Ted Wozniak
Ted Wozniak  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:04
Member (2002)
German to English
Jul 2, 2021

compensation survey

ATA is now conducting its periodic compensation survey, which was postponed due to the Covid pandemic. This survey now covers both 2019 and 2020.

ATA is working with Dynamic Benchmarking, LLC, an independent firm specializing in association-related research, to conduct an industry-wide survey of compensation for translation and interpreting services. Dynamic Benchmarking is collecting the survey responses, thus ensuring your anonymity.

To take the survey go to https://compensation.atanet.org/SignUpForm.aspx

Why do this survey?

There is a need for a comprehensive picture of the market for translation and interpreting services. The survey results will be an invaluable resource for everyone in the field. Not only will you be able to compare your compensation to other practitioners in your language and specialty, but the data will also enable ATA to advocate for ALL translators and interpreters in compensation issues, such as at state courts seeking to reduce compensation for court interpreters. The data will also allow us to lobby the US Department of Labor to fix its collection methods for the T&I profession (which currently reflects data for mostly employed T&I but not independent contractors). It is therefore important that as many US-based freelancers (but employed T&I as well) participate in the survey. Your participation is essential to collecting sufficient data to make a difference.

What do I get for taking the survey?

If you complete the survey, you will receive a copy of the results formatted to allow filtering by language and specialty. You will be able to easily compare your compensation for the years 2019 and 2020 to that of your colleagues.

Who can take the survey?

Translators, interpreters, and company owners residing in the United States. If you do not live and work in the US, please do not take the survey. You do not need to be an ATA member to take the survey.

How do I take the survey?

US-based translators, interpreters, and company owners can take the survey by registering at compensation.atanet.org/SignUpForm.aspx.

What information do I need and how long will it take to complete the survey?

You should have your compensation and US tax return information for 2019 and 2020 handy when you take the survey. How long it will take to complete depends on how many services and language pairs you offer as the data is broken down by language and service offerings. Expect to spend at least 20 - 30 minutes. You can stop at any time and return to complete the survey later. But you MUST complete the survey for at least one year to get access to the final data. Incomplete surveys will not be included in the final results.

How long do I have to take the survey?

The survey must be completed by July 23.

When will I have results?

Survey results are scheduled to be released later this summer.

What if I have questions?

Send questions to [email protected].

Thank you in advance for helping ATA help all US translators and interpreters!

Ted R. Wozniak
President, American Translators Association

[Edited at 2021-07-02 14:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-07-02 14:01 GMT]

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Whaaat? Jul 2, 2021

Kindly pay for your market research.

This is worth at least $100 per person in compensation, maybe more. Speaking from experience here.

Dear colleagues, please do NOT, under any circumstances, provide freebies to this kind of opportunist.

[Edited at 2021-07-02 15:20 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 03:04
Romanian to English
+ ...
Whaaat? Jul 4, 2021

Adieu wrote:

This is worth at least $100 per person in compensation, maybe more. Speaking from experience here.

Dear colleagues, please do NOT, under any circumstances, provide freebies to this kind of opportunist.

It is the ATA and we all benefit from it! This is not a market research for any pecuniary reward, it is a research to show where we stand.
If you are an ATA member, read the results from previous years. It is an interesting read.

Arabic & More
Ted Wozniak

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
ATA doesn't serve us Jul 5, 2021

It serves big businesses like CAT companies and major agencies.

Any survey of us by them is solely for the benefit of those who draw up new plans for how to pay us less and replace us with software and outsourcing.

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

Adieu wrote:

It is the ATA and we all benefit from it! This is not a market research for any pecuniary reward, it is a research to show where we stand.
If you are an ATA member, read the results from previous years. It is an interesting read.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 03:04
Romanian to English
+ ...
I don't know what is the basis of your assumption Jul 5, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Any survey of us by them is solely for the benefit of those who draw up new plans for how to pay us less and replace us with software and outsourcing.

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

Adieu wrote:

... but in the last 20 years since I have been working as a translator and interpreter, more that 40% of my income comes from agencies and referrals through the ATA. And, I know that you like to brag, so let me do it myself; last year, during the pandemic my income increased and was in the low six digits! Nothing to complain about!

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Hmmm Jul 6, 2021

Good for you. Although that single post imho contains more bragging than I've ever done here, iirc.

I'll stand by my position: grandpaw Ted in his cowboy hat cannot and does not represent me or my interests. The very idea is somewhat offensive.

In any case, this isn't just my position. A variety of posts and articles over the years have demonstrated how ATA is in bed with MT companies and major agencies to the detriment of the common translator. YMMV, but I will advise
... See more
Good for you. Although that single post imho contains more bragging than I've ever done here, iirc.

I'll stand by my position: grandpaw Ted in his cowboy hat cannot and does not represent me or my interests. The very idea is somewhat offensive.

In any case, this isn't just my position. A variety of posts and articles over the years have demonstrated how ATA is in bed with MT companies and major agencies to the detriment of the common translator. YMMV, but I will advise anyone who'll listen to not give a dime or a bit of personal information to that hostile big business lobby posing as a freelancer association.

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

Adieu wrote:

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

Adieu wrote:

... but in the last 20 years since I have been working as a translator and interpreter, more that 40% of my income comes from agencies and referrals through the ATA. And, I know that you like to brag, so let me do it myself; last year, during the pandemic my income increased and was in the low six digits! Nothing to complain about!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compensation Survey for all US-based interpreters and translators

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »