Автор темы: COMEGLIO PAOLA
COMEGLIO PAOLA
COMEGLIO PAOLA  Identity Verified
Италия
Local time: 03:57
английский => итальянский
+ ...
Jun 1, 2016

ON APPLYING WITH A TRANSLATIONS AGENCY, I AM REQUIRED TO GIVE BANK DETAILS. IS THIS A COMMON PROCEDURE? I MEAN. THEY ASK BANK DETAILS BEFORE EVEN KNOWING IF I AM GOING TO BE SUITABLE FOR THEIR TRANSLATION JOBS. OR AM I SIMPLY TOO CAUTIOUS? PLS LET ME NOW IF IT HAPPENED TO SMEONE OF YOU
THANKS
PAOLA

Tom in London
Tom in London
Великобритания
Local time: 02:57
Член ProZ.com c 2008
итальянский => английский
Never . Jun 1, 2016

COMEGLIO PAOLA wrote:

ON APPLYING WITH A TRANSLATIONS AGENCY, I AM REQUIRED TO GIVE BANK DETAILS. IS THIS A COMMON PROCEDURE? I MEAN. THEY ASK BANK DETAILS BEFORE EVEN KNOWING IF I AM GOING TO BE SUITABLE FOR THEIR TRANSLATION JOBS. OR AM I SIMPLY TOO CAUTIOUS? PLS LET ME NOW IF IT HAPPENED TO SMEONE OF YOU
THANKS
PAOLA

Never give your bank details until -

- the job is confirmed
- you have a verified postal business address for the agency

Just tell them "My bank details will be given on my invoice".

If they are not happy with that, drop them.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Италия
Член ProZ.com
Generally Jun 1, 2016

COMEGLIO PAOLA wrote:

PLS LET ME NOW IF IT HAPPENED TO SMEONE OF YOU

After passing their translation test and/or having agreed on rates, when it comes to signing a SLA or similar document. At any rate, is the client on the BB or otherwise well known/established?

COMEGLIO PAOLA
Италия
+ ...
Автор темы
BANK DETAILS Jun 1, 2016

The client is on BB and, checking through his web site, he looks well-established. The point is that, in case a do not fill the bank field, I cannot go on with the application form.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Испания
Local time: 02:57
Член ProZ.com c 2007
английский
+ ...
Can you not do as Tom advises? Jun 1, 2016

COMEGLIO PAOLA wrote:
in case a do not fill the bank field, I cannot go on with the application form.

It's normally just a free-form text field so you could complete it as Tom suggested, or TBA (To Be Advised).

2GT
2GT  Identity Verified
Италия
+ ...
No fear Jun 1, 2016

COMEGLIO PAOLA:
The client is on BB and, checking through his web site, he looks well-established. The point is that, in case a do not fill the bank field, I cannot go on with the application form.

Then, just provide your bank data. At worst they can make a bank transfer for you.

Cheers
Gianni

COMEGLIO PAOLA
Италия
+ ...
Автор темы
bank details Jun 1, 2016

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Испания
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => испанский
+ ...
No bank details yet Jun 1, 2016

Bank details should appear on your invoice, or given when there is actual paid work. Any sensible customer will understand that. If they do not understand it and insist in asking for the details before any work is ordered, then A) you are talking to an associate who blindly follows orders or B) the agency is not that reasonable. You always have the option of entering "To be advised" as suggested by the colleagues.

[Edited at 2016-06-01 18:28 GMT]

Tuguldur Batmunkh
Tuguldur Batmunkh  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 21:57
английский => монгольский
+ ...
payment to bank is not common Jun 2, 2016

In my experience, only a long term-partners OR federal government agents typically ask for bank details (routing and account number) upon job is approved, but it may not be a prefered payment tool for private businesses. Anyways, Tomás Cano and Sheila Wilson suggested well!

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:57
немецкий => английский
+ ...
How true or common is this? Jun 4, 2016

Tuguldur Batmunkh wrote:

In my experience, only a long term-partners OR federal government agents typically ask for bank details (routing and account number) upon job is approved, but it may not be a prefered payment tool for private businesses. Anyways, Tomás Cano and Sheila Wilson suggested well!

If your customers don't pay to your bank, then how do they pay you? The most common ways that I am paid is:
- bank transfer (to my bank account)
- cheque

On very rare occasions I accept payment by Paypal, but avoid it as much as possible since it incurs extra charges - Paypal keeps some of what I receive so I need to add a surcharge to cover those costs.

So is this common in other countries perhaps, for bank transfers to be rare as a mode of payment?

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Канада
Local time: 21:57
Член ProZ.com c 2008
французский => английский
+ ...
Bank transfers = high fees Jun 4, 2016

I never accept bank transfers on amounts less than $500, as the fees are way too high.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Италия
Член ProZ.com
Country specific Jun 5, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

I never accept bank transfers on amounts less than $500, as the fees are way too high.

I believe that also depends on where you and your client are located... If both you and your client are within SEPA territory, then there probably won't be any fees at all.

As for non-EU transfers, are high fees the norm? In my experience, if you find a client that uses a (non-bank) intermediary payment service, you may even end up not paying any fees and being charged reasonable currency exchange fees.

Also, other services, such as PayPal, tend to be quite expensive, as the sum of transaction fee and conversion fee can easily be as high as 5% (or even more, depending on the payer's and payee's countries, I believe).

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:57
немецкий => английский
+ ...
on fees Jun 5, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

I only have one international regular client. They take care of the fees, and I am paid the full amount I am owed. We have an arrangement of them paying every 2 - 3 months to keep the fees down at their end, which I accept because they are a very good customer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BANK DETAILS

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »