Kjetil Holm  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 22:27
Member (2020)
German to Norwegian
+ ...
Jun 27, 2023

Hello,

I have a request to use the Opus plugin for machine translation in MemoQ. I was able to download some models and import the plugin to MemoQ, but it seems no hits are imported. How can I know if the plugin is actually working? Or if it is NOT working? I have only tried with MemoQ 10.1 so far. I really need to figure this out, since it is a big project with opportunities. Is anyone working with the Opus plugin in MemoQ?

Kjetil

[Edited at 2023-06-27 22:51 GMT
... See more
Hello,

I have a request to use the Opus plugin for machine translation in MemoQ. I was able to download some models and import the plugin to MemoQ, but it seems no hits are imported. How can I know if the plugin is actually working? Or if it is NOT working? I have only tried with MemoQ 10.1 so far. I really need to figure this out, since it is a big project with opportunities. Is anyone working with the Opus plugin in MemoQ?

Kjetil

[Edited at 2023-06-27 22:51 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:27
English to Russian
OPUS CAT instructions for memoQ Jun 28, 2023

Have you done all these steps?* (The instructions are for FiskmoMTPlugin.dll, but in your case it is OpusCatMTPlugin.dll)
*In the 'Installing the memoQ plugin' section, keep in mind that 'Fiskmo' = 'OPUS' for you in this te
... See more
Have you done all these steps?* (The instructions are for FiskmoMTPlugin.dll, but in your case it is OpusCatMTPlugin.dll)
*In the 'Installing the memoQ plugin' section, keep in mind that 'Fiskmo' = 'OPUS' for you in this text, and skip step 1 because you have to download the plugin from a different location (see link 1 below at the end of this comment).

Step 3 is very important. The correct path for OpusCatMTPlugin.dll is C:\Program Files\memoQ\memoQ-10\Addins
Once you have copied the dll file, start memoQ, or close it and re-start if it was opened before you copied the dll file.
Confirm the unsigned plugin when requested. Unfortunately I don't know how to prevent this message. You seem to confirm it every time you start memoQ... By the way do you receive this message when you start memoQ? If not, keep reading. If yes, you have installed the plugin correctly, but still keep reading.

Other steps seem to be pretty obvious, but don't forget to click the 'Retrieve language pair information' command in step 7, 'Setting up the plugin for memoQ' section.
Also, check the MT engine in step 2, 'Adding the MT settings to a translation project' section.

Make sure that OPUS CAT MT Engine (a standalone piece of software, see link 2 below at the end of this comment) is running along with memoQ.

You can know the plugin is working if you can see the dark orange marker and a translation provider name in the lower right corner.

But first of all, make sure you have the required components:

1. OPUS CAT plugins (including the one for memoQ):
https://github.com/Helsinki-NLP/OPUS-CAT/releases/download/opuscatcollection_v1.0.0/OPUSCATv1.0.0.zip
(this is where you can find OpusCatMTPlugin.dll)

2. OPUS CAT MT Engine:
https://github.com/Helsinki-NLP/OPUS-CAT/releases/download/engine_v1.2.0/OpusCatMtEngine_v1.2.0.zip
(this is what must be running all the time when you use OPUS)

[Edited at 2023-06-28 02:21 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer

Kjetil Holm
Norway
Member (2020)
German to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Getting there ... Jun 28, 2023

Thanks a lot for taking time for such a detailed reply. I think I am getting there, but the Opus plugin does not show when I open a project for translation (no translation results). Under the project settings, the plugin appears to be connected - and I have added it under MT settings. I have the Opus engine running. When I try to perform a pretranslation of the file, I am unable to tick off the box "Use machine translation if there is no TM or corpus match". So it seems for some reason that the ... See more
Thanks a lot for taking time for such a detailed reply. I think I am getting there, but the Opus plugin does not show when I open a project for translation (no translation results). Under the project settings, the plugin appears to be connected - and I have added it under MT settings. I have the Opus engine running. When I try to perform a pretranslation of the file, I am unable to tick off the box "Use machine translation if there is no TM or corpus match". So it seems for some reason that the plugin is not connected after all.Collapse

Stepan Konev

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Have you also selected the correct settings in your active MT settings? Jun 28, 2023

Kjetil Holm wrote:

Thanks a lot for taking time for such a detailed reply. I think I am getting there, but the Opus plugin does not show when I open a project for translation (no translation results). Under the project settings, the plugin appears to be connected - and I have added it under MT settings. I have the Opus engine running. When I try to perform a pretranslation of the file, I am unable to tick off the box "Use machine translation if there is no TM or corpus match". So it seems for some reason that the plugin is not connected after all.

Have you also selected the correct settings in your active MT settings?

MT settings

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
related thread: Jun 28, 2023

https://www.proz.com/forum/machine_translation_mt/360614-is_opus_worthwhile.html

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Opus plugin Jun 28, 2023

Kjetil Holm wrote:
I think I am getting there, but the Opus plugin does not show when I open a project for translation (no translation results).
When you start memoQ, do you receive the below message? If no, then the plugin is not installed yet.

I tried to contact you by sending a message but your profile is closed for such messages. If you totally need the plugin to work, I can help you install it properly via Teamviewer.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
did you also remember to start 'OpusCatMTEngine.exe' before opening memoQ? Jun 28, 2023

I'm assuming you did, just checking...

Kjetil Holm
Norway
Member (2020)
German to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Jun 29, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:

Kjetil Holm wrote:

Thanks a lot for taking time for such a detailed reply. I think I am getting there, but the Opus plugin does not show when I open a project for translation (no translation results). Under the project settings, the plugin appears to be connected - and I have added it under MT settings. I have the Opus engine running. When I try to perform a pretranslation of the file, I am unable to tick off the box "Use machine translation if there is no TM or corpus match". So it seems for some reason that the plugin is not connected after all.

Have you also selected the correct settings in your active MT settings?

MT settings

I did this, but now I get an error message ("General error") when trying to edit the MT settings. So something is not quite right.

Kjetil Holm
Norway
Member (2020)
German to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Jun 29, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Kjetil Holm wrote:
I think I am getting there, but the Opus plugin does not show when I open a project for translation (no translation results).
When you start memoQ, do you receive the below message? If no, then the plugin is not installed yet.

I tried to contact you by sending a message but your profile is closed for such messages. If you totally need the plugin to work, I can help you install it properly via Teamviewer.

Yes, I get this message, everything seems to be OK, but when I open a file for translation the plugin is not anywhere to be seen. By the way, is it a requirement that the languages of a translation file in MemoQ are identical to the languages I choose as model languages in the Opus engine?

I got tired of "spam messages" on the site and chose not to receive messages for a while. But I have now opened for messages again, so feel free to contact me.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Opus MT Jun 29, 2023

Kjetil Holm wrote:
By the way, is it a requirement that the languages of a translation file in MemoQ are identical to the languages I choose as model languages in the Opus engine?
Sure. If the model is En-No, then your project must be En-No too. No matter whether it is UK or US, but En-No is a must. And vice versa, if your project is No-En, you need to use a No-En model.
Please contact me on skype k-stepan1

[Edited at 2023-06-29 02:13 GMT]

Milan Condak

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use Opus plugin in MemoQ (MT), help urgently needed

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »