Emina Popovici
Emina Popovici  Identity Verified
Suecia
Local time: 11:36
inglés al rumano
+ ...
Feb 24, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I hope somebody can help me here with my dilemma. I'm currently learning Swedish and I'm planning to include Swedish in my translation services next year or so. Right now I'm enrolled in an intensive one-year prep course at a Swedish University and afterwards I will do some university courses and specialize in a field or two. I will also do a national test in order to become an authorized translator for Swedish-Romanian.

My dilemma is: is it worth tak
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I hope somebody can help me here with my dilemma. I'm currently learning Swedish and I'm planning to include Swedish in my translation services next year or so. Right now I'm enrolled in an intensive one-year prep course at a Swedish University and afterwards I will do some university courses and specialize in a field or two. I will also do a national test in order to become an authorized translator for Swedish-Romanian.

My dilemma is: is it worth taking the TISUS test (Test for Swedish for university studies)? Does this test have the same value as, say, TOEFL or IELTS?

TISUS is usually required for entering Swedish university programs and it equals the level of high-school Swedish, just like TOEFL equals the high-school English here. I can choose between this TISUS test or the final test at the end of the prep-course. But I wonder if TISUS certificate would be helpful in my future career as translator.

I hope some fellow translators with Swedish as working pair see this message and can offer some guidance. Thanks!
Collapse

Susan Wang
Susan Wang  Identity Verified
Taiwán
Local time: 17:36
inglés al chino
+ ...
Maybe Swedex? Feb 24, 2009

Hi Emina,

I had a similar idea when I started my Swedish studies. But I'm quite sure now that TISUS is only for entering the university, which is unnecessary for people who passes the "nationellt prov," i.e. TISUS = Svenska/SAS B when entering the university.

For language competence tests, I heard of Swedex which is, like Toefl, an international certificate for Swedish. Y
... See more
Hi Emina,

I had a similar idea when I started my Swedish studies. But I'm quite sure now that TISUS is only for entering the university, which is unnecessary for people who passes the "nationellt prov," i.e. TISUS = Svenska/SAS B when entering the university.

For language competence tests, I heard of Swedex which is, like Toefl, an international certificate for Swedish. You can check out the info here: http://www.swedex.info/

But for translators/interpretors, you can take the test with Kammarkollegiet, to become authorized. I think it is THE authority in Sweden that's in charge of the authorisation.

Another option to consider can be Europass Language Passport, which is like a language portfolio you can build on with languages used within EU.

More info here:
http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/europass/home/vernav/Europasss%20Documents/Europass%20Language%20Passport.csp

These are the options I'll consider in the future. If you find out other related info, please let me know. I'm also interested in this topic.

Good luck!
Collapse

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Sylvia Germroth Nordebo  Identity Verified
Suecia
Miembro 2006
sueco al alemán
+ ...
TISUS Feb 24, 2009

Dear Emina,

I did the TISUS test in 2004 because I live in Sweden and I wanted to continue my studies in Swedish at the University here in Sweden.

I am not quite sure if the TISUS certificate is as acknowledged as the English tests. But if you can choose between the two certificate forms I probably would choose TISUS anyway because it is more official and at least valuable in the academic world in Sweden, you never know...

Concerning the question if the tr
... See more
Dear Emina,

I did the TISUS test in 2004 because I live in Sweden and I wanted to continue my studies in Swedish at the University here in Sweden.

I am not quite sure if the TISUS certificate is as acknowledged as the English tests. But if you can choose between the two certificate forms I probably would choose TISUS anyway because it is more official and at least valuable in the academic world in Sweden, you never know...

Concerning the question if the training for the examination gave me a lot for my language skills I am not so sure about it. It is a test which problably like all tests require that you learn how the test works and what kind of questions you have to answer. And I remember that we spent a lot of time with learning how to do it which was not that useful in terms of language skills.

I am not sure if my chances to get jobs were better because I had TISUS as I never tried translating before I had taken TISUS. But i always assumed that it was useful.

I am not sure if I could help you.

Kind regards
Sylvia
Collapse

Maria Amorim (X)
Maria Amorim (X)  Identity Verified
Suecia
sueco al portugués
+ ...
Swedex Feb 24, 2009

I agree with Susan. The Swedex is the “ international examination in Swedish as a foreign language” and it has two levels of competence that you can check in the website, in order to decide which exam you should select.

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Sylvia Germroth Nordebo  Identity Verified
Suecia
Miembro 2006
sueco al alemán
+ ...
Swedex applies only for levels A and B Feb 24, 2009

Hi again,

I became curious and looked at the Swedex page. The problem with this might be that you at the end of your course have higher skills which Swedex would not cover.

As far as I remember the TISUS course was on the European C1 or even2-level, and even the certificate would therefore be higher than Swedex.

Best regards
Sylvia

Emina Popovici
Emina Popovici  Identity Verified
Suecia
inglés al rumano
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Swedex sounds nice, but... Feb 25, 2009

it covers only the intermediate level, and it is not acknowledged for entering a Swedish university course. As a matter of fact, having Svenska A/B from Komvux is more useful than having Swedex, at least when it comes to taking further courses at the university.
I did the placement test after getting into this College course in Swedish at the university and I reached level C1, and the goal is, of course, to reach C2 by the end of the semester.
It is a pity that they still haven't el
... See more
it covers only the intermediate level, and it is not acknowledged for entering a Swedish university course. As a matter of fact, having Svenska A/B from Komvux is more useful than having Swedex, at least when it comes to taking further courses at the university.
I did the placement test after getting into this College course in Swedish at the university and I reached level C1, and the goal is, of course, to reach C2 by the end of the semester.
It is a pity that they still haven't ellaborated the C level for Swedex.
Sylvia, thank you for our opinion, it is really helpful. I've been quite unsure regarding this certification, but it seems that it is the only prestigious certification for the Swedish language.

I will definitely try to become an authorized translator, there is a test for the Swedish/Romanian pair in the autumn, and I hope to pass it.

Thank you all, again!
Best regards,
Emina
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TISUS test for Swedish language competence

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »