What is an average price for Czech to English translation of marketing web articles?
Thread poster: Tereza Piskláková
Tereza Piskláková
Tereza Piskláková
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:36
English to Czech
May 24, 2021

As a beginner freelancer, I received my first job offer. I do not have any experience with setting a rate for one standard page, so I would like to ask how should I set the price in case I am relatively new and might not be able to perform as well as a professional translator with years of experience in the field. I mainly wish to gain more experience and receive good references from my client. Should I lower my price by 30-40% compare to the standard market price of well-established professiona... See more
As a beginner freelancer, I received my first job offer. I do not have any experience with setting a rate for one standard page, so I would like to ask how should I set the price in case I am relatively new and might not be able to perform as well as a professional translator with years of experience in the field. I mainly wish to gain more experience and receive good references from my client. Should I lower my price by 30-40% compare to the standard market price of well-established professionals? Thank you very much for your advice.

[Upraveno: 2021-05-24 07:44 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:36
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tereza May 24, 2021

I wouldn’t lower my price. Instead I would pay an experienced translator to review my translation. Good luck!

Teresa

[Edited at 2021-05-24 16:37 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Tereza Piskláková
Tanja Oresnik
janamentberg
P.L.F. Persio
Ester Vidal
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Undercutting May 26, 2021

Teresa is being diplomatic and polite, as always, and her solution is a distinct possibility for the moment.

Please don't undercut.

[Edited at 2021-05-26 10:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-05-26 10:50 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Christel Zipfel

Tereza Piskláková
Tereza Piskláková
Czech Republic
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
Undercutting May 27, 2021

I am very grateful for a valuable feedback I received in this forum.

I believe it is always better to ask my peers for their opinion before assuming what is a correct thing to do. Now I have more insight into the problematic of lowering the price. As Teresa suggested, I will have my work reviewed by someone with more experience and set the rate according to the market price.

Thank you for taking time to answer my questions and providing me with an important feedback.... See more
I am very grateful for a valuable feedback I received in this forum.

I believe it is always better to ask my peers for their opinion before assuming what is a correct thing to do. Now I have more insight into the problematic of lowering the price. As Teresa suggested, I will have my work reviewed by someone with more experience and set the rate according to the market price.

Thank you for taking time to answer my questions and providing me with an important feedback.

Tereza
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christel Zipfel
P.L.F. Persio

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Review May 27, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:
I wouldn’t lower my price. Instead I would pay an experienced translator to review my translation.

In fact, it doesn't even have to be a paid review. If I were asked to review a young colleague's translation in one of my fields, I would not charge any money to look at it, give general tips on improving it, have the translator implement them, then look at it again and give another round of tips. If the translation needed more involvement on my part, I might be willing to help in exchange for the younger colleague helping me with some clerical work like OCR or formatting a template.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Tereza Piskláková

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Chances are you're not allowed to May 27, 2021

Most contracts have NDAs by default these days.

And if it does seem rather moot for sharing a free to read published article, it can turn into major ethics violations and liabilities or even criminal cases for leaking unpublished scoops, surprise statements, or paywalled articles to some random guy you met on the internet.

Since that is PRECISELY what NDAs were created to prevent.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tereza May 27, 2021

I clocked this afterwards, and please don't take this the wrong way, but let it be said: with that huge warm smile to back up your qualifications, you'll go far in anything for sure. That's the kind of smile people want to see in the board room, at the reception desk, in a ministry, at the hospital, at the research centre, or wherever.

[Edited at 2021-05-27 19:27 GMT]

Tereza Piskláková
Tereza Piskláková
Czech Republic
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
Mervyn May 27, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I clocked this afterwards, and please don't take this the wrong way, but let it be said: with that huge warm smile to back up your qualifications, you'll go far in anything for sure. That's the kind of smile people want to see in the board room, at the reception desk, in a ministry, at the hospital, at the research centre, or wherever.

[Edited at 2021-05-27 19:27 GMT]

Dear Mervyn,

I think that my appearance cannot be connected to my qualifications as a translator, so I am a bit confused about what you mean by your comment. However, I will take it as a compliment because I am sure you meant well.

Tereza

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is an average price for Czech to English translation of marketing web articles?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »