SafeTex
SafeTex
France
Local time: 19:03
French to English
+ ...
Jun 2, 2023

Hello everyonešŸ˜Š

I wanted to talk about ChatGPT and a program called CotranslatorAI, which provides an interface for using ChatGPT, not strictly necessary but which I'd recommend to you.

The idea came from a guy called Steven Bammel and the program itself was written by Stanislav Okhvat, creator of TransTools, who many of you know or have heard of.

This means that you can install the program without any worries about adware, malware etc.

As t
... See more
Hello everyonešŸ˜Š

I wanted to talk about ChatGPT and a program called CotranslatorAI, which provides an interface for using ChatGPT, not strictly necessary but which I'd recommend to you.

The idea came from a guy called Steven Bammel and the program itself was written by Stanislav Okhvat, creator of TransTools, who many of you know or have heard of.

This means that you can install the program without any worries about adware, malware etc.

As the program is presently free of charge, you do not even need to provide any bank details.

There is a free webinar coming up on Proz on 6 June, hosted by both Steven and Stanislav, on how to both install and use CotranslatorAI, and you can sign up here:

https://training.proz.com/cotranslatorai

Finally, if you are wondering how all of this could possibly be free, itā€™s because Steven also offers boot camps (in-depth paid training), which is NOT compulsory but does help to finance the program at present. But if this does change at some point, it does NOT mean that you have committed to anything. So take advantage of the present situationšŸ˜œ

And just for the record, as my text sounds a bit too much like marketing for my own taste, I'm a translator like you and have no financial interest in this project whatsoever.

I'm recommending CotranslatorAI much like I would recommend any other very useful program for translators.

Regards

Dave Neve (SafeTex)
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:03
Russian to English
+ ...
Initial impressions Jun 2, 2023

I just downloaded and installed the app. I gave it a quick trial, and Iā€™m impressed.

Iā€™ve been using ChatGPT as a translation assistant with a free account for some time now. Iā€™ve found it especially helpful at answering questions about technical terminology and even uncommon idioms. Iā€™ve written a couple of prompts that coax ChatGPT into giving me quite good translations that surpass what Google Translate and DeepL can do. They arenā€™t always perfect, but even when they f
... See more
I just downloaded and installed the app. I gave it a quick trial, and Iā€™m impressed.

Iā€™ve been using ChatGPT as a translation assistant with a free account for some time now. Iā€™ve found it especially helpful at answering questions about technical terminology and even uncommon idioms. Iā€™ve written a couple of prompts that coax ChatGPT into giving me quite good translations that surpass what Google Translate and DeepL can do. They arenā€™t always perfect, but even when they fail to meet my standards they typically require little tweaking.

However, the cutting and pasting back and forth between my CAT tool and a web browser is time consuming. CotranslatorAIā€™s shortcuts speed things up a bit, and the use of an OpenAI API lets me access the more advanced models and pay only for the tokens I use. Iā€™ve been tempted to develop an app like CotranslatorAI myself to deal with that. Now I donā€™t have to.

Iā€™m looking forward to exploring what GPT can do with fuzzy matches. CAT tools can sometimes help if the fuzziness level isnā€™t too high, but the AI should be able to take it a step or two further. I expect to see that ā€” and other features ā€” built into future versions of existing CAT tools soon, however.

My only complaint so far is the awkwardness of some of the keyboard shortcuts. I mean, CTRL + SHFT + ALT + F12? Really?
Collapse

Julio Carrero

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Code Jun 2, 2023

SafeTex wrote:

ā€œTalk is cheap. Show me the code.ā€
ā€“ Linus Torvalds

Daryo
Alberto

SafeTex
SafeTex
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So don't use it then Jun 4, 2023

Mr. Satan wrote:

SafeTex wrote:

ā€œTalk is cheap. Show me the code.ā€
ā€“ Linus Torvalds

You are right to be wary but you are wrong to be so dismissive and sharp in your tone

Firstly, you could go to the TransTools website and contact Stanislav Okhvat himself and ask if he really did write the program.
Then you could check out TransTools on a website like LO4D.com to see if that is free of adware and malware

https://transtools.en.lo4d.com/virus-malware-tests

Also, I'm pretty sure you have Windows installed, an email client, and a bunch of other software.

Have you asked all of them for the code and did they give it to you?? Do you have the code for all the apps on your smartphone?

Frankly, a translator who calls himself Mr. SATAN with ZERO client references in 3 years is not very reassuring either.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Whoa, thereā€¦ Jun 5, 2023

SafeTex wrote:
Firstly, you could go to the TransTools website and contact Stanislav Okhvat himself and ask if he really did write the program.
Then you could check out TransTools on a website like LO4D.com to see if that is free of adware and malware

https://transtools.en.lo4d.com/virus-malware-tests

Thatā€™s beside the point. If the source code is publicly available, anyone can audit it. Thus, eliminating all doubts surrounding the program. At its current closed-source state, CotranslatorAI is a Schrƶdingerā€™s app: itā€™s both malware and not-malware. For the record, I also apply the same philosophy to all closed-source software. Iā€™m not picking on CotranslatorAI, in case you think that.

Also, I'm pretty sure you have Windows installed,

Nope, I now use Linux. Have never booted into Windows since I converted.

an email client,

My email client is NeoMutt, which is completely open-source.

and a bunch of other software.

They are all open-source, too. LibreOffice, Neovim, GIMP, mpv, ranger, qutebrowser, Alacritty, KVM/QEMU, Sway. All of these programs are created and maintained with a transparent open-source software development model.

Have you asked all of them for the code and did they give it to you??

Actually, yes. Open-source software developers make the source codes of their programs available for everyone. If you have the skills, you can even contribute to make the software better.

Anyway, sorry if I sounded aggressive in my previous post. I am but a humble libre and open-source software advocate, and itā€™s my full intention to spread the gospel in every places I happen to visit, both virtual and in real life.

Frankly, a translator who calls himself Mr. SATAN with ZERO client references in 3 years is not very reassuring either.

Thank you, and have a wonderful day (I really mean it).

[Edited at 2023-06-05 09:10 GMT]

Iulia Parvu
Iulia Parvu  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:03
Member (2022)
English to Romanian
+ ...
free for 3 months Jun 7, 2023

SafeTex wrote:

Hello everyonešŸ˜Š

As the program is presently free of charge, you do not even need to provide any bank details.

There is a free webinar coming up on Proz on 6 June, hosted by both Steven and Stanislav, on how to both install and use CotranslatorAI, and you can sign up here:

https://training.proz.com/cotranslatorai

Finally, if you are wondering how all of this could possibly be free, itā€™s because Steven also offers boot camps (in-depth paid training), which is NOT compulsory but does help to finance the program at present. But if this does change at some point, it does NOT mean that you have committed to anything. So take advantage of the present situationšŸ˜œ

And just for the record, as my text sounds a bit too much like marketing for my own taste, I'm a translator like you and have no financial interest in this project whatsoever.

I'm recommending CotranslatorAI much like I would recommend any other very useful program for translators.

Regards

Dave Neve (SafeTex)

Did you mention that you get an API key and free credit for 3 months, then you have to pay?

SafeTex
SafeTex
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Julia and all Jun 7, 2023

Nope, I did NOT mention that as it is completely WRONG

CotranslatorAI is a program that helps you connect to ChatGPT

It is ChatGPT that you'll eventually have to pay for, once your trial period or number of characters or whatever has expired. You can see all this on their website.

On the other hand, CotranslatorAI is completely FREE to download and use at present, and I explained how it is being financed at present in my original post, and that that busines
... See more
Nope, I did NOT mention that as it is completely WRONG

CotranslatorAI is a program that helps you connect to ChatGPT

It is ChatGPT that you'll eventually have to pay for, once your trial period or number of characters or whatever has expired. You can see all this on their website.

On the other hand, CotranslatorAI is completely FREE to download and use at present, and I explained how it is being financed at present in my original post, and that that business model might change in the future (who knows) but you are not committed in any way (no bank details are needed at present to download it so nobody is going to get a nasty surprise).

To give you an analogy, it's like when you use your CAT tool to connect to Bing Translate.

The CAT Tool does not normally charge you any extra for the API but you still might have to subscribe to and maybe pay Bing Translate for the service depending on their terms at any time.

I hope this makes it clear to you this time.
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
The best way to access ChatGPT is still GT4T, IYAM Jun 21, 2023

While CotranslatorAI is interesting, I think the best way to access ChatGPT in my CAT tool (memoQ) is currently to have GT4T automatically translate my current segment. I have GT4T set to automatically show me a table of multiple machine translation providers, including ChatGPT (GPT 3.5 + GPT 4.0).

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Much more expensive, though... Jun 21, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:

While CotranslatorAI is interesting, I think the best way to access ChatGPT in my CAT tool (memoQ) is currently to have GT4T automatically translate my current segment. I have GT4T set to automatically show me a table of multiple machine translation providers, including ChatGPT (GPT 3.5 + GPT 4.0).

I believe?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
perhaps, but well worth it Jun 21, 2023

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

I believe?

I am currently paying around Ā£250/year, for the "GT4T Pro 1 Pack - yearly subscription". Which, to me, is a bargain in terms of what I get for it. I can select text anywhere on my computer, in any CAT tool or other text area, and a very useful dialogue immediately pops up with my selection translated by a multitude of different MT engines.

GT4T

I also made a little screencast of the other available MT engines: https://app.screencast.com/eHSpu1eWaq5d8

My main way of using GT4T is as follows. In memoQ, I generally use the built-in MT plug-ins, and use GT4T on an ad hoc basis on smaller selections within my segments in the translation.

GT4T also has a very cool dictionary feature, which allows you to enforce custom terminology in the MT output using simple glossaries which are basically Excel files.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Jun 21, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

I believe?

I am currently paying around Ā£250/year, for the "GT4T Pro 1 Pack - yearly subscription". Which, to me, is a bargain in terms of what I get for it. I can select text anywhere on my computer, in any CAT tool or other text area, and a very useful dialogue immediately pops up with my selection translated by a multitude of different MT engines.

GT4T

I also made a little screencast of the other available MT engines: https://app.screencast.com/eHSpu1eWaq5d8

My main way of using GT4T is as follows. In memoQ, I generally use the built-in MT plug-ins, and use GT4T on an ad hoc basis on smaller selections within my segments in the translation.

GT4T also has a very cool dictionary feature, which allows you to enforce custom terminology in the MT output using simple glossaries which are basically Excel files.

I know... it works out at Ā£0,67/day... but don't tell Dallas!

SafeTex
SafeTex
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
#mt ChatGPT and CotranslatorAI +GT4T Jun 22, 2023

Hello again

I attended the Proz TV stream yesterday hosted by Steven Bammel who created CAI and he mentioned a number of software, including GT4T.

But I don't have it so I can't really comment on it. I'm interested to know though whether you can give it instructions for ChatGPT or does it just provide you with a translation?

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this question

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
yes, you can customise your prompts! Jun 23, 2023

SafeTex wrote:

Hello again

I attended the Proz TV stream yesterday hosted by Steven Bammel who created CAI and he mentioned a number of software, including GT4T.

But I don't have it so I can't really comment on it. I'm interested to know though whether you can give it instructions for ChatGPT or does it just provide you with a translation?

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this question

Have a look!

https://app.screencast.com/hjfk6Egh6ybSe

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
recent ChatGPT idea on CafeTran forum Jun 23, 2023

ChatGPT idea on CafeTran forum

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

#mt ChatGPT and CotranslatorAI

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »