Thread poster: Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:49
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Mar 11, 2007

What is your preferred workflow for FM files? Using Trados Workbench and rtf files, or translating them with TagEditor? I noticed that FM also has an xml export - can this be used for translation?

Are there any workflow descriptions apar
... See more
What is your preferred workflow for FM files? Using Trados Workbench and rtf files, or translating them with TagEditor? I noticed that FM also has an xml export - can this be used for translation?

Are there any workflow descriptions apart from this one which uses workspace http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/148/1/How-to-translate-Framemaker-7-file-with-Trados-(using-Workspace)
Collapse

László Kovács
László Kovács  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:49
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I prefer TagEditor workflow Mar 11, 2007

I usualy save to MIF, and translate in TagEditor. I've never tried XML export feature of FrameMaker, but I think that Frame-exported XMLs are not to be used for translation.

Spiros Doikas
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor workflow... Mar 11, 2007

You mean save to mif and then tagged rtf files (stf). I do not think TagEditor can open a .mif file.

As far as xml and translation, have a look at this:
http://www.translate.com/technology/multilingual_standard/framemaker_to_xml.htm

[Edited at 2007-03-11 19:57]

[Edited at 2007-03-11 19:58]

László Kovács
László Kovács  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Exactly! Mar 12, 2007

I edit the STF in TagEditor. In most cases it's safer.

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
No Workspace in current Trados version Mar 13, 2007

Workspace existed only in one edition of Trados.

The usual workflow is:
1. FM > MIF (FrameMaker, if your documentation contains huge number of FM files this may be time consuming, consider buying FrameScript and additional scripts).
2. MIF > RTF/TTX (S-Tagger for FrameMaker from Trados suite, you can choose the format you want to use).
3. Translation.
4. RTF/TTX > MIF (S-Tagger for FrameMaker again, first verify tags, then convert to MIF).
5. If you hav
... See more
Workspace existed only in one edition of Trados.

The usual workflow is:
1. FM > MIF (FrameMaker, if your documentation contains huge number of FM files this may be time consuming, consider buying FrameScript and additional scripts).
2. MIF > RTF/TTX (S-Tagger for FrameMaker from Trados suite, you can choose the format you want to use).
3. Translation.
4. RTF/TTX > MIF (S-Tagger for FrameMaker again, first verify tags, then convert to MIF).
5. If you have to change the fonts into CE/Baltic/Turkish versions, you will have to map the fonts with Font Mapper.
6. MIF > FM (again FrameScript may save your time).
Collapse

Spiros Doikas
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about xml? Mar 14, 2007

Does anyone now whether FrameMaker 7.2 xml can be used for translation purposes? Kindly refer to the article I posted in previous message for some relevant info.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Elaborate? Mar 15, 2007

Spiros Doikas wrote:

Does anyone now whether FrameMaker 7.2 xml can be used for translation purposes? Kindly refer to the article I posted in previous message for some relevant info.

Hi Spiros?

Can you elaborate your question?
I assume that you mean: is it possible to export from FrameMaker 7.2 as XML, translate in your favorite CAT tool, and re-import?

I guess the first steps can be done, but I'm not sure that the re-import step works without glitches or external tools. If it was a simple operation, the industry would have moved over to that workflow long ago.

The article you refer to mentions custom made scripts by ENLASO.
From an end clients point of view, it makes a lot of sense to commission scripts to deal with XML data, not only for Framemaker, but also Indesign and other layout formats.

But from a translator's point of view, if there aren't any scripts, it's nothing that you can cook up easily, so you're pretty much subjected to the standard workflow.

/Jan

Spiros Doikas
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Jan Mar 16, 2007

This is what I mean. Did you read though that:

Six and a half years ago ENLASO developed a dramatic solution that enabled customers to publish from FrameMaker 5.5 to well-formed XML, before such a feature was supported by Adobe. Although the introduction of FrameMaker 7.0 in 2002 ***rendered this unique development obsolete***

which means, I guess, that since round-tripping was possible with Enlaso's solution, it should (?) be possible with FM 7.2 xml.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FrameMaker workflow, mif, std or xml?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »