Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:44
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 28, 2013

Hello everyone

A client of mine has started sending me MemoQ bilingual review files instead of the earlier TTX or XLF formats, for translation. The problem is that the files contain a lot of tags, and to translate it properly, I need to know what the tags mean. In a TTX or XLF viewer, I can see what the full tag is, but in the bilingual review file from MemoQ I see only things like [1] or [2]. The result is that I have to redo many segments after the client's reviewer noted trans
... See more
Hello everyone

A client of mine has started sending me MemoQ bilingual review files instead of the earlier TTX or XLF formats, for translation. The problem is that the files contain a lot of tags, and to translate it properly, I need to know what the tags mean. In a TTX or XLF viewer, I can see what the full tag is, but in the bilingual review file from MemoQ I see only things like [1] or [2]. The result is that I have to redo many segments after the client's reviewer noted translation errors that are due only because I misguessed what a tag was for.

Is it possible (so that I can tell my agency client) to create a bilingual review file that contains fuller tags instead of just those numbers?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:44
Finnish to French
They need to tick the relevant option Nov 28, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
Is it possible (so that I can tell my agency client) to create a bilingual review file that contains fuller tags instead of just those numbers?

Yes, it's possible, if they tick the relevant option (unticked by default):

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dominique Nov 28, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Yes, it's possible, if they tick the relevant option (unticked by default)...

Nice.

Say, the source file is an XLF file and it has a "maxwidth" attribute in the trans-unit tag. Is there any way to get that value into the bilingual review file? I try to keep my translations as short as I can, but about half of the errors that I have to fix, are segment length errors.

Carl Carter
Carl Carter
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Ask for a PDF to refer to Nov 28, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote: the files contain a lot of tags, and to translate them properly, I need to know what the tags mean.

Hi Samuel,

Why not just ask the customer for a PDF to show you what the original file looks like? That way, you'll have all the contextual information you need to interpret the tags correctly.

It seems from what you say that your customer wants you to do a final check of a translation, but to do that properly, you'll need to see the source version in its full glory rather than in a tagged form.

Regards,

Carl

[Edited at 2013-11-28 12:28 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Carl Nov 28, 2013

Carl Carter wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote: the files contain a lot of tags, and to translate them properly, I need to know what the tags mean.

Why not just ask the customer for a PDF to show you what the original file looks like? That way, you'll have all the contextual information you need to interpret the tags correctly.

Referring to a PDF is something that I would want to avoid, because it would mean that for every segment in the CAT tool, I have to switch windows to the PDF file and locate the segment manually, and even then there will be a measure of guesswork involved, if the tag does not indicate something that is visible on the PDF.

It seems from what you say that your customer wants you to do a final check of a translation, but to do that properly, you'll need to see the source version in its full glory rather than in a tagged form.

No, I don't have to do the final check. The final check is done by someone else, but I have to implement the fixes. The fixes mostly involve things that I would normally be able to prevent, if I had access to the tags and the original file's code. What I want to prevent is double work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to include fuller tags in bilingual review export

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »