A weakness of Google Desktop Search?
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:18
French to English
Mar 6, 2006

I you've ever had trouble locating a file with GDS, this may be the reason:

MercuryNews.com reports on a problem in Google Desktop software. When you move a file from a location on your computer to a different location, Google Desktop reportedly does not track that move. So if you search on a file that was moved, after installing Google Desktop, the file will not be correctly presented to you. The problem is, Google Desktop indexes all your files when it is first installed, then it
... See more
I you've ever had trouble locating a file with GDS, this may be the reason:

MercuryNews.com reports on a problem in Google Desktop software. When you move a file from a location on your computer to a different location, Google Desktop reportedly does not track that move. So if you search on a file that was moved, after installing Google Desktop, the file will not be correctly presented to you. The problem is, Google Desktop indexes all your files when it is first installed, then it indexes any new files added, but it does not update the index for files that are moved from location to location. The only solution I am aware of is to delete Google Desktop and then reinstall it from scratch - this way Google Desktop indexes your files all over again.
Collapse

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:48
English to Hindi
+ ...
No.. Mar 6, 2006

No, this is not correct. I moved some files from one folder to another and GDS re-indexed them properly.

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Similar problem with Copernic Desktop Search Mar 6, 2006

I've had a similar problem with Copernic - it didn't find hits that I knew were there. But I didn't know why. Thanks for the info.

However, I can circumvent reinstalling by deleting the index file and initiating a new indexing process:
Options/Erweitert (advanced?)/Index (bottom of pane), click on link.

Perhaps you have a similar option with Google Desktop hidden somewhere?

Cheers
Jill

Gusztáv Jánvári
Gusztáv Jánvári  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
An alternative Mar 6, 2006

An alternative to GDS is Windows Desktop Search—however choosing a Microsoft product is often a choice of personal sympathy, it tracks file movements.

WDS, of course, has its own pros and contras. Sometimes its processes has to be ended manually when shutting down Windows and some IE crashes may be caused by it as well, however you move your files freqently, it's inevidently a better choice.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Same here Mar 7, 2006

GDS still remembers files from 2003 which I removed to CD-ROM a long time ago using Nero. It doesn't matter since I kept the file structure intact on the cd.
Shouldn't there be an update for GDS? I really dont use it anymore very often, because I can find the text from my TMs too.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Desktop search problems Mar 7, 2006

disclaimer: I use Copernic, not GDS.

but I presume both programs operate in a similar manner.

The DTS programs index the contents of a file and its location. If you move (not copy!) the file somewhere, the program cannot know you did so until you index your drive again.

Copernic has a feature called "indexing on the fly": it updates its index every time something changes.
Personally, I don't lik
... See more
disclaimer: I use Copernic, not GDS.

but I presume both programs operate in a similar manner.

The DTS programs index the contents of a file and its location. If you move (not copy!) the file somewhere, the program cannot know you did so until you index your drive again.

Copernic has a feature called "indexing on the fly": it updates its index every time something changes.
Personally, I don't like it because it eats CPU resources, so I update my index at the end of my work day (or during dinner).

I don't see why you would have to reinstall the program whenever you move something around.

You just need to update your file index - manually or automatically. There must be an option for this in GDS.

The only drawback of all these programs is their inability to index the contents of removable media (CD's etc.) separately.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2006-03-07 07:37]
Collapse

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
While we are on the subject... Mar 7, 2006

Thanks for the very useful information, everyone!
While we"re on the subject: I'd be interested to know which desktop search tool you use. Personally, I've long been a fan of Copernic because I think it has the cleanest and most useful interface, but I did have this problem of moved files failing ot show up in the search. (Thanks, Gilian, for your tip. I'm trying it out now.)
On the other hand, for sheer convenience it's hard to beat the newer versions of GDS for sheer convenience. I
... See more
Thanks for the very useful information, everyone!
While we"re on the subject: I'd be interested to know which desktop search tool you use. Personally, I've long been a fan of Copernic because I think it has the cleanest and most useful interface, but I did have this problem of moved files failing ot show up in the search. (Thanks, Gilian, for your tip. I'm trying it out now.)
On the other hand, for sheer convenience it's hard to beat the newer versions of GDS for sheer convenience. It's a bit like MS Word: we try out other word processors but keep crawling back to Word!

And what about Web search engines? I'm always looking for something different. Have you tried Previewseek or Lexxe? Both interesting. There's also an engine called Watson but I haven(t got WOrd XP so can't use it. Would be interested to have you comments.
Best
Barnaby
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Yahoo is worth trying Mar 7, 2006

Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote:

I'd be interested to know which desktop search tool you use. Personally, I've long been a fan of Copernic because I think it has the cleanest and most useful interface, but I did have this problem of moved files failing ot show up in the search. (Thanks, Gilian, for your tip. I'm trying it out now.)

Copernic is what I use most, but it struggles with larger files and can be quite slow. Yahoo Desktop Search is much quicker than any other search programme I've used, but it seems to struggle finding accented words, and is not good at jumping to the search term in pdf files and Excel files.

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Copernic works fine for me Mar 7, 2006

Hi everyone

I still stick with Copernic. Once I had problems with moved or new files. I asked a question to support staff and got a quick answer, besides, the Copernic software attached some additional information that explained my problem. So it seems that the index file can get corrupted, which causes future problems with indexing. After removing the old index and reindexing my files, the problem dissappeared and has not reappeared ever since.

As I monitor my system
... See more
Hi everyone

I still stick with Copernic. Once I had problems with moved or new files. I asked a question to support staff and got a quick answer, besides, the Copernic software attached some additional information that explained my problem. So it seems that the index file can get corrupted, which causes future problems with indexing. After removing the old index and reindexing my files, the problem dissappeared and has not reappeared ever since.

As I monitor my system resources, I do not see Copernic using much of CPU, it only consumes about 20-30 MB, operating all the time in RAM with the "on the fly" option turned on.

Because it does a great job I have never wanted to try another programme. It is fast, reliable, with a clear and adjustable interface, what else do I need.

Piotr
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A weakness of Google Desktop Search?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »