Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]
Proofreader trying to make you look bad?
Autor de la hebra: Ines Burrell
Sylvia Moren (X)
Sylvia Moren (X)

Local time: 13:17
inglés antiguo (ca. 450-1100) al español
Belated reply Jul 7, 2005

.../...

The problem here wasn't so much a question of native language as it was a lack of comprehension ("doctrinos" as "doctrines", for example), and a dearth of basic acculturation in source language. The same translation referred to the "pasos" used in processions as "floats", which was rather a contradiction in register (note that I haven't mentioned everything I came across). So pardon me if I can't help believing that a translator should at least have set foot in one of the co
... See more
.../...

The problem here wasn't so much a question of native language as it was a lack of comprehension ("doctrinos" as "doctrines", for example), and a dearth of basic acculturation in source language. The same translation referred to the "pasos" used in processions as "floats", which was rather a contradiction in register (note that I haven't mentioned everything I came across). So pardon me if I can't help believing that a translator should at least have set foot in one of the countries where his source language is spoken, lest he ride roughshod over the culture he mediates.

.../...

Ah! I get it. I got the impression that you were discarding barrio chino as a translation for chinatown in general which is why I made that little comment and referred to San Francisco and Chicago as examples. I didn't realize the context you were referring to but, of course, that was not the subject matter of the debate either.

I also believe that a translator should have visited one of the countries of his source language. I can't imagine that a translator wouldn't bother to do so.

Anyway, I hope that you didn't take my remark as a personal attack because that was far from my intention, as I got the feeling by a message I received that I had caused a bit of uncomfort. Sorry if I did. Wouldn't want to be one of those proofreaders that makes one look bad. Never indulged in that sort of thing. Would only do so if a translation was so bad that I felt the customer had to be warned. But I must say, although I accept the occasional proofreading job, I am not very keen on proofreading professionally (as opposed to privately: helping friends with documents, thesis, reports and so on)and prefer sticking to translating.

All the best,
Collapse

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreader trying to make you look bad?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »