Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 26, 2021

Excerpt: "Higher rates make clients value your work. Valued work makes bigger impacts. Everyone wins. When you have low rates, you send a signal to yourself and the client that your work is low-value. That’s the results they will get: Cheap people making cheap stuff for cheap people. Yes, this race to the bottom exists. No, you don’t have to be... See more
Excerpt: "Higher rates make clients value your work. Valued work makes bigger impacts. Everyone wins. When you have low rates, you send a signal to yourself and the client that your work is low-value. That’s the results they will get: Cheap people making cheap stuff for cheap people. Yes, this race to the bottom exists. No, you don’t have to be in it."

https://medium.com/swlh/not-people-pleasing-immediately-won-me-a-new-client-30814a94723d
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
Christine Andersen
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Robert Rietvelt
Yaotl Altan

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:26
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Low Rates versus Minimum Wage Jun 28, 2021

Good article. I truly believe that low rates originate in countries where minimum wage happens to be really low. For example, the lowest minimum wage in the world is in Mexico. It is, by the way, only $1.05 an hour. I bet that translators in Mexico charge some low rates for translations. This is just a hunch. The second lowest minimum wage happens to be in Turkey, and it is only $1.93 an hour. This time I know for sure that many translators in Turkey charge ridiculously low rates for tran... See more
Good article. I truly believe that low rates originate in countries where minimum wage happens to be really low. For example, the lowest minimum wage in the world is in Mexico. It is, by the way, only $1.05 an hour. I bet that translators in Mexico charge some low rates for translations. This is just a hunch. The second lowest minimum wage happens to be in Turkey, and it is only $1.93 an hour. This time I know for sure that many translators in Turkey charge ridiculously low rates for translations. It is not only translators themselves but most translation agencies in Turkey also pay ridiculously low rates to translators. It is a shame for both parties. For a list of minimum wage versus countries of the world in 2021, please consult:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/minimum-wage-by-country

I think the only way out of this trap is for the translators to educate themselves regarding global translation rates. Also, ProZ has a feature called Community Rates. This is a statistical representation of the rates for each language pair. Newcomers to the industry owe it to themselves to check out Community Rates before setting a rate for themselves. It will not happen overnight but I sincerely hope the rates will improve as the translators are informed about the global rates.
Collapse

mariealpilles

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: High Rates are a Favor to Your Clients

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »