When quoting for a translation project, do I include the cost of hiring a proofreader?
Thread poster: Madeline Robinson
Madeline Robinson
Madeline Robinson
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:25
Italian to English
Aug 29, 2018

Hello everybody,

I'm currently in the process for quoting to translate a book which I feel warrants a proofreader to check the accuracy of my translation.

What is standard practice in working this into my fee?

Does one usually raise the price per word of the translation accordingly to cover the costs of hiring our proofreader?

Or does one simply take the proofreader's pay out of one's own translation fee?

I'm keen to win this wo
... See more
Hello everybody,

I'm currently in the process for quoting to translate a book which I feel warrants a proofreader to check the accuracy of my translation.

What is standard practice in working this into my fee?

Does one usually raise the price per word of the translation accordingly to cover the costs of hiring our proofreader?

Or does one simply take the proofreader's pay out of one's own translation fee?

I'm keen to win this work, but am concerned that asking the client for a higher price as a result of hiring my proofreader will put me out of the running for the job.

I'd love to hear any thoughts on this.

All the best
Collapse

James Heppe-Smith
James Heppe-Smith  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:25
German to English

Moderator of this forum
My standard practice... Aug 29, 2018

...for non-literary translation, is to quote with the proofreading as a separate cost which is optional for the client.

If you think it is necessary, and do not want the client to have the ability approve it, I would include it in the overall cost in your quotation.

It really depends what the client's budget is, and what the market rates are for literary translation, which you are in a much better position to know than I am.

Good luck with the quote, and ho
... See more
...for non-literary translation, is to quote with the proofreading as a separate cost which is optional for the client.

If you think it is necessary, and do not want the client to have the ability approve it, I would include it in the overall cost in your quotation.

It really depends what the client's budget is, and what the market rates are for literary translation, which you are in a much better position to know than I am.

Good luck with the quote, and hope you get the job.

James
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christine Andersen

Gregory Flanders
Gregory Flanders  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:25
French to English
+ ...
Proofreading is the editor's responsibility Aug 29, 2018

I've translated two books for two reputable publishing houses, and both took care of the proofreading either internally or through outsourcing. I would say that you should give them a quote for your translation only.

If, however, you want to send them proofread work, you can hire your own proofreader and take it out of your fee.

But from my experience, book translations go through several proofreading/copy editing stages and are looked at by multiple readers before be
... See more
I've translated two books for two reputable publishing houses, and both took care of the proofreading either internally or through outsourcing. I would say that you should give them a quote for your translation only.

If, however, you want to send them proofread work, you can hire your own proofreader and take it out of your fee.

But from my experience, book translations go through several proofreading/copy editing stages and are looked at by multiple readers before being sent out to the printers. I don't think your fees as a translator need to reflect that.

[Edited at 2018-08-29 09:40 GMT]
Collapse

Alessandra Ogna Meza

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't know if there is a standard practice... Aug 29, 2018

For some books I’ve translated over the years I also took care of the proofreading and this was included in the overall quote, but for other books the publisher was responsible for the proofreading, namely for a book translated in collaboration with a medical doctor: each of us signed a contract with the publisher.

Madeline Robinson
Madeline Robinson
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all. Also: royalties? Aug 29, 2018

Thank you all so much for your comments - they are greatly appreciated.

James - the book is in fact non-fiction (academic art history publication) so your comment was very pertinent.

I'm dealing directly with the client for the moment, who wants to then go on to publish it (by his own means I assume).

When signing the contract for the freelance translation, should I be asking for a clause about royalties too?

(I'm pretty new to the game, so I
... See more
Thank you all so much for your comments - they are greatly appreciated.

James - the book is in fact non-fiction (academic art history publication) so your comment was very pertinent.

I'm dealing directly with the client for the moment, who wants to then go on to publish it (by his own means I assume).

When signing the contract for the freelance translation, should I be asking for a clause about royalties too?

(I'm pretty new to the game, so I'm grateful for your patience in answering these questions!)
Collapse

Alessandra Ogna Meza
Alessandra Ogna Meza
United States
Local time: 14:25
English to Italian
+ ...
Editing vs Proofreading Aug 30, 2018

Translators are rarely asked to proofread. That task is usually performed by the agency and they call it "quality assurance" or "QA."  It just involves checking spelling, punctuation,  figures, formatting, etc.  Translators are called on to "edit" the work of other translators.  This involves comparing the translated text with the source-language text and making sure that there are no translation errors or omissions.  If you're translating for a direct client, all of this should be included... See more
Translators are rarely asked to proofread. That task is usually performed by the agency and they call it "quality assurance" or "QA."  It just involves checking spelling, punctuation,  figures, formatting, etc.  Translators are called on to "edit" the work of other translators.  This involves comparing the translated text with the source-language text and making sure that there are no translation errors or omissions.  If you're translating for a direct client, all of this should be included in your fee.  You can't charge for proofreading or editing your own work.

[Edited at 2018-08-30 02:43 GMT]
Collapse

Min Kyu Kim
Min Kyu Kim
United States
Local time: 14:25
To be charged extra.. Aug 30, 2018

Proofreading process is generally done by professional proofreading service and is charged extra. As Proofreading is an essential ingredient in success of any book, which makes author best deliver his thoughts onto readers, usually writers are ready to pay some amount for this.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Quoting Aug 30, 2018

When quoting for any job, you must include all your costs. That includes heating and lighting, computers and software, consumables, and everything else including, yes, a proofreader if you think you'll need one.

Christine Andersen
Kevin Fulton

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 12:25
Dutch to English
+ ...
Publisher or self-published? Aug 31, 2018

Hi Madeline, of course it's exciting to be asked to translate a book. But as you can see, several of the comments above assume that there is an agency or publisher involved. I think it is risky to negotiate directly with an author to translate an entire book at once without having a lot more information.

If the author intends to find a publisher, he should first write a book proposal (what is the book about, how is it different from other similar books on the market, who are the in
... See more
Hi Madeline, of course it's exciting to be asked to translate a book. But as you can see, several of the comments above assume that there is an agency or publisher involved. I think it is risky to negotiate directly with an author to translate an entire book at once without having a lot more information.

If the author intends to find a publisher, he should first write a book proposal (what is the book about, how is it different from other similar books on the market, who are the intended readers, etc.). He could ask you to translate a sample of important parts of the book (such as the table of contents, introduction, a few sample pages from each chapter, and the conclusion) to present to various publishers along with the book proposal. If a publishing company is interested in the book and in your translation, they will contact you and negotiate a contract with you.

If the author plans to self-publish the book, you would need to have more information about the how, where, and how many and you would need a guarantee about how you will be paid and where those payments are going to come from. You would need to have a formal contract (there are examples on the internet) signed by the author and yourself and possibly also by witnesses.
You can either do the translation as a 'work for hire', i.e. you will be paid xx per word like any other translation (plus a proofreader if the author agrees), or you can negotiate to get royalties. I have done it both ways and I have to say that the royalty option was very disappointing.

If you have questions, feel free to contact me via proz.com
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When quoting for a translation project, do I include the cost of hiring a proofreader?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »