German+English version of DNS 9 Preferred
Thread poster: robertohess
robertohess
robertohess
Local time: 19:49
German to English
Oct 9, 2007

I live in the US and currently use an older DNS Naturally Speaking Preferred version (7.2) that supports English only.

I would like to upgrade to the new DNS Naturally Speaking Preferred 9.0 version in English AND ALSO add German.

I understand that I can buy the English version and German version separately, but am not sure whether I can install and run both on the same PC. Has anyone here successfully done this and/or know how to do it?

In the alternative:
... See more
I live in the US and currently use an older DNS Naturally Speaking Preferred version (7.2) that supports English only.

I would like to upgrade to the new DNS Naturally Speaking Preferred 9.0 version in English AND ALSO add German.

I understand that I can buy the English version and German version separately, but am not sure whether I can install and run both on the same PC. Has anyone here successfully done this and/or know how to do it?

In the alternative: I read in another thread on this board that someone had a German version that also supported English. In other words, it sounds like there may be a SINGLE program out there that supports both languages. Are any of you using this program and/or know where to buy it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Robert
Collapse

Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:49
English to German
German version Oct 10, 2007

Hi Robert,

I am using the German version of Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 Preferred.

In this version, it says you can also dictate in English, but I have not tried it yet.
... See more
Hi Robert,

I am using the German version of Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 Preferred.

In this version, it says you can also dictate in English, but I have not tried it yet.

I bought it here:
http://www.amazon.de/NUANCE-Dragon-NaturallySpeaking-Preferred-9/dp/B000HRMD5G/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/303-7469299-9138642?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1192021075&sr=8-1

Please note that in the German version the handbook is only in German. Also the user interface and all the commands are in German only.

Hope this helps,
Katrin
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:49
English to German
German version is fully sufficient for English dictation Oct 10, 2007

Katrin wrote:
Please note that in the German version the handbook is only in German.

The printed manual is in German only, which is a bit annoying, but there is an English manual on the CD (PDF file), and the online help is displayed in the language of your profile.

Also the user interface and all the commands are in German only.

If you create an English-language profile, the user interface switches to English, and spoken commands are of course in English too.

Endre

robertohess
robertohess
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Anyone actually use the English part of the German version? Oct 10, 2007

Thanks so much for your good feedback - that sounds very encouraging.

Now I am wondering: How good (or bad) is the English part of the German DNS Naturally Speaking Preferred 9.0 version? Any else have any actual experience using BOTH languages in that program? If not, is there any reason to think that the English module that is intergrated into the German version won't be as good (in terms of accuracy, vocabulary etc.) as the stand-alone English version?

As English is
... See more
Thanks so much for your good feedback - that sounds very encouraging.

Now I am wondering: How good (or bad) is the English part of the German DNS Naturally Speaking Preferred 9.0 version? Any else have any actual experience using BOTH languages in that program? If not, is there any reason to think that the English module that is intergrated into the German version won't be as good (in terms of accuracy, vocabulary etc.) as the stand-alone English version?

As English is my primary target language, I would need the program to be absolutely top-notch in that direction. German is more of an added convenience, as I often have to write emails to German clients and occasionally translate into German, as well.

Thank you for any additional feedback you may have!

Robert
Collapse

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
I tried dictating in English once... Oct 13, 2007

I bought the German version (9.0 Preferred), Robert, and tried dictating in English once or twice, Robert, without training the software first. The result was--shall we say--interesting. I put this down to the fact that I hadn't trained the software and that the software may not be overly keen on my garbled American-Australian-BBC English with an Austrian-German accent.

Having said that, I can't imagine that Nunace would use a "scaled-down" English recognition system for the German
... See more
I bought the German version (9.0 Preferred), Robert, and tried dictating in English once or twice, Robert, without training the software first. The result was--shall we say--interesting. I put this down to the fact that I hadn't trained the software and that the software may not be overly keen on my garbled American-Australian-BBC English with an Austrian-German accent.

Having said that, I can't imagine that Nunace would use a "scaled-down" English recognition system for the German version. There wouldn't be any gain in it for them.

Installing DNS was a breeze (compared to the the competition product). I "naturally" ran the German installation. To be able to dictate in English, I simply installed another user. To switch from one dictating language to another you simply switch to the appropriate user.

Hearsay has it that there is a Dutch version around that will support Dutch, English, German and two more languages (I think French and Spanish but I may be wrong on that count). From what I have heard, they all seem to be on the same level recognition-wise.

I think I'm going to play around with DNS a bit and see if I can get a decent recognition rate in English. I'll keep you posted...
Collapse

robertohess
robertohess
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
More good feedback .... Oct 14, 2007

Excellent, Volkmar, thanks a lot. And I'd of course very much appreciate it if you could give the English version another try.

Robert

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
DNS English--second try Oct 17, 2007

Tried again to dictate English...still haven't had time to train the system...but the result was surprisingly good. I think with a bit of practise I could end up actually dictating my English e-mails.

Considering that this has been at the bottom of my priority list, I regard this result as a major breakthrough.

I'd say go for it, Robert...

robertohess
robertohess
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
DNS English Oct 17, 2007

Awesome, Volkmar, thank you so much. I am going to go ahead and order the German version now and let everyone know how it works for me, once I've got it all set up.

Robert

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German+English version of DNS 9 Preferred

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »