Natalya Sogolovsky  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:53
Member (2010)
Hebrew to Russian
+ ...
Mar 28, 2014

Hi,
I'm translating a document of some 20,000 words from Hebrew into Russian, and in some parts of it (NOT in all of the document!) a very strange thing happens.
The program seems not to "see" the translation correctly. I mean that in the editor view everything is fine, but in the translation results there are no letters, just all kinds of arrows. I tried to export the ready part of translation - and it's the same in the Word document.

Could you please advise me what t
... See more
Hi,
I'm translating a document of some 20,000 words from Hebrew into Russian, and in some parts of it (NOT in all of the document!) a very strange thing happens.
The program seems not to "see" the translation correctly. I mean that in the editor view everything is fine, but in the translation results there are no letters, just all kinds of arrows. I tried to export the ready part of translation - and it's the same in the Word document.

Could you please advise me what to do with it? (Rather than copy-paste the translation in Word?)

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You should be… Mar 28, 2014

…more specific. In spite of quite a wordiness, very few useful detail is provided. What do you mean under “all kinds of arrows”? What is the source document format? It’s a good idea to share the document or its part representing the problem.

[Edited at 2014-03-28 11:37 GMT]

Natalya Sogolovsky
Israel
Member (2010)
Hebrew to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I received the document in Word from my customer Mar 28, 2014

and opened it in MemoQ without any problem.
When I started to translate, I found out that, although I have no problem seeing both the original text and my translation while doing the job, the bottom part of the screen where the translation preview is offered, shows all kinds of arrows.
I exported the translation, and the arrows are still there.
I cannot publish the document here, being bound by the NDA, but I did try to publish some of the arrows in my post. They turned to squ
... See more
and opened it in MemoQ without any problem.
When I started to translate, I found out that, although I have no problem seeing both the original text and my translation while doing the job, the bottom part of the screen where the translation preview is offered, shows all kinds of arrows.
I exported the translation, and the arrows are still there.
I cannot publish the document here, being bound by the NDA, but I did try to publish some of the arrows in my post. They turned to squares


In this part of the document, for example
8.1 הזכויות הנלוות למנית המדינה המיוחדת

הון המניות של החברה יכלול מניית המדינה המיוחדת

מניית המדינה המיוחדת תוחזק על ידי מדינת ישראל באמצעות ממשלת ישראל כמפורט להלן.

הזכויות המפורטות להלן הן הזכויות שמקנה מניית המדינה המיוחדת והן צמודות למניה זו, ופרט להן לא תקנה מניית המדינה המיוחדת למחזיק בה זכויות הצבעה או זכויות הוניות כלשהן, הכל מבלי לגרוע מזכויות המדינה מכוח כל דין, לרבות כבעלת מניות בחברה.

the first 2 lines can be read and translated normally, and the rest becomes unreadable in the translation results, though I don't see any difference in font or any special tags.

Thank you for help!
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Still hard to guess Mar 28, 2014

What you publish here seems to be just a set of incorrectly decoded Unicode symbols. Unfortunately, this can’t help much, as you can’t show the real file. Which Word format is your document? Try to save to to RTF, or to DOCX (if it’s DOC), or to DOC (if it’s DOCX). Or, if you have Apache OpenOffice/LibreOffice, to ODF. Does the problem persist? Also, are you sure that the font in the document has Cyrillic characters?

[Edited at 2014-03-28 18:05 GMT]

Natalya Sogolovsky
Israel
Member (2010)
Hebrew to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked!!! :-) Mar 28, 2014

Thank you very much! I just saved the DOCX as DOC - and that solved the problem!
Thank you for your help, I understand it is not easy to give recommendations without being able to see the file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arrows instead of letters in "translation results"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »