Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:28
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
May 7, 2006

Dear colleagues,
recently I "lost", apparently without any reason, all my incoming mails since July in Outlook Express.
I mean that these mails don't show up any more in OE, but I think they are not really lost, though, as the complete dbx- folder (160 MB, which is far too much for the about 100 mails I still can see in my mail programme) is still there on my hard disk. All the other folders continue to be normally accessible. A system restore (the first thing that came to my mind)
... See more
Dear colleagues,
recently I "lost", apparently without any reason, all my incoming mails since July in Outlook Express.
I mean that these mails don't show up any more in OE, but I think they are not really lost, though, as the complete dbx- folder (160 MB, which is far too much for the about 100 mails I still can see in my mail programme) is still there on my hard disk. All the other folders continue to be normally accessible. A system restore (the first thing that came to my mind) didn't change anything. I tried then to import the folder in OE but it didn't work, and same thing when I tried to open it with Wordpad - it won't open.

I guess at this point that something in this folder is corrupted, so I had run dbxtract which is supposed to recover corrupted mailfolders and/or to extract single mails which could be very interesting, but when it is nearly finished, it stops without any error message.

Has anyone of you had a similar experience and how did you fix this problem? I have Windows XP SP 2.

Thanks in advance for any help or idea!
Collapse

shasas
shasas  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
"View" options? May 8, 2006

In the "View/Customize Current View" ("Ansicht/Aktuelle Ansicht") menu, did you by chance deactivate "Show all messages" ("Alle Nachrichten anzeigen").

If so, this would explain why only the Incoming folder is affected. Are new (unread) messages displayed?

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Sharon May 8, 2006

Sharon Sarah Schmitz wrote:

In the "View/Customize Current View" ("Ansicht/Aktuelle Ansicht") menu, did you by chance deactivate "Show all messages" ("Alle Nachrichten anzeigen").

but everything looks quite ok and all new incoming messages are displayed normally. I. e. I can see the mails until July (why July??) and everything I got since the day X (when I lost the others) - but in the middle there is a big hole

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mailfolder "lost" in OE

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »