Albina Griniute
Albina Griniute  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 14:34
Member (2020)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Sep 15, 2021

Hi all. So I've been selected by an agency to translate children's books. It seems to be a long-term project with multiple illustrated books for young children (I'd say mostly pre-school and primary school, as far as I can tell). There was a test translation consisting of three different texts (two verses of a rhymed poem, one verse of a poem without rhyme, and a piece of prose). The multiple-step selection process seemed to be quite serious and well thought-through.

Now that I've b
... See more
Hi all. So I've been selected by an agency to translate children's books. It seems to be a long-term project with multiple illustrated books for young children (I'd say mostly pre-school and primary school, as far as I can tell). There was a test translation consisting of three different texts (two verses of a rhymed poem, one verse of a poem without rhyme, and a piece of prose). The multiple-step selection process seemed to be quite serious and well thought-through.

Now that I've been selected, I was asked what my rates are. I provided my rate for transcreation per hour, but they say the client is paying them per word. That doesn't sound right.

If the test is anything to go by, these are going to be tasks requiring not just excellent transcreation skills, but also literary talent and some knowledge of children's literature. I did multiple revisions and corrections of the test, research, etc., and it took me a whole day to complete. It could've easily taken longer, but they asked for the test asap.

Since children's books are usually short, they can have very few words, like a couple of hundred. But the work can take a whole day, or several days. Charging per word doesn't make sense.

Does anyone have experience with this, or suggestions regarding the rates? I know rates vary greatly depending on the language pair, but I'd be interested to hear what other translators charge for this type of work.

[Edited at 2021-09-15 16:27 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:34
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Albina Sep 15, 2021

I have translated some children books. The first one I charged per word but following that and precisely because of the situation you described I have been charging per project.

P.S. When you say an agency, do you mean a translation agency or an UN agency? I have translated for both and of course the rates charged are quite different…

Albina Griniute
Lithuania
Member (2020)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Teresa Sep 15, 2021

Thank you for your quick reply, Teresa.

It's a translation agency with an impeccable rating on the Blue Board, glowing reviews and a very professional-looking website.

It looks like they have a client who publishes illustrated children's books for tablets and is looking to expand into other languages.

This is why I'm so puzzled - it does look like a very professional agency, and the process of testing / selection further confirmed this. I don't understand h
... See more
Thank you for your quick reply, Teresa.

It's a translation agency with an impeccable rating on the Blue Board, glowing reviews and a very professional-looking website.

It looks like they have a client who publishes illustrated children's books for tablets and is looking to expand into other languages.

This is why I'm so puzzled - it does look like a very professional agency, and the process of testing / selection further confirmed this. I don't understand how a professional and highly skilled translator who charges per word for this type of work fits into this picture.

Maybe I'm missing something?
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Charge A LOT Sep 15, 2021

Most of these children's things are horribly opportunistic people of dubious moral character making staggering sums of money on merch (or aspiring to) anyway

If you're not desperate for work, I'd quote something to the tune of $25 USD per page, double for poems, regardless of word count (for children's books huge font stuff... if they want to send you a wall of text, charge far more)

As to the agency, that's just a middleman looking to keep more of the client's money.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Albina Sep 15, 2021

If they insist on a per word rate, suggest your maximum rate. The problem you will have is that unfortunately literature is very poorly paid. Check this thread on this subject: https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/198187-why_are_literary_translators_so_poorly_paid-page2.html

expressisverbis

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Albina Sep 16, 2021

Will your name be mentioned on the front cover of the book? If so factor this in your price as it will be some kind of a “marketing tool”...

Albina Griniute
Lithuania
Member (2020)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No news Sep 16, 2021

I don't think my name will be mentioned on the cover.

I answered them yesterday saying that I'm not sure how to calculate the rate per word for such a job because I always charge per hour for transcreation projects, which is true.

I asked them to suggest a price they are willing to pay, so I can see if it works for me, based on the time it took me to complete the test translation.

No reply today. Hmm... Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Good luck! Sep 16, 2021

Albina Griniute wrote:

I don't think my name will be mentioned on the cover.

I answered them yesterday saying that I'm not sure how to calculate the rate per word for such a job because I always charge per hour for transcreation projects, which is true.

I asked them to suggest a price they are willing to pay, so I can see if it works for me, based on the time it took me to complete the test translation.

No reply today. Hmm... Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
. Sep 17, 2021

This seems like a waste of time...

I would refuse to make a test before settling financial matters.

Reviewing a sample text wouldn't have been enough to give an idea of the task at hand?

Agencies seem to thrive on information asymmetry.

Good luck, Albina!

[Edited at 2021-09-17 05:11 GMT]

expressisverbis
philgoddard
Philippe Etienne

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Sep 19, 2021

The customer just wants a fixed price for the job. They don't care how you calculate it.

Philippe Etienne
Platary (X)

Albina Griniute
Lithuania
Member (2020)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@philgoddard Sep 19, 2021

philgoddard wrote:

The customer just wants a fixed price for the job. They don't care how you calculate it.

But I'm not in contact with the customer, I'm in contact with the agency. Shouldn't a translation agency know that transcreation is difficult to charge per word? They say they already work with other languages on the same project, so I can't be the first linguist with this problem. That's why I started this thread.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Some jobs are oriented at bottom-feeders Sep 19, 2021

Like ex-Soviet schoolteachers and substance-addled college students

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:34
English to French
Units don't matter Sep 20, 2021

Albina wrote:
Shouldn't a translation agency know that transcreation is difficult to charge per word?

The agency only wants to know beforehand how much you charge one or more given pieces, so that they can quote their client accordingly with their own mark-up.
Granted, charging per hour is a good way to show the customer that you sell your time, but some agencies link your hourly rate to an implied "productivity rate": they anticipate that you will translate so many words in one hour on average.
Therefore, if you deliver a 200-word book translation candidly stating that it will cost them 5 or 10 hours, they may well object to it, arguing that they expected a "standard" throughput of X words/hour, which was stated for your language combination in font 2, footer note 18, Appendix 12, page 142 of "Vendor agreement", Table 4.5.12. Bottom line: hourly rates are not bullet-proof either against unscrupulous clients.

If you do 40 words an hour and you feel your time is worth X/hour, then charge X/40 per word. If it translates into €1.5/word, then it's the amount of effort you put into one word.
Albina wrote:
it does look like a very professional agency, and the process of testing / selection further confirmed this

From my experience, the more convoluted the agency's "selection" process, the less likely anything turns up from them.

Philippe

Asteria Lan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Books for children: what to charge?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »