Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:56
French to English
+ ...
Jun 21, 2012

Hello,

Way back at the start of the year I registered an interest in the recent international conference in Barcelona. As the time approached, I realised I was already away quite a lot in April and the conference programme really didn't interest me, so I decided not to attend. However, it seems that my name was left on the list, even though I hadn't confirmed that I was attending, and at least three colleagues asked me how I'd enjoyed it. One colleague even texted me from the confer
... See more
Hello,

Way back at the start of the year I registered an interest in the recent international conference in Barcelona. As the time approached, I realised I was already away quite a lot in April and the conference programme really didn't interest me, so I decided not to attend. However, it seems that my name was left on the list, even though I hadn't confirmed that I was attending, and at least three colleagues asked me how I'd enjoyed it. One colleague even texted me from the conference to try and meet up! Would it not be possible for ProZ to distinguish between people who have merely registered an interest and those who have paid up and are definitely attending? It would certainly be useful to know who was actually going or is there when you are!

Claire
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:56
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Me too Jun 22, 2012

I did seriously consider attending teh conference in Barcelona, but other things came up, and regretfully I missed out on it.

I hope I really will make it next year, but can't promise!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:56
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
This might explain why Jun 22, 2012

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_international_conferences/227275-attendance_figures_at_barcelona_conference.html

Apparently, all those registrations swell the attendance figures out of all proportion. Good publicity for ProZ.com.

I would have thought that the number of attendees could at least be
... See more
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_international_conferences/227275-attendance_figures_at_barcelona_conference.html

Apparently, all those registrations swell the attendance figures out of all proportion. Good publicity for ProZ.com.

I would have thought that the number of attendees could at least be restricted to those who paid up, even if the few who paid but didn't attend were included in the figure. I imagine there can't be too many people who do that.

Sheila
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Conferences: registering an interest vs. actually attending

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »