Thread poster: OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
Poland
Local time: 04:50
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 5, 2003

We are considering a purchase of Trados 6.5. As I was not following this too closely, all I know on the differences is that TW 6.5 has unicode support, and its easier to import xls glossaries to a new MTerm, than it was in MTerm 5.5.
Are there any other noteworthy advantages/disadvantages and compatibility issues with Trados 6.5? And the last one: does anyone know when Trados will work with Office 2003?
Will appreciate any guidance.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TagEditor support for Excel/PowerPoint Dec 6, 2003

Hi Dr. G.,
We are considering a purchase of Trados 6.5. As I was not following this too closely, all I know on the differences is that TW 6.5 has unicode support, and its easier to import xls glossaries to a new MTerm, than it was in MTerm 5.5.

Strictly speaking, those two features were introduced with T6.0, but of course they continue to apply.

Are there any other noteworthy advantages/disadvantages and compatibility issues with Trados 6.5?

I'm not using T6.5 yet, but the most noteworthy change is that you can now work in TagEditor when translating Excel or PowerPoint files.

And the last one: does anyone know when Trados will work with Office 2003?
Will appreciate any guidance.

If I'm not mistaken, Daniel Brockmann (Trados) recently commented on that issue in the TW_users group.

HTH, Ralf

OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some info from Trados pages Dec 6, 2003

Ralf, thanks for your reply.
In the meantime I did some research and here are some excerpts of what I have found on the official trados pages (PR elements cut out for clarity)http://www.trados.com/library/documents/TRADOSTM/eng/Whatsnew_TM_Workbench_e.pdf

TRADOS Translator's Workbench has seen critical improvements in several areas:
• Support for Internet Translation Memory. When used with the new TM Anywhere component, users can now share translation memories ove
... See more
In the meantime I did some research and here are some excerpts of what I have found on the official trados pages (PR elements cut out for clarity)http://www.trados.com/library/documents/TRADOSTM/eng/Whatsnew_TM_Workbench_e.pdf

TRADOS Translator's Workbench has seen critical improvements in several areas:
• Support for Internet Translation Memory. When used with the new TM Anywhere component, users can now share translation memories over the Internet using the well-known Translator's Workbenchclient.

• Support for TRADOS TM Server. TRADOS TM Server is the new Internet-enabled high-performance
Translation Memory database server that has been developed to address the limitations of the
traditional file-sharing model.

• Support for TRADOS TeamWorks. Translator's Workbench and all other client-side applications
integrate seamlessly with TeamWorks, TRADOS' new collaborative workflow solution for translation
production.

• Support for Office 2003. Translator's Workbench offers support for the latest Microsoft Office
formats, including Word 2003, PowerPoint 2003 and Excel 2003.

• Direct support for Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel. The T-Window applications are no longer
required for working with Excel and PowerPoint. Translator's Workbench and TagEditor now support
these formats directly, making it possible, for example, to analyse and pre-translate PowerPoint presentations in Translator's Workbench.

• New and Enhanced Language Support. Thanks to extensive enhancements in the area of Unicode, Translator's Workbench now supports a number of new languages

• New Autoconcordance feature for phrase matching. Whenever Translator's Workbench cannot find
a match for a new sentence, it can now automatically start a Concordance search for text fragments
and phrases.

• Enhanced Translation Memory Manageability. To allow better control over TM content, especially
for large TMs, and to support the operation of TM Server components, the Maintenance feature in
Translator's Workbench has been extended.

Translator's Workbench now allows users to identify
sets of duplicate translation units and to clean them out as required. This feature is available only for
translation memories that are based on the new TM Server architecture. Moreover, users can now
filter for any unwanted translation units and delete them in one batch operation.

• Performance Improvements in Terminology Recognition and Batch Operations. One of the key
features of Translator's Workbench, terminology recognition, now runs in the background. Translator's
Workbench no longer waits for terminology recognition to be completed before showing a match from
translation memory. This speeds up the overall translation process considerably, without
sacrificing consistency at the term level. In addition to this, all batch operations in Translator's
Workbench have been enhanced to allow faster processing of large TRADOStag documents.

I think we'll go for 6.5 mostly because it supports office 2003 + unicode, which is quite important when translating ¹êœæê³ó etc. in Polish texts.
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Read newsgroups Dec 6, 2003

There are som unpleasant surprises, I think. I started with 6.0, so I hope I will not have a problem, but if I had 5.5, I'd investigate further.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not all of this applies to Freelance version Dec 6, 2003

Hi again,
Dr. G. Palka wrote:

Your initial query was regarding Trados Freelance - note that a number of the features you have quoted here are not available in the Freelance version.

• Support for Internet Translation Memory. When used with the new TM Anywhere component, users can now share translation memories over the Internet using the well-known Translator's Workbenchclient.

• Support for TRADOS TM Server. TRADOS TM Server is the new Internet-enabled high-performance Translation Memory database server that has been developed to address the limitations of the traditional file-sharing model.

• Support for TRADOS TeamWorks. Translator's Workbench and all other client-side applications integrate seamlessly with TeamWorks, TRADOS' new collaborative workflow solution for translation
production.

All these components require Trados TM Server, which is the client/server version of the Trados software. This usually requires the memories to be run under SQL Server or similar applications.

• Direct support for Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel. The T-Window applications are no longer required for working with Excel and PowerPoint. Translator's Workbench and TagEditor now support these formats directly, making it possible, for example, to analyse and pre-translate PowerPoint presentations in Translator's Workbench.

See my posting above.

• New Autoconcordance feature for phrase matching. Whenever Translator's Workbench cannot find a match for a new sentence, it can now automatically start a Concordance search for text fragments and phrases.

...the problem being that the window focus moves to the Concordance window, forcing you to click to get back to Word or TagEditor. Unusable as it is...

• Enhanced Translation Memory Manageability. To allow better control over TM content, especially for large TMs, and to support the operation of TM Server components, the Maintenance feature in
Translator's Workbench has been extended.

Translator's Workbench now allows users to identify sets of duplicate translation units and to clean them out as required. This feature is available only for translation memories that are based on the new TM Server architecture. Moreover, users can now
filter for any unwanted translation units and delete them in one batch operation.

Again, this requires TM Server (see above).

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5.5 Freelance/6.5 Comparison

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »