A good German-Spanish dictionary?
Thread poster: Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Jun 19, 2003

Hi, I'd like to get your opinion about a good general German-Spanish dictionary to buy. I have absolutely no hints so as to which one is best right now.

Thank you!!!

Ruben

[Edited at 2003-07-03 12:13]

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Local time: 12:16
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
http://europe.eu.int/eurodicautom Jun 19, 2003

Ruben Berrozpe wrote:

Hi, I'd like to get your opinion about a good general German-Spanish dictionary to buy. I have absolutely no hints so as to which one is best right now.

Thank you!!!

Ruben

xxx xxx
xxx xxx
Local time: 12:16
Slaby/Grossmann ? Jul 3, 2003

Ruben Berrozpe wrote:

Thank you!!!

Ruben

That's a very good question

I still use Slaby/Grossmann, "Wörterbuch der spanischen und deutschen Sprache / Diccionario de las lenguas española y alemana" from 1975! along with Langenscheidts Handwörterbuch (Müller/Haensch, 19th edition 1984). I bought Slaby/Grossmann during my studies simply because it was much more complete than Langenscheidt. There might be newer editions of both diccionaries but as far as I know, Langenscheidt has not managed to publish a "Großwörterbuch" which I would buy immediately (the German-French Großwörterbuch is quite useful).

If you were into legal texts I would recommend Becher, "diccionario jurídico y económico". It lists so many "normal" terms that I almost do not need the other diccionaries any more!

Good luck!

Diane

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!! Jul 3, 2003

Much more than I expected really!
I'll take down notes for all of them (including the previous - and very useful - www reference).

Take care,

Ruben

Diane Keller wrote:

Ruben Berrozpe wrote:

Thank you!!!

Ruben

That's a very good question

I still use Slaby/Grossmann, "Wörterbuch der spanischen und deutschen Sprache / Diccionario de las lenguas española y alemana" from 1975! along with Langenscheidts Handwörterbuch (Müller/Haensch, 19th edition 1984). I bought Slaby/Grossmann during my studies simply because it was much more complete than Langenscheidt. There might be newer editions of both diccionaries but as far as I know, Langenscheidt has not managed to publish a "Großwörterbuch" which I would buy immediately (the German-French Großwörterbuch is quite useful).

If you were into legal texts I would recommend Becher, "diccionario jurídico y económico". It lists so many "normal" terms that I almost do not need the other diccionaries any more!

Good luck!

Diane

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A good German-Spanish dictionary?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »