Thread poster: Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:21
English to German
+ ...
Sep 14, 2010

Dear colleagues,

I want to ask if there is no update about recommended microphones for Dragon NaturallySpeaking. There are some comparisons on the web like this one:

http://www.knowbrainer.com/ShopOnline/index.cfm/category/18/microphone-comparisons.cfm#Wireless
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I want to ask if there is no update about recommended microphones for Dragon NaturallySpeaking. There are some comparisons on the web like this one:

http://www.knowbrainer.com/ShopOnline/index.cfm/category/18/microphone-comparisons.cfm#Wireless

or the official DNS list:

http://support.nuance.com/compatibility/default.asp

But since years they talk about the Sennheiser ME3, TheBoom "O", Andrea ANC 700, Andrea NC-181-VM USB, etc. Even on some websites like www.emicrophones.com they say that these models didn't change since the 90ies and most of them are only available in the US. Is there nothing new on the market?

Another question is why buying more expensive mikes when rather cheap ones like NC-181-VM USB (50 €) or Plantronics Audio 620 (35 €) have six dragons on the DNS website.

Thanks in advance

Noe

[Edited at 2010-09-14 07:37 GMT]
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Best micro for DNS - no update?" Sep 14, 2010

Noe Tessmann wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I want to ask if there is no update about recommended microphones for Dragon NaturallySpeaking. .../...

.../.. Another question is why buying more expensive mikes when rather cheap ones like NC-181-VM USB (50 €) or Plantronics Audio 620 (35 €) have six dragons on the DNS website.

Thanks in advance

Noe

Hi Noe: In behalf of cheaper micros, I use the cheapest Microsoft headset I found (30/40 euros) and I am very satisfied with.

However, I do not use a separated soundcard (it is integrated in the motherboard) and I suspect this avoids a lot of background noise problems. This is probably due to the absence of insertion pins that accumulate static currents and therefore generate interferences.

A good air convection flow (inlet air: front bottom; outlet air : top back) helps to use very silent fans too.

Note: At the time I was writing the post I forogot to say it is an USB headset.

[Edited at 2010-09-14 17:13 GMT]

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sound pod Sep 14, 2010

However, I do not use a separated soundcard (it is integrated in the motherboard) and I suspect this avoids a lot of background noise problems. This is probably due to the absence of insertion pins that accumulate static currents and therefore generate interferences.

A good air convection flow (inlet air: front bottom; outlet air : top back) helps to use very silent fans too.

Hi Pablo,

thanks for your answer. It seems that USB sound pods (external sound cards) really make a difference. They cost about 40 euros.
Now I have a USB mike that went down in the DNS performance test from 16 to 9 (insufficient) and I don't really know why.

Best regards

Noe

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 13:21
English
+ ...
Shure SM58 Sep 14, 2010

Hi Noe,

Although it isn't listed, the mic I use most often in my office is the Shure SM58 connected through an Andrea Analogue>USB box. You will also need a cable with the required connectors.

This mic is available worldwide, being one of the most popular mics for professional singers.

I have no test results but I use the thing 8-12 hours per day for years and have not found the need to switch.

... See more
Hi Noe,

Although it isn't listed, the mic I use most often in my office is the Shure SM58 connected through an Andrea Analogue>USB box. You will also need a cable with the required connectors.

This mic is available worldwide, being one of the most popular mics for professional singers.

I have no test results but I use the thing 8-12 hours per day for years and have not found the need to switch.

http://www.google.ca/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=shure%20sm58&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=FJCPTOyRDoj2tgOMp8SxDg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CEYQsAQwAw&biw=1423&bih=864

Regards,

Michael
Collapse

Frank van Thienen (X)
Frank van Thienen (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:21
Dutch to English
why more expensive indeed . . . Sep 14, 2010

I've also been wondering whether a more expensive microphone would be worth it. Trouble is, it's expensive to experiment.

I use a Logitech ClearChat Pro USB headset (CDN$40 / EUR 32), attached to my new Dell, with onboard sound.

When I first set up DNS 11, I had all sorts of problems, until I discovered that my external hard drive was sitting too close to the USB cable, causing interference.
Right now I am experiencing excellent results, much better than with DNS
... See more
I've also been wondering whether a more expensive microphone would be worth it. Trouble is, it's expensive to experiment.

I use a Logitech ClearChat Pro USB headset (CDN$40 / EUR 32), attached to my new Dell, with onboard sound.

When I first set up DNS 11, I had all sorts of problems, until I discovered that my external hard drive was sitting too close to the USB cable, causing interference.
Right now I am experiencing excellent results, much better than with DNS 10 on my old pc, and see no need to try anything else.

Frank
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
monaural headset Sep 14, 2010

Hi Michael,

thanks for your answer. The Shure SM58 costs around 100 $ und seems to be real professional mic but I'd prefer a monaural headset.

Kind regards

Noe

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 11:21
English
The Best Microphone we Have Ever Tested Sep 23, 2010

The best microphone we have ever tested is the Samson Airline 77. The microphone is wireless, has very high noise cancelation and the highest accuracy in our testing. It comes with a 110V and 220V option and is fairly comfortable to wear. It rests behind your head rather than over the top of your head. The microphone is expensive though at $299.00 US.

Tom Hamilton - CoHost of the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition Forums
Is Your Speech Recognition/Microphone Partner Nuance Gold
... See more
The best microphone we have ever tested is the Samson Airline 77. The microphone is wireless, has very high noise cancelation and the highest accuracy in our testing. It comes with a 110V and 220V option and is fairly comfortable to wear. It rests behind your head rather than over the top of your head. The microphone is expensive though at $299.00 US.

Is Your Speech Recognition/Microphone Partner Nuance Gold Certified & BBB Accredited?
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mike included in DNS 11 Premium ? Sep 24, 2010

Hi Tom,

thanks for your answer. OK, I asked for the best, but it seems to be one of the most expensive too. Is it really possible that there are no new microphones on the market that are suitable for DNS, preferably a monaural in the price range around 100 euros. As I said all the lists (including the one on Knowbrainer) never change since years.

Another question:

Anybody knows which mike is included in the new DNS premium?

Kind regards
... See more
Hi Tom,

thanks for your answer. OK, I asked for the best, but it seems to be one of the most expensive too. Is it really possible that there are no new microphones on the market that are suitable for DNS, preferably a monaural in the price range around 100 euros. As I said all the lists (including the one on Knowbrainer) never change since years.

Another question:

Anybody knows which mike is included in the new DNS premium?

Kind regards

Noe

[Edited at 2010-09-24 08:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-24 10:56 GMT]
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
best mic for DNS Sep 24, 2010

Hi all

the quality of a mic doesn't lie only in its acoustic/electric performances, but even in its durability and lightness, and I think that these two features are a lot more important for an expensive mic that is weared about 10 hours/day

this is why I still consider the Sennheiser ME-3 the best

Claudio

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
English
best wired headset microphones Sep 24, 2010

Claudio,

I agree the ME-3 is one of the best wired headset microphones on the market. It was also the first real performer in use with DNS but the Boom line of microphones (Boom O, Boom C, and Boom v4) is now its equal and has some featu
... See more
Claudio,

I agree the ME-3 is one of the best wired headset microphones on the market. It was also the first real performer in use with DNS but the Boom line of microphones (Boom O, Boom C, and Boom v4) is now its equal and has some features that it doesn't.
http://www.knowbrainer.com/ShopOnline/index.cfm/product/63_6/theboom-o-microphone.cfm

Is Your Speech Recognition/Microphone Partner Nuance Gold Certified & BBB Accredited?
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Boom Sep 25, 2010

sure, I see Tom

but it has a drawback too, as I don't like having a pad on my hear
;-D

Claudio

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
English
which mike is included in the new DNS premium Sep 27, 2010

Noe,

In popular opinion and our opinion, the manufacturer OEM microphone doesn't even qualify as a starter microphone and shouldn't be used by anyone serious about speech recognition. I believe it's called the NC-181 and is made by Andrea Electronics.

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
English
Correction Sep 27, 2010

I stand corrected.Technically this microphone can change from box to box depending on Nuance's mood but it's basically a $5 Labtec OEM microphone and is labeled as HS-GEN-B. The only way I could get this information was to look in a Premium 11 box.

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vansonice VHC7 Sep 28, 2010

Hi Tom,

thanks for your answer. Someone on Amazon.de told me that according to the DNS list on http://support.nuance.com/compatibility/default.asp it should be "Nuance Headset - Retail Bundle".

This is the Vanso
... See more
Hi Tom,

thanks for your answer. Someone on Amazon.de told me that according to the DNS list on http://support.nuance.com/compatibility/default.asp it should be "Nuance Headset - Retail Bundle".

This is the Vansonice VHC7: http://vansonic.com/products.php?cat_id=2

What I still don't understand is why this VHC7 and also the NC-181 you mentioned can have 6 dragons in the DNS compatibility list, when they're not more than mediocre.

Kind regards

Noe
Collapse

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Local time: 02:21
Japanese to English
Flexymike Sep 29, 2010

My favorite mic is the Flexymike from Speechware in Belgium at 129 euros (http://speechware.be/en/hardwareHeadset.php). It's extraordinarily lightweight and comfortable, easy to take on the road, and accuracy is on par or better than the Sennheiser ME-3. It's also more durable. I've had 2 Sennheisers, and they both started to fall apart after about 2 years of intensive use. Flexymike is hold... See more
My favorite mic is the Flexymike from Speechware in Belgium at 129 euros (http://speechware.be/en/hardwareHeadset.php). It's extraordinarily lightweight and comfortable, easy to take on the road, and accuracy is on par or better than the Sennheiser ME-3. It's also more durable. I've had 2 Sennheisers, and they both started to fall apart after about 2 years of intensive use. Flexymike is holding up great.

It is similar in shape and weight to The Boom, but vastly outperforms it on both accuracy and comfort.

Add on a Bluetooth transmitter and you can use it in wired or wireless mode.

I can't agree with Tom's recommendation of the Samson. I bought one, and it never did function correctly. Lots of electrical noise and static that made dictation impossible. It's also not something for the traveler, since the mic itself is very bulky, and it needs a special receiver box as well.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best micro for DNS - no update?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »