SDL XLIFF Split and Merge V 2011 Error
Thread poster: Mariel Varjão Azoubel
Lutz Plueckhahn
Lutz Plueckhahn  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:14
Member (2003)
English to German
Possible solution/workaround Oct 26, 2015

I had the same problem, i.e. was unable to merge a previously split file. However, I found a solution that may perhaps help others as well.

The Split/Merge tool seems to be extremely touchy regarding any changes made to the original, unsplit source xliff file. I did what many of you did: a test run of splitting and merging - which worked fine. However, since the tool seems to override the source file in the merge process, the file got corrupted/changed/whatever with this test. So, a
... See more
I had the same problem, i.e. was unable to merge a previously split file. However, I found a solution that may perhaps help others as well.

The Split/Merge tool seems to be extremely touchy regarding any changes made to the original, unsplit source xliff file. I did what many of you did: a test run of splitting and merging - which worked fine. However, since the tool seems to override the source file in the merge process, the file got corrupted/changed/whatever with this test. So, after I finished the translations in the separate files, I got the error message and that was it.

After playing around with some test files, I found the following solution:

- Save the translated split files to a different location
- Split the original file, again - using the same parameters as initially (e.g. number/size of target files).
- Replace the resulting split files with the ones you have already translated
- Start the Merge routine

In my case, this worked and I got the longed-for merged xliff file!

Lutz
Collapse

Paraschiva Bloju

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:14
English to Thai
+ ...
My experience Apr 25, 2016

Mattf wrote:

I downloaded the software yesterday and took the time to try it out first to make sure I could merge files together.

I copied the whole folder of the project I was working on and tried to split & merge the files. It worked fined, at that point I was at 75% of my translation.

So I decided to go ahead with the actual working folder. Today I finished the translation and when I tried to merge files back together I encountered the error mentioned above.

I had to manually re-enter more than 500 segments and needless to say I was late for the delivery of my project.

I also have similar situations for the Japanese - Thai language pair for cosmetic text translation recently.

Soonthon L.

ikkyu2005
ikkyu2005
Thailand
English to Thai
Root cause and Workaround Oct 5, 2016

I use procmon.exe to check for what went wrong and found that the app tried to look for split files with a different suffix. It try to assume the suffix value from the source file content. Therefore if you make any change to the original big file, the program went wrong.

The solution is:
Use the unmodified original sdlxiff file (the same file that you used for splitting) in the merge process.

But if you cannot find the unmodified original
... See more
I use procmon.exe to check for what went wrong and found that the app tried to look for split files with a different suffix. It try to assume the suffix value from the source file content. Therefore if you make any change to the original big file, the program went wrong.

The solution is:
Use the unmodified original sdlxiff file (the same file that you used for splitting) in the merge process.

But if you cannot find the unmodified original sdlxliff, there is a workaround here

Workaround:
- Split the file again using the modified original sdlxliff file you currently have, using the same options. Now you have a new set of split files with different names.
- Rename the translated split files to match the new set of split files.
- Use the modified original sdlxliff file and the renamed split files in the merging process.

And if SDL programmer read this. Please try to understand the root cause of the problem I explained above. It should be easy to fix by not assuming the hash value during the merging process.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL XLIFF Split and Merge V 2011 Error

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »