Tom Hamilton
Local time: 13:26
English
Feb 22, 2013

NaturallySpeaking Splash Screen Freeze Fix
02-22-13
by Tom Hamilton of www.KnowBrainer.com

Problem:
Dragon NaturallySpeaking fails to launch or takes an unusually long time to launch with the splash screen typically freezing for about 10 minutes.

Cause:
This temporary problem is being caused by a communications issue with a recent change made to
... See more
02-22-13
by Tom Hamilton of www.KnowBrainer.com

Problem:
Dragon NaturallySpeaking fails to launch or takes an unusually long time to launch with the splash screen typically freezing for about 10 minutes.

Cause:
This temporary problem is being caused by a communications issue with a recent change made to the Nuance update service.

Pre-Solution:
To manually stop the Update Service Agent:
1. Open the Windows Task Manager by right-clicking on the Windows Toolbar at the bottom of the screen and selecting "Start Task Manager".
2. Navigate to the "Processes" tab.
3. Locate "agent.exe" under the Image Name heading.
4. Select "agent.exe" and click "End Process".
5. Launch the Nuance Desktop application.

Permanent Solution (until Nuance fixes the Update Service):
Disable Check for Updates in Dragon NaturallySpeaking:

1. Close your user profile (not NaturallySpeaking) by clicking Profile/Close User Profile
2. Click "Tools > Administrative Settings".
• Note: Windows administrator rights are required to access the Administrative Settings dialog.
3. Navigate to the "Miscellaneous" tab.
4. Disable the "Check for product updates at startup" option.
5. Click "OK" to apply the changes.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Solution for all OS versions? Feb 23, 2013

Tom Hamilton wrote:

Problem:

Cause:
This temporary problem is being caused by a communications issue with a recent change made to the Nuance update service.

[quote]

I thought it was my PC that was causing it, but it was sluggish on both my PCs so I called the helpline. They told me it was a server fault which meant the updater took ages trying to find updates. They then asked me via email if my PC was 32 or 64 bit, so I suppose the solution will be different depending on your OS. I mainly use an old 2002 version of XP (32 bit) because the dictionaries I have installed on my HD are not available for W7.
So, I'd like to know if your solution would work on my creaky old OS before I try to do anything about it, as I'm not very tech-savvy and don't really feel safe fiddling with my PC's inner mysteries.
So far, I haven't tried out any solutions - I've just been turning Dragon on then doing other chores until it loads up, which is taking 8 to 10 minutes each time.

PS: I just checked on both my PCs and Nuance seem to have fixed the problem, as it's loading normally again, in fact it even seems to be faster now. Thanks Tom for posting the solutions here anyway!

[Edited at 2013-02-23 11:06 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »