Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:51
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Lonely Planet Feb 17, 2009

Hello - looking forward to seeing everyone in July.

There are some travel details on the Lonely Planet website:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/macedonia/southern-macedonia/ohrid/transport/getting-there-away

"About 10 buses a day run between Ohrid and Skopje via Kičevo (380MKD, three hours, 167km). Another four
... See more
Hello - looking forward to seeing everyone in July.

There are some travel details on the Lonely Planet website:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/macedonia/southern-macedonia/ohrid/transport/getting-there-away

"About 10 buses a day run between Ohrid and Skopje via Kičevo (380MKD, three hours, 167km). Another four go via Bitola (380MKD, four hours, 261km). The first route is shorter, faster and more scenic, so try to take it."

Macedonian Airlines (http://www.mat.com.mk/) has an offer on its website stating 299 euros return to Skopje from various points within Europe (price doesn't include tax). You have to ring their call centre to book (it would appear).

Looking at their timetable (http://www.mat.com.mk/destinations/pdf/MAT_timetable.pdf), most flights seem to be at reasonable hours, except the solitary Ohrid-Vienna flight, which leaves at stupid o'clock in the morning. I certainly can't find any sensible combination that gets direct to Ohrid, so it's looking like a bus journey (not so bad - you get to see a bit of the country!).

Vienna and Zurich look to have the most flexible timetable to Skopje. It could be possible to get there on a no-frills airline (unless you're fortunate enough to live within striking distance of those cities) to keep the price down a bit further.
Collapse

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:51
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tirana Feb 17, 2009

I guess we'll manage to form a group from Tirana then. I have good connections Florence-Tirana @ 150 € return ticket with Belair. We might meet in Tirana, take a chance to visit a bit and travel to Skopje. It sounds great.
Any Albanian there who wants to join us?
Paola

Daniela Lara
Daniela Lara  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:51
English to Spanish
Cost Feb 19, 2009

Someone from South America, specially from Chile who wants or is thinking in going to Macedonia? Do you know how much it will cost to go over there?

Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Some more information about Ohrid Feb 22, 2009

Hello everybody,

This conference seems like it is going to be great.

I will do my very best not to miss it!

I have found some more information about Ohrid:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/FYR_of_Macedonia/Opstina_Ohrid/Ohrid-452289/TravelGuide-Ohrid.html

... See more
Hello everybody,

This conference seems like it is going to be great.

I will do my very best not to miss it!

I have found some more information about Ohrid:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/FYR_of_Macedonia/Opstina_Ohrid/Ohrid-452289/TravelGuide-Ohrid.html

Hope to see you all again in a great and (as Russell said) overdue international conference,

Helena
Collapse

Hristina Dojčinova
Hristina Dojčinova  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Flights to Skopje, Macedonia / Travel from Chile Feb 23, 2009

Daniela Lara wrote:

Someone from South America, specially from Chile who wants or is thinking in going to Macedonia? Do you know how much it will cost to go over there?

Dear Daniela Lara,

I sent a personalized reply to your mail regarding flights from Chile to Macedonia.

Dear all,

please bookmark this link in order to search for flights to Macedonia:

http://www.exploringmacedonia.com/travelexploring/flights.asp

Best regards,

Hristina

Helena Diaz del Real
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
A not expensive way to reach Ohrid from southern Germany Feb 23, 2009

Hello Prozians!

I wonder if anybody knows or can figure out a way to get to Ohrid without having to pay for it 300 EURO.
I was considering traveling to Zürich first, but perhaps knows somebody (or can figure it out) another way?
I am sooooo eager to go! And to meet you all!
Thank you!
All the best,
Helena

Hristina Dojčinova
Canada
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Book your flights to Skopje Feb 23, 2009

Helena1962 wrote:

Hello Prozians!

I wonder if anybody knows or can figure out a way to get to Ohrid without having to pay for it 300 EURO.
I was considering traveling to Zürich first, but perhaps knows somebody (or can figure it out) another way?
I am sooooo eager to go! And to meet you all!
Thank you!
All the best,
Helena

Helena and all,

I would like to ask all interested participants to plan their trip to SKOPJE because there will be organized transportation by buses or minibuses from Skopje Airport and Skopje Center to the conference venue - the Metropol Lake Resort in Ohrid.

The cost of this transportation will be included in the conference fee for the 'all inclusive' package. (More information on participation fees coming up soon as well!!)Therefore, transportation to Ohrid will be available for all participants. I should have made this clear right away, but once again, thank you for being patient, and please keep coming back to the conference sites!

Looking forward to seeing you in Ohrid!

Kind regards, Hristina

Hristina Dojčinova
Canada
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Cheap flights from Germany Feb 23, 2009

As for cheap flights from Germany, please consider

Germanwings http://www.germanwings.com/

Sky Wings representative office in Germany telephone: +49 231 697 950.
(for example, Duesseldorf – Skopje at 200 EUR return ticket, Hamburg-Skopje at 240 EUR return)

WizzAi
... See more
As for cheap flights from Germany, please consider

Germanwings http://www.germanwings.com/

Sky Wings representative office in Germany telephone: +49 231 697 950.
(for example, Duesseldorf – Skopje at 200 EUR return ticket, Hamburg-Skopje at 240 EUR return)

WizzAir – www.wizzair.com (for example: Dortmund – Sofia at a 70EUR return ticket, and arrange car transportation with colleagues from Sofia)

Hope this helps!
Hristina

[Edited at 2009-02-23 12:17 GMT]
Collapse

Helena Diaz del Real
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you for the links, Hristina Feb 25, 2009

Hello everybody,

Hristina, I thank you very much for having searched these links in order to fly from Germany.

As you ask, both of them are not really OK for me, as both companies work from the north of Germany or very far west.

However, at your first link on "exploring Macedonia" (by the way: In Spain, if you say "Macedonia" I bet most of people will first think of a fruitsalad, as we call them simply "macedonia") ;o)) I saw some fairy posibilities to fly.
... See more
Hello everybody,

Hristina, I thank you very much for having searched these links in order to fly from Germany.

As you ask, both of them are not really OK for me, as both companies work from the north of Germany or very far west.

However, at your first link on "exploring Macedonia" (by the way: In Spain, if you say "Macedonia" I bet most of people will first think of a fruitsalad, as we call them simply "macedonia") ;o)) I saw some fairy posibilities to fly. The problem is that the suggestions are not hyperlinked and so I have no answer if I click them. And if I go to the company's site, I don't find the suggested price...

Well, let's see!

Ah! And something else: You said there will be pick ups from Skopje's Airport to Ohrin. Do you already know when?

Thank's for all your help!

My best wishes,
Helena
Collapse

Hristina Dojčinova
Canada
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Further info on flights from Germany Feb 28, 2009

Helena1962 wrote:

Hello everybody,

However, at your first link on "exploring Macedonia" (by the way: In Spain, if you say "Macedonia" I bet most of people will first think of a fruitsalad, as we call them simply "macedonia") ;o)) I saw some fairy posibilities to fly. The problem is that the suggestions are not hyperlinked and so I have no answer if I click them. And if I go to the company's site, I don't find the suggested price...

Well, let's see!

Ah! And something else: You said there will be pick ups from Skopje's Airport to Ohrin. Do you already know when?

Thank's for all your help!

My best wishes,
Helena

Helena,

Try searching for flights at http://reise.idealo.de/

(just make a search for example from the 2nd to the 7th of July)

Stuttgart – Skopje starting at 230 EUR
Frankfurt – Skopje starting at 240 EUR
Munich – Skopje starting at 290 EUR

Alternatively, try searching for flights to Sofia Bulgaria:
(where some interested participants were grouping up for a car ride directly to Ohrid)

Stuttgart – Sofia starting at 150 EUR
Munich – Sofia starting at 180 EUR
Frankfurt – Sofia starting at 214 EUR (check at http://www.edreams.com)

Or, also try flights to Thessaloniki Greece- from there you can reach Skopje by a train ride of several hours (if you decide for this option I can provide you with further info)

Stuttgart – Thessaloniki starting at 188 EUR
Munich – Thessaloniki starting at 200 UER
Frankfurt – Thessaloniki starting at 203 EUR (check at http://www.edreams.com)

To answer your second question, the departure times from Skopje Airport to the Metropol Lake Resort in Ohrid are not known yet, and will be established only after the flight arrival times of the participants are known. At any rate, there will be at least three bus tours throughout Friday (2nd July) to make sure that every participant is provided with transportation.

Wishing you luck in planning your trip.

Hristina

[Edited at 2009-02-28 13:12 GMT]

sofijana
sofijana  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Belgrade-Ohrid-Skopje-Belgrade Mar 4, 2009

Hristina Dojcinova wrote:
Helena and all,
I would like to ask all interested participants to plan their trip to SKOPJE because there will be organized transportation by buses or minibuses from Skopje Airport and Skopje Center to the conference venue - the Metropol Lake Resort in Ohrid.
The cost of this transportation will be included in the conference fee for the 'all inclusive' package. (More information on participation fees coming up soon as well!!)Therefore, transportation to Ohrid will be available for all participants. I should have made this clear right away, but once again, thank you for being patient, and please keep coming back to the conference sites!
Looking forward to seeing you in Ohrid!
Kind regards, Hristina

Hristina,

I'm thinking of taking a flight from Belgrade to Ohrid (on July 3rd), but to take a flight back from Skopje (there is no flight from Ohrid on Sunday 5th July).

Can you make an offer (calculation) for this kind of arrangement (I plan to book and pay for my flights, this is not something I'd ask you to bother with).

Regards,
Sofijana

Hristina Dojčinova
Canada
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Travel from Skopje to Ohrid, and Ohrid to Skopje Mar 5, 2009

Sofijana Onicin Jablanov wrote:

I'm thinking of taking a flight from Belgrade to Ohrid (on July 3rd), but to take a flight back from Skopje (there is no flight from Ohrid on Sunday 5th July).

Can you make an offer (calculation) for this kind of arrangement (I plan to book and pay for my flights, this is not something I'd ask you to bother with).

Regards,
Sofijana

Dear Sofijana,

Thank you for raising this question. Only one way transportation can be arranged, tickets for a round trip or one way bus transportation can be obtained upon arrival in Macedonia - 30 eur/15 eur - with the organized conference buses.

Perhaps if it is possible for you to extend your stay in Macedonia by a day, you can also leave on Monday - the 6th and you will not need additional transportation

Puno pozdrava, Hristina

sofijana
sofijana  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Belgrade-Ohrid-Belgrade Mar 6, 2009

Hristina Dojčinova wrote:

Perhaps if it is possible for you to extend your stay in Macedonia by a day, you can also leave on Monday - the 6th and you will not need additional transportation

Puno pozdrava, Hristina

I'm considering that option too - but I need some cost approximation for the hotel and the Conference.

Hvala, Hristina

Flo in London
Flo in London  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
Travelling from London Mar 6, 2009

Hello all

Any advice on travelling from London to Skopje would be much appreciated please. I'm looking for a DIRECT, cheapish return (July 2nd /5th) leaving at reasonable times but for some reason this is proving a bit difficult/impossible...

Many thanks for any help you may be able to offer!
Flo

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Me too Mar 19, 2009

Hi Flo

I'm in the same boat (or plane) as you, though I'm comparatively flexible on dates.
I spent ages trying to find flights to Ohrid but they all appear to be on inappropriate days, so I was relieved to see Hristina's messages about buses from Skopje.
Expedia shows no direct flights at all but Croatian and Czech airlines both fly at least once daily (via Zagreb or Prague) for under £300 return and Malev Hungarian via Budapest for a little more. The return flight wit
... See more
Hi Flo

I'm in the same boat (or plane) as you, though I'm comparatively flexible on dates.
I spent ages trying to find flights to Ohrid but they all appear to be on inappropriate days, so I was relieved to see Hristina's messages about buses from Skopje.
Expedia shows no direct flights at all but Croatian and Czech airlines both fly at least once daily (via Zagreb or Prague) for under £300 return and Malev Hungarian via Budapest for a little more. The return flight with Croatian is at 6:20 in the morning so I'm discounting that.
I'm going to investigate budget airline flights, probably to Budapest to connect with Malev; will let you know if I find a cheaper option.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Ohrid conference 2009 - Travel

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »