Thread poster: Sandra Milosavljevic-Rothe
Sandra Milosavljevic-Rothe
Sandra Milosavljevic-Rothe  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 14:25
German to Serbian
+ ...
May 18, 2004

While translating a pagemaker document for a customer, I had to change the font from Helvetica to Arial CE, to be able to correctly display some of the special slavian characters.

The text was shown nicely on display, but when either printing or exporting to pdf, the result was a corrupted text, showing strange symbols instead of the serbian special characters.

I found descriptions of this problem in the internet, e.g.
... See more
While translating a pagemaker document for a customer, I had to change the font from Helvetica to Arial CE, to be able to correctly display some of the special slavian characters.

The text was shown nicely on display, but when either printing or exporting to pdf, the result was a corrupted text, showing strange symbols instead of the serbian special characters.

I found descriptions of this problem in the internet, e.g. under

http://www.atlantictechsolutions.com/pmfaq1.html

however, I am not clever enough to use the described solution. Can anyone help me there? Who has successfully exported slavian pagemaker documents to pdf?
Collapse

bergazy
bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Use Fine Print PDF Factory Pro May 18, 2004

And CE characters will be recognised and reproduced correctly in PDF format as confirmed by several among our colleagues.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
explanation May 18, 2004

Hi Sandra,

Having read the relevant portions of the reference you provided (excellent information!), I think that the answer to your problem consists of doing one or more of the following:

- replace your existing font(s) with older versions (the solution described in the reference doc, but this may not be all that practical) or with versions from reputable font foundries (such as Adobe, Linotype, BitStream),
- if your printer driver is PostScript Level 3, replace
... See more
Hi Sandra,

Having read the relevant portions of the reference you provided (excellent information!), I think that the answer to your problem consists of doing one or more of the following:

- replace your existing font(s) with older versions (the solution described in the reference doc, but this may not be all that practical) or with versions from reputable font foundries (such as Adobe, Linotype, BitStream),
- if your printer driver is PostScript Level 3, replace it with a PostScript Level 2 driver (by installing a different driver or by installing a different printer),
- (possibly; not clear if this is a solution implied by the reference) use Windows 98SE or Windows 2000 instead of Windows XP.

What's happening is that when the file is sent to the printer, for some reason the font is not recognised or considered invalid (or certain character codes are not recognised or considered invalid), so characters are replaced (substituted) by characters from a different (default) font -- and if the default font does not have characters defined for the substitute codes or has 'strange' characters defined for these codes, the printout will be incorrect. Various combinations of applications, printer drivers and printers can (and do) behave differently with regard to font substitution, so trying different combinations is about the only practical solution.
Collapse

Sandra Milosavljevic-Rothe
Sandra Milosavljevic-Rothe  Identity Verified
Serbia
German to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Postscript 2 printer hints? May 18, 2004

Thank you both for your comments and hints. Buying Fineprint PDF Factory (PRO) is not an option right now, so I will have to go with Kenneth\' hints.

Unfortunately, it is simply impossible to replace all the fonts in the (many) documents I have to deal with.

On the other hand, using Postscript level 2 printer driver did not change a thing (I actually, dont see the place, where the use of the printer driver could possibly influence the output of the pdf document). In b
... See more
Thank you both for your comments and hints. Buying Fineprint PDF Factory (PRO) is not an option right now, so I will have to go with Kenneth\' hints.

Unfortunately, it is simply impossible to replace all the fonts in the (many) documents I have to deal with.

On the other hand, using Postscript level 2 printer driver did not change a thing (I actually, dont see the place, where the use of the printer driver could possibly influence the output of the pdf document). In both cases, the generated .ps-files don\'t contain the correct characters, hence converting them to pdf using the distiller fails (i.e. wrong output). could anyone hint me at a *working* printer driver (in case, it depends on the driver, that is)?
Collapse

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Explanation May 18, 2004

Pagemaker is designed for working with Postscript printers. These printers can only print Postschript fonts, and each font has two files: one for the screen and another for printing (and thus for creating PDF). Therefore, it is possible that you don't have all the characters (East European characters - Wingdings) on your screen, and even if this is so, they don't necessarily give the same result when printed out. I suggest you take an inkjet driver (HP or other) and a TrueType font this should g... See more
Pagemaker is designed for working with Postscript printers. These printers can only print Postschript fonts, and each font has two files: one for the screen and another for printing (and thus for creating PDF). Therefore, it is possible that you don't have all the characters (East European characters - Wingdings) on your screen, and even if this is so, they don't necessarily give the same result when printed out. I suggest you take an inkjet driver (HP or other) and a TrueType font this should give you the same result on your screen and on the PDF. Then print the PDF.

[Edited at 2004-05-18 11:37]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating PDF with CE fonts from Pagemaker

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »