Paulien Rutten
Paulien Rutten
Belgium
Local time: 13:19
French to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 18, 2023

Hi,

I am new to Trados and need some help. I am trying to import a file that is in French, but when I try to import it in Trados, Trados says the soure language doesn't match because the source language is identified as English. Any idea how to fix this?
It's a html file by the way.

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Which file type? Dec 18, 2023

Which type of file are you trying to import?
And what do you mean by "import"?

expressisverbis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Paulien Dec 18, 2023

Paulien Rutten wrote:
When I try to import it in Trados, Trados says the source language doesn't match because the source language is identified as English. ... It's an HTML file by the way.

First, let's confirm if it really is an HTML file. If you right-click on the file (in Windows Explorer, e.g. on your Desktop) and select Properties, what "Type of file" does it declare the file to be? An "HTML" file that "Opens with" your default browser, or an "SDL XLIFF Document" that "Opens with" Trados Studio?

The reason I'm saying this is because I'm speculating that the file you have is not a foo.html file but a foo.html.sdlxliff file, and your operating system (Windows) is set up to hide the final file extension, so that it appears to you like the file name is "foo.html" (because Windows auto-hides the .sdlxliff part). If it is true that you have an SDLXLIFF file (e.g. foo.html.sdlxliff), then it means that the person who created the file had created it with the wrong source language.

And if this is so, then perhaps you should ask your client to send you an SDLXLIFF file with the correct language codes.

Hackish solutions:

If you feel VERY confident in editing text files, you can open the SDLXLIFF file in Notepad and then change this:
source-language="en-US" target-language="fr-FR"
to e.g. this:
source-language="fr-FR" target-language="en-US"
so that Trados will load it with the correct languages.

Or, you can simply go ahead and load the file into Trados with Trados' preferred settings, and translate it. In other words, even though the file is in French, you can load it into Trados as an "English" file and simply translate it into whatever language you want to translate it into.

[Edited at 2023-12-18 15:33 GMT]

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 12:19
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I also don't understand your issue.. Dec 18, 2023

Try these solutions:

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communitykn
... See more
Try these solutions:

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000005174

https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/32963/source-language-different-from-project-source-language
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:19
English to Russian
Check your project language pair Dec 18, 2023

As a new user of Trados, you could create an EN-to-FR project and try to use it for files in French. Make sure that your project is exactly FR-to-EN (or whatever your target language is). To check your project language pair, launch Trados, go to Projects view, open the project, open your problem file and look at the lower right corner. It must be French followed by the arrow icon and your target l... See more
As a new user of Trados, you could create an EN-to-FR project and try to use it for files in French. Make sure that your project is exactly FR-to-EN (or whatever your target language is). To check your project language pair, launch Trados, go to Projects view, open the project, open your problem file and look at the lower right corner. It must be French followed by the arrow icon and your target language.
Collapse

Xanthippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados thinks the source language is English but it's French

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »