pdf to word
Thread poster: parsifalia
parsifalia
parsifalia
Local time: 11:14
English to French
+ ...
Dec 8, 2006

I have a 200+ pages pdf document that I need to convert into word, with lay-out, before translating it.

I tried a few freeware apps from Tucows but with poor result (or none).

Does anyone know a good free convertor?

Thanks

Marc

Carolin Haase
Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Abbyy FineReader Dec 8, 2006

Hi!

Try Abbyy FineReader, although I think it's just a trial: www.freefunfiles.com/software/graphics/editors/abbyy-finereader.html

Good luck,

Carolin

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
No free lunch Dec 8, 2006

Hi Marc,

when it comes to good professional OCR software, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

As discussed many times before here on Proz, the best OCR to convert PDF to Word is Abbyy FineReader, followed by Omnipage and ReadIris.

The bad news: all of these cost over USD 100 in the shop.
The good news: all of them can be found on Ebay from time to time, for around USD 10, including shipping to Belgium!
See more
Hi Marc,

when it comes to good professional OCR software, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

As discussed many times before here on Proz, the best OCR to convert PDF to Word is Abbyy FineReader, followed by Omnipage and ReadIris.

The bad news: all of these cost over USD 100 in the shop.
The good news: all of them can be found on Ebay from time to time, for around USD 10, including shipping to Belgium!

If you search the forum, you'll find many many recommendations to buy Abbyy FineReader, it's sooo worth it! Don't waste your time with trials and hobbyist products.

Take a look:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ABBYY-FineReader-8-0-Professional-Edition_W0QQitemZ260060048253QQihZ016QQcategoryZ80268QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Best,

Jan
Collapse

Rocío Cordero
Rocío Cordero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:14
English to Spanish
Abbyy FineReader Dec 8, 2006

I agree with Carolin, at least in my case, this software has proved very useful.

Regards,

Rocio

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Did you make sure you have to start from pdf? Dec 8, 2006

We should avoid using pdf as source material at all cost. Every pdf has been generated from some other file-format, and mostly its better to translate these source files straight.
Depending on the lenght difference of the two languages you will run into problems when trying to conserve the layout.

Cheers
Heinrich

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I would split the file in equal parts and then convert Dec 8, 2006

Hi! this enables good overview and your OCR work goes in batches without consuming much of system resources, time and other related issues. Best Brandis

Andrey Slyadnev
Andrey Slyadnev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:14
English to Russian
+ ...
Solid Converter PDF Pro Dec 8, 2006

Hi Marc!

I've recently tested Solid Converter trying to convert pdf-files into doc-files, and it did a really good job keeping the original layout intact.

I believe you can find this software over the internet, it's about 20 MB to download.

I'm using Solid Converter PDF Pro 3.1.147. Please drop me a line if you have any questions.

Andrey.

Luis Zepeda
Luis Zepeda
United States
Local time: 02:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
pdf to word conversions Dec 8, 2006

Please find a link to a free conversion from pfd to word.

It has worked for me and you can do up to 100 documents before having to buy a license.

http://www.2pdf.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pdf to word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »