Off topic: average income of freelance translators and the average life expenses in Russia
Thread poster: Ömer Maraş
Ömer Maraş
Ömer Maraş
Türkiye
Local time: 07:18
German to Turkish
+ ...
Jan 22, 2022

Hi folks,

I'm wondering what the average income of freelance translators and the average life expenses in Russia are... What do freelancers earn per month, and what is the average monthly costs of living in Russia (rent included and excluded)...??

Just wondering....

Any answers???

Thanks in advance!

regards

Omer

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
Can't give any averages, but I doubt it's a good bet Jan 22, 2022

Hi!

It depends on whether you have customers from rich countries who can pay you in USD or EUR (or know where to look for such customers and how to secure work from them). If you're considering working for Russian customers, I'd say it's not the best idea because most of them are way too greedy and some can't even tell a good translation from a bad one. In our market here, translation rates are low but the vast majority of people who accept such rates can't do the job properly, so,
... See more
Hi!

It depends on whether you have customers from rich countries who can pay you in USD or EUR (or know where to look for such customers and how to secure work from them). If you're considering working for Russian customers, I'd say it's not the best idea because most of them are way too greedy and some can't even tell a good translation from a bad one. In our market here, translation rates are low but the vast majority of people who accept such rates can't do the job properly, so, as a freelancer, you'll have to keep trying to convince your customers that you're an outstanding translator before you can push your rates upward (and that may take months or years). An entry-level freelancer will probably struggle to survive. Strong medical translation skills seem to be a good asset (unfortunately, I don't do medical). If you're able to enter the high-end translation market, you'll probably be paid about USD 1k per month (we measure income by month), which may be enough to give you a middle class standing in some parts of Russia other than St. Pete and Moscow. Moscow is expensive, so economists say you'll have to cross the USD 1300 level to find yourself in the lower tier of the middle class but you won't be able to properly support a family (although some people seem to make do with much less than that: when in the military, I knew a man who had 4 kids and his wife was unemployed, and I couldn't figure out how they managed with his income of under USD 300; btw, some Moscow agencies are still offering jobs with a pay rate of about USD 450 per month). I don't have to rent a place to live, so I don't know how things are going in that market, but I'd guess anything decent will start at about USD 300 (again, you can find cheaper deals if you choose to live someplace other than St. Pete and Moscow – out of which I do recommend the former). Perhaps someone else will be able to give you more figures

[Edited at 2022-01-22 11:21 GMT]
Collapse

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Depends on the variables Jan 23, 2022

In St. Petersburg, for example, we used to pay 35,000 rubles per month for a (newish) one-room apartment (36 square meters) two metro stations from the city center. You can find a room (10-15 square meters) in a dormitory/communal type flat for 10-15,000 rubles. Fruits and vegetables can be up to 10 times more expensive compared to what you are used to.

[Edited at 2022-01-23 02:25 GMT]

Ömer Maraş
Ömer Maraş
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jan 23, 2022

many thanks, denis, for your detailed answer. any plans to relocate to russia are cancelled - I should stay put
I hope, situation improves for you folks! and for us as well..

best regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

average income of freelance translators and the average life expenses in Russia

Translation news in Russian Federation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »