SST
SST  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:11
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Apr 20, 2004

Hello everyone,

I am considering undertaking a short course either in InDesign or QuarkXpress.

I am wondering which software is more popular as a tool to deliver DTP/translating projects, which one is more reliable, more user-friendly?

I have found an interesti
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am considering undertaking a short course either in InDesign or QuarkXpress.

I am wondering which software is more popular as a tool to deliver DTP/translating projects, which one is more reliable, more user-friendly?

I have found an interesting article:
http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/14816.html?origin=story

but I would appreciate it if you could share your personal experience with me.

Thank you!
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:41
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
InDesign and QXPress - gauge your clients' needs Apr 20, 2004

Hi, Tanya.

InDesign is a much newer application compared to QXPress, and is rapidly gaining ground. Although QXPress is still more widespread than ID, ID is rapidly making its way within graphic studios and printers (I'm following an Italian mailing list for InDesign users, and most of the subscribers are also QXP users).

From your point of view, as with all other kind of sw applications, it is best to equip yourself according to your clients' needs. QXP files can be co
... See more
Hi, Tanya.

InDesign is a much newer application compared to QXPress, and is rapidly gaining ground. Although QXPress is still more widespread than ID, ID is rapidly making its way within graphic studios and printers (I'm following an Italian mailing list for InDesign users, and most of the subscribers are also QXP users).

From your point of view, as with all other kind of sw applications, it is best to equip yourself according to your clients' needs. QXP files can be converted to ID format, but not the other way round (as far as I am aware).
They are not too different in their approach, and when you master one of them it is easy to use the other one as well. For one client I get some docs in InDesign format and others in QXP format - I think they are starting to use InDesign internally, and are at present using it only for some documents, as gradual implementation. That is I think a typical approach (another client gives me some documents in PageMaker format and others in InDesign format, for the same reason). My duty as a translator is to return the files in the same format as I get them (the client may need to change images at a later stage, or formatting, so it is important that he receives back a format that he can use).

As neither is particularly cheap, I would invest in the one for which you have immediate request/need, so that its cost can be recouped within a few projects.
Until your actual need for either ID or QXP grows, some clients may accept a workaround, i.e. provide you with the text files exported from either QXP or ID which you can translate with Word, Trados or whatever, and the client will take care of any DTP task involved in flowing your translated text back into the original document.

So I would gauge your clients' current situation and future plans, and invest accordingly. They may themselves be in a transition phase of migrating from QXP to ID, so it would make more sense to invest in ID and use text exports for any jobs in QXP.

I personally much prefer ID, particularly in its new version - but then I might be biased!

HtH,
Roberta

[Edited at 2004-04-20 07:18]
Collapse

SST
SST  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:11
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 20, 2004

Hi Roberta,

you see, I don't have a specific assignment, I just want to extend my computer skills and offer more than translating/interpreting services.

I am interested in a short course advertised here in Adelaide, either IN or QX, and the price/length of the courses is the same, that makes my decision difficult

I would be using the demo version at home for the duration of the course, so at
... See more
Hi Roberta,

you see, I don't have a specific assignment, I just want to extend my computer skills and offer more than translating/interpreting services.

I am interested in a short course advertised here in Adelaide, either IN or QX, and the price/length of the courses is the same, that makes my decision difficult

I would be using the demo version at home for the duration of the course, so at this stage the cost is not so important, but rather...which package is in greater demand, what translation/copywriting agencies are looking for.

Thank you for your detailed answer! I might just install the demo versions of both programs and play around with them before the courses start, to see which one I like more...
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:41
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
choosing what course to attend Apr 20, 2004

I see...
I would say that QXP is currently more widespread, but a large number of PageMaker and QXPress users are turnig to ID, so that in the future (1 or 2 yrs from now) ID will be more in demand (because it will be adopted by both PM and QXP users, while it is unlikely that PageMaker users will now shift to QXP).
Once you master one of them, though, it will be pretty easy to learn the other one.
ID has a user interface that's very similar to that used by Illustrator and Phot
... See more
I see...
I would say that QXP is currently more widespread, but a large number of PageMaker and QXPress users are turnig to ID, so that in the future (1 or 2 yrs from now) ID will be more in demand (because it will be adopted by both PM and QXP users, while it is unlikely that PageMaker users will now shift to QXP).
Once you master one of them, though, it will be pretty easy to learn the other one.
ID has a user interface that's very similar to that used by Illustrator and Photoshop. So that would be another advantage of attending an ID course...

HtH,
Roberta
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe InDesign vs QuarkXpress - advice needed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »