Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Would you give a discount on an overdue payment to ensure it is made?
投稿者: ProZ.com Staff
Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
ドイツ
Local time: 22:24
オランダ語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
No, it sends the wrong message Jul 4, 2016

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

Helen Hagon wrote:

If you do it once, you'll probably find yourself doing it again. It sends the customer a message that it's ok to pay late, and even encourages them to delay payment.

That was my first thought.

Mine, too.

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
2006に入会
英語 から イタリア語
+ ...
+1 Jul 4, 2016

Edith van der Have-Raats wrote:

Ridiculous... to even suggest such a thing.

SteveMcD
SteveMcD  Identity Verified
ドイツ語 から 英語
Not only no... Jul 4, 2016

....I do the opposite.
If I have to send a late payment notice it comes with a warning that a penalty will be added if payment is not received within 14 days.
I only ever had to send a notice once and the bill was promptly paid with apologies. Still on good terms with that particular client.

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
フランス
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
Yes Jul 4, 2016

A discount of +10%, taking an initial invoice of €100 to €110... I'm kind enough to give them this discount for every month they play silly muggers

maryblack
maryblack  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 15:24
2013に入会
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
Ssshhhh! Jul 4, 2016

Don't give lousy clients bad ideas!

Sara Maghini
Sara Maghini  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 21:24
英語 から イタリア語
+ ...
NO! Jul 4, 2016

If you were late paying your rent, would your landlord/lady give you a discount or rather send you an eviction notice?!
I am baffled by whoever came up with this question.

Platon Danilov
Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
ウクライナ
Local time: 23:24
英語 から ロシア語
+ ...
NO Jul 4, 2016

Sara Maghini wrote:

If you were late paying your rent, would your landlord/lady give you a discount or rather send you an eviction notice?!
I am baffled by whoever came up with this question.

Sara, it's Proz.com staff (see the start of the thread). I am sure their intention was to provoke rather than to offend us.

Up to the subject:
I never do like this, too. And I am with those who believe such behaviour is likely to encourage lousy payment practices.

[Редактировалось 2016-07-04 16:08 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
Jumpin' beans! Jul 4, 2016

Interesting case shared by lady boho. In the words of Han (a fictional character from the Fast & Furious movie series): it's better to have 50% of something than 100% of nothing.

As a rule, internal logic and external good business practices would tell us not to offer a discount in case of overdue payments. Platon is right: the purpose of the question is to provoke [a discussion] not to offend us.

By the way, why take certain things personally? Well, besides the fact th
... See more
Interesting case shared by lady boho. In the words of Han (a fictional character from the Fast & Furious movie series): it's better to have 50% of something than 100% of nothing.

As a rule, internal logic and external good business practices would tell us not to offer a discount in case of overdue payments. Platon is right: the purpose of the question is to provoke [a discussion] not to offend us.

By the way, why take certain things personally? Well, besides the fact that we are human, fallible and react with our gut [heart] first instead of using our head?

Maybe I woke up a bit more even-tempered today.

Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
ガーナ
Local time: 20:24
日本語 から 英語
Depends Jul 4, 2016

My first instinct would be to say "No," second instinct, "Are you crazy?" But depending on the amount overdue, the size of the discount and my chances of seeing any money at all without offering a discount I very well might give a little discount to get a lot of money. Please be gentle when lynching me.

Patricia Ramirez
Patricia Ramirez  Identity Verified
ドミニカ共和国
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
Depends on the client Jul 4, 2016

My first thought was to say "NO" too, but I then realized that I have done it. I have a client with whom I have a relationship of many years and was having a lot of problems to get my invoices paid on time (sometimes it would take 3 months or more to receive payment).

About a year ago the client asked to lower my rate. I agreed to make a deduction, but with the promise that my invoices get paid within 30-45 days. I have to say that they have kept their end of the bargain and I d
... See more
My first thought was to say "NO" too, but I then realized that I have done it. I have a client with whom I have a relationship of many years and was having a lot of problems to get my invoices paid on time (sometimes it would take 3 months or more to receive payment).

About a year ago the client asked to lower my rate. I agreed to make a deduction, but with the promise that my invoices get paid within 30-45 days. I have to say that they have kept their end of the bargain and I don't even feel the discount because I get my payments on time! And most importantly, I did not lose the client. I have even started working for them in-house as a Trainer 2 days a week.
Collapse

Marzia Nicole Bucca
Marzia Nicole Bucca  Identity Verified
オーストラリア
Local time: 06:24
英語 から イタリア語
+ ...
Exactly! Jul 5, 2016

Edith van der Have-Raats wrote:

... to even suggest such a thing.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
ブラジル
Local time: 17:24
2014に入会
英語 から ポルトガル語
+ ...
Quite the opposite Jul 5, 2016

Late payments must be added to fines, interests, etc. in anything and any service you ever buy in this wide market. Why should we give a discount to receive something that is late? The only exception here is if you know the client is going bankrupt and you run the risk of receiving nothing if you don't accept a discount.

Laura Pascual
Laura Pascual  Identity Verified
フィンランド
Local time: 23:24
フィンランド語 から スペイン語
+ ...
? Jul 5, 2016

Is this a serious question?

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
追悼
What??? Jul 5, 2016

Of course not. What, reward a client for paying late? No.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
スペイン
2007に入会
英語
+ ...
"Dear client, Jul 5, 2016

I advise you not to pay this invoice within the first 30 days. The longer you leave it, the higher the discount I will offer you."

Has anyone ever heard of a business saying anything like that?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you give a discount on an overdue payment to ensure it is made?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »