Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:27
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2005

I have carried out the translation of a Word document in SDLX 2004 and have 'exported' it to Trados (I have version 6.5). Trados says it cannot clean the resulting file.
I am working my way through the instructions but would welcome general advice.

[Edited at 2005-01-23 21:52]

Ramón Esquivel
Ramón Esquivel  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:27
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
exporting from SDLX 2004 to Trados Jan 24, 2005

Hello Anne,

What you get when you export an ITD to Trados (FILE -TRADOS - EXPORT TO TRADOS) is a Trados text TM.

You can create an empty Trados TM and import this Trados text TM. Now you can apply this Trados TM to a new document to get an unclean document.

However, wouldn't be easier to get the "clean" file by exporting the ITD?

Regards

Ramon

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:27
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Try option "create translation" Jan 24, 2005

Hi,

I never use the "export" function, but the "create translation" and always get an uncleaned Trados file (provided you have imported a pre-segmented file and set in SDLX following segmentation rule: "Trados Style default").

Giuliana

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problems overcome Jan 24, 2005

I first imported a Trados TM, carried out the translation in SDLX 2004 on the original Word document, but could not generate a translation because SDLX encountered a 'post-processing error'.
Then I imported the pre-segmented file from Trados with the Trados default setting as suggested above, applied the imported TM and fortunately managed to generate a translated word file in SDLX as well as export the file to Trados without problems. I had to adjust tiny details in the formatting of
... See more
I first imported a Trados TM, carried out the translation in SDLX 2004 on the original Word document, but could not generate a translation because SDLX encountered a 'post-processing error'.
Then I imported the pre-segmented file from Trados with the Trados default setting as suggested above, applied the imported TM and fortunately managed to generate a translated word file in SDLX as well as export the file to Trados without problems. I had to adjust tiny details in the formatting of the Word document: a table inexplicably split to continue on the next page, the bullet points turned into squares and a few lines were in the wrong font. I wouldn't know how to adjust those things in the unclean exported Trados file but at least the customer will be able to extract a TM from the unclean Trados file. The SDLX 2004 documentation is quite clear about the procedure (if you take the time to work your way through it...), although I could not find information in the SDLX database about the reason (and solution) for the 'post-processing error' in SDLX which prevented me from viewing the translation in Word.
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:27
English to Polish
+ ...
Roundtripping between Trados and SDLX Jan 26, 2005

If you prefer to work with Trados files in SDLX, then you can do as follows:

SDLX can import Trados segmented RTF files as usual. However, all translatable text must be segmented by Workbench first. After translation SDLX will export the RTF file with Trados segments preserved.

If you want to process TTX files, then use the free SDL Exchange to convert TTX to ITD, and then to convert back after translation.

SDL Edit can open TTX files directly, but becaus
... See more
If you prefer to work with Trados files in SDLX, then you can do as follows:

SDLX can import Trados segmented RTF files as usual. However, all translatable text must be segmented by Workbench first. After translation SDLX will export the RTF file with Trados segments preserved.

If you want to process TTX files, then use the free SDL Exchange to convert TTX to ITD, and then to convert back after translation.

SDL Edit can open TTX files directly, but because SDL Exchange is a more recent invention, I would try the latter.

HTH

Piotr
Collapse

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for tip ref Exchange Jan 26, 2005

Hi Piotr, thanks for putting me onto SDLX Exchange. I can't believe that I wasn't aware of these free tools for my SDLX 2004 version. I will download them now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

exporting from SDLX 2004 to Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »