Looking for a good used CAT tool. Any 4 sale?
Thread poster: Marc Schumacher
Marc Schumacher
Marc Schumacher
United States
Local time: 00:14
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Nov 24, 2001

Hi!

I do not want to shell out >$600 for a new Trados as I do only occasional translation. Besides, I want to get familiar w/CAT tools before spending that much on a new one. Any suggestions? Any used one for sale?

Thanks,

Marc

Natasha Stoyanova
Natasha Stoyanova  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:14
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Try the following... Nov 24, 2001

tools, provided by www.foreignword.com.

The one is Xanadu - you can see the explanation on the mentioned site, the other one is Glossy, which is very helpful and easy for use for translations of .htm, ,html, etc.

Another link is http://champollion.net, where you can download for free the Ford Fast.

Thid tool is as useful, as Tr
... See more
tools, provided by www.foreignword.com.

The one is Xanadu - you can see the explanation on the mentioned site, the other one is Glossy, which is very helpful and easy for use for translations of .htm, ,html, etc.

Another link is http://champollion.net, where you can download for free the Ford Fast.

Thid tool is as useful, as Trados Workbench, but more easier.

Hope to be on help.

Collapse

SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
Local time: 06:14
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-24 13:35, AmusedNath wrote:

tools, provided by http://www.foreignword.com.

The one is Xanadu - you can see the explanation on the mentioned site, the other one is Glossy, which is very helpful and easy for use for translations of .htm... See more
Quote:

On 2001-11-24 13:35, AmusedNath wrote:

tools, provided by http://www.foreignword.com.

Thid tool is as useful, as Trados Workbench, but more easier.

Hope to be on help.

The CAT-tool you can download on http://www.Champollion.net, is called \"Wordfast\".

Mattias

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-24 23:49 ]Collapse

Timothy Takemoto
Timothy Takemoto
Local time: 13:14
Japanese to English
+ ...
Wordfast VS Trados Workbench Jan 4, 2002

If Wordfast is as useful as Trados workbench, why do people pay a lot for Trados (other than the fact that it is an industry standard).

Even if trados is an industry standard, Wordfast seems to be able to create Trados compatible files. So one can be industry standard compatible for free.

Is there more to Trados than \"workbench\"? I see a lot of people talking about Trados and not mentioning the word \"workbench.\"

If this forum
... See more
If Wordfast is as useful as Trados workbench, why do people pay a lot for Trados (other than the fact that it is an industry standard).

Even if trados is an industry standard, Wordfast seems to be able to create Trados compatible files. So one can be industry standard compatible for free.

Is there more to Trados than \"workbench\"? I see a lot of people talking about Trados and not mentioning the word \"workbench.\"

If this forum sent us mails letting us know when posts had been replied to it would be convenient. Until then I would be even more greateful if someone posted to

leuers-at-cec.mii.kurume-u.ac.jp

as well as to the board. -at- means \"@\"

Collapse

Mariana Barrancos
Mariana Barrancos  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:14
English to Spanish
Can Wordfast translation memory be opened with Trados? Feb 17, 2004

If I am using Wordfast as my CAT tool and my client uses Trados, can I send my wordfast translation memory and will it work with Trados?

Many thanks in advance!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I´d rather go for the latest if I were you Feb 19, 2004

Marc Schumacher wrote:

Hi!

I do not want to shell out >$600 for a new Trados as I do only occasional translation. Besides, I want to get familiar w/CAT tools before spending that much on a new one. Any suggestions? Any used one for sale?

Thanks,

Marc
Hi! In many respects combining the open architecture of Wordfast and TM development like trados and yet Terminology swap and rapid TM building ability all in one called Fusion. It is currently available in this portal. I would rather buy this, because the developer´s team giving life long support and inform you of the (long list) latest developments and additionally seamlessly integrate into your present Fusionware. That is where to go. Check up the discussions in Fusion, pro_fusion, CAT- tech support etc., It is currently available only for the windows platform supporting Latin Font system, soon it will be supporting Unicode and be unbeatable latest Industrial standard.

Best Regards,

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I´d rather go for the latest if I were you Feb 19, 2004

Marc Schumacher wrote:

Hi!

Thanks,

Marc
Hi! In many respects combining the open architecture of Wordfast and TM development like trados and yet Terminology swap and rapid TM building ability all in one called Fusion. It is currently available in this portal. I would rather buy this, because the developer´s team giving life long support and inform you of the (long list) latest developments and additionally seamlessly integrate into your present Fusionware. That is where to go. Check up the discussions in Fusion, pro_fusion, CAT- tech support etc., It is currently available only for the windows platform supporting Latin Font system, soon it will be supporting Unicode and be unbeatable latest Industrial standard.
check link - http://www.proz.com/topic/18312

Best Regards,

Paul Berthelot
Paul Berthelot  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Life-long support and Life-long licence .... Feb 23, 2004

In the advertisement for Microsoft Fusion there is on the proz site, they speak of a licence that won\'t last only a few years: Isn\'t it normal if i pay 400 $ for a licence, it should be definitive, no ? Or does life-long mean here that it grants me the right to download and fully use any next version of Fusion till this product disappear (if it changes name ?)

PB

alain raymond
alain raymond
Canada
Local time: 00:14
English to French
Fusion: a few details Mar 17, 2004

Paul Berthelot wrote:

In the advertisement for Microsoft Fusion there is on the proz site, they speak of a licence that won't last only a few years: Isn't it normal if i pay 400 $ for a licence, it should be definitive, no ? Or does life-long mean here that it grants me the right to download and fully use any next version of Fusion till this product disappear (if it changes name ?)
PB

Dear Paul,

Fusion is not a Microsoft product... But we'll take that as a compliment.

The lifetime membership offer on Fusion is as follows:
- For a unique payment you get a lifetime membership that gives you access to free tech support, all new versions and upgrades of Fusion Translate. This means you won't have to shell out more money in a couple of years to get the latest version... Pay once and you're set for life!

NOTE: this is a limited time offer.

'Isn't it normal if i pay 400 $ for a licence, it should be definitive, no ?' : It's not the current industry structure, I believe the norm is to have the customer pay for a specific version (please correct me if I'm wrong). This means you get one version of the software and are locked into this purchase, if you want to upgrade to newer version you will have to pay an upgrade fee (eventually). Also, most companies charge for their tech-support service: this is another charge you'll have to consider annually.

I hope this helps,

Alain
Fusion Team

PS: you can find more info on fusion in other Forums, like http://www.proz.com/forum/61 and
http://www.proz.com/forum/64

[Edited at 2004-03-17 16:14]

Ruta Peter
Ruta Peter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
German to Lithuanian
+ ...
Try logoport Mar 18, 2004

On 2001-11-24 13:06, equishare wrote:

Hi!

Thanks,

Marc

Not for sale but for rent is http://www.logoport.net.

You can test it for some hours before.

It can import/export Trados TM´s.

You pay 0,70 EUR per hour or cheaper,

if you use it a whole day, week or month.

You can work over the internet together with

other translators (whereever they live) at the same database, whitch is stored at the tenderers server. Of course

you can administrate your database yourself.

Only one minus: an internet connection with volume or flat rate is recommended.

Don´t worry about the speed, it also works fine with a 56 or 64 K line.

Joachim Peter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a good used CAT tool. Any 4 sale?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »