Once more!! Jul 24, 2023

Received the following email a few hours ago:

---Quote---

From: name of a well-known hockey coach + random number -at- gmail. com
Sent on: Monday, July 24, 2023 1:28 PM
To: my professional email address
Subject: document translation

Hello
I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate document.
Thank you

---Unquote---

Obviously, a sc
... See more

---Quote---

Hello
I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate document.
Thank you

---Unquote---

Obviously, a scam that I am going to ignore. But it makes me wonder if this is somehow the continuation of the latter or by answering the previous one, I have entered in a kind of “naïve ones-to-be-scammed” list. I mean, two scams in two days seems to be much more than just a mere coincidence to me.

Has anyone encountered such a frequency when being targeted to be scammed?

[Editado a las 2023-07-24 14:54 GMT]
Collapse

Mareva Duval

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@David Jul 24, 2023

In the beginning of this month, I had a few scam attempts through Proz all titled “Translation job offer” with the short text “Are you a translator”. I reported them to Proz staff, their profiles were removed and since I haven’t received any more scam emails…

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:44
Japanese to English
+ ...
Scam? Jul 25, 2023

200 words?

When you have a family to support and a mortgage to pay, you aim for the gold and skip the dross. My minimum is $100.00 (actually four pages). Some pay, some don't.

Tom in London

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Another attempt Jul 26, 2023

I have just received this short email:

“Hello
I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate documents. Thank you”

No signature, no document, no nothing and naturally I don’t know what he is talking about. Proz.com had a profile with his name (https://www.proz.com/profile/606832) but it was delet
... See more
I have just received this short email:

“Hello
I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate documents. Thank you”

No signature, no document, no nothing and naturally I don’t know what he is talking about. Proz.com had a profile with his name (https://www.proz.com/profile/606832) but it was deleted. A person with the same name has been involved in an investment scam (trading in non-existent crypto currencies)…
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
200 words Jul 26, 2023

I don't think it's a scam. Nobody would scam for a miserable 200 words. Do you really need to bother with a tiny job that will cost you more just to invoice for? On the other hand if this person really is famous and might have other more interesting jobs in future, I might offer to do it for nothing as a pro bono gesture.

[Edited at 2023-07-26 15:11 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:44
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru (It all adds up) Jul 29, 2023

Michael Newton wrote:

200 words?

When you have a family to support and a mortgage to pay, you aim for the gold and skip the dross. My minimum is $100.00 (actually four pages). Some pay, some don't.

Like Maria Teresa wrote, I also have a minimum charge and if my client is willing to pay that amount, I would for a change accept small jobs. Especially if the client is a first-timer, we could both feel each other out. And as the saying goes, it all adds up. Earning my minimum charge is better than sitting idly doing nothing at all in front of the computer.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 14:44
Romanian to English
+ ...
It is written all over the message: overpayment scam Jul 29, 2023

David Manuel Díaz Sánchez wrote:

---Quote---

Hello
Thank you

---Unquote---

Obviously, a scam that I am going to ignore. But it makes me wonder if this is somehow the continuation of the latter or by answering the previous one, I have entered in a kind of “naïve ones-to-be-scammed” list. I mean, two scams in two days seems to be much more than just a mere coincidence to me.

Has anyone encountered such a frequency when being targeted to be scammed?

[Editado a las 2023-07-24 14:54 GMT]

Yes, a couple of years ago, I played along and received by FedEx two fake checks for a randomly copy/pasted "translation". A couple weeks later, I received an e-mail from a guy who is on an anti-hacking/scamming platform, informing me that my e-mail address is on the scammers' forum, as a potential scammable victim.

Good luck
Le

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another scam going on?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »