Off topic: Can someone please verify a personal Irish (Gaelic) translation?
Thread poster: ITL Translation
ITL Translation
ITL Translation
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:58
Feb 2, 2023

Hi guys,
I'm not writing in my business capacity here.
Can anyone please confirm that this Irish paragraph:
"Go mbeannaí Dia daoibh agus go raibh míle maith agaibh as a bheith anseo ag ceiliúradh an phósta Declan agus Rose" translates to:
"Good afternoon everyone and thank you so much for being here today to celebrate the marriage of Declan and Rose." Need it for a thing. Well, a wedding.
Tia,
Jo

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:58
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Probably Feb 3, 2023

For starters, I don't speak Gealic, not a word, but if I google for "Go mbeannaí Dia daoibh", it seems to be Irish.

See for example: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/go_mbeannaí_Dia_daoibh

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Feb 3, 2023

GT says that the first sentence is "God bless you" instead of "Good afternoon". Why don't you contact directly an Irish translator? There aren't many: See more
GT says that the first sentence is "God bless you" instead of "Good afternoon". Why don't you contact directly an Irish translator? There aren't many: https://www.proz.com/translator-directory/?sp=directory&mode=filter&from=gae&to=eng&type=na&skill_interpreting=Any&skill_subtitling=Any&field=&distance=50&location=&latitude=&longitude=&country=&pair_emphasis=8&native=&cred=na&software=na&sdl_trados_cert_level=na&sdlx_cert_level=na&avail=na&expertise=working&keyword=&keyword_cv_checkbox=on&wwa=na&complete_profile=na&profile_last_updated=any&posted_wiwo_within_days=&search_form_action=yCollapse

Caitriona O'Callanain
Caitriona O'Callanain
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
. Feb 3, 2023

I am a rusty Irish speaker but checked it with fluent family members to be sure. Although it translates as 'God bless', 'Dia daoibh' is a standard form of greeting in Irish.

Dia daoibh go léir agus go raibh mile maith agaibh as bheigh i láthair anseo cun posadh Declan agus Rose a ceiliúradh.

Caitriona O'Callanain
Caitriona O'Callanain
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
A few corrections Feb 3, 2023

I checked again and have a few corrections to make.

Dia dhaoibh go leir agus go raibh mile maith agaibh as bheith i láthair anseo can pósadh Declan agus Rose a ceiliúradh.

ITL Translation
ITL Translation
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much! Feb 3, 2023

That’s really helpful, Catriona.
Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can someone please verify a personal Irish (Gaelic) translation?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »