Autor wątku: Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:16
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Jun 4, 2004

Dear colleagues,

translating html is not that difficult anymore. But I have one question about the tags. Is it useful to localize them:
in ?
But in my case the html text is in French, but it seems that is has already been translated from Dutch. The tags stayed the same. To be really professional I could change them to German or is there no need to do so?

thanks in advance

Noe

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2002

angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Yes, it should be localized. Jun 4, 2004

Noe Tessmann wrote:
Is it useful to localize them:
§span lan ="nl-be"$ in $span lan ="de"$ ?
Noe

Yep. Quote from the web:
Identifying language changes on multilingual web pages helps a browser to display text appropriately for that language, and allows access aids such as speech synthesizers and Braille devices to pronounce text using language-appropriate pronunciation rules. (http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/html/en/gls/g248.html)

I've seen this tag being used a lot in xml files lately. However, you may want to point out that it's lang, not lan.

Noe Tessmann wrote:
To be really professional I could change them to German or is there no need to do so?

Consider them value added tags

[Edited at 2004-06-04 16:59]

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
disappeared Jun 4, 2004

didn't show up

Thank you Hermann for your answer. The tags I wanted to quote disappeared. I mean these ones:

§span lang ="nl-be"$ in $span lang ="de"$

Should do a global Search and Replace at the end.

cheers

Noe

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Niemcy
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
In Memoriam
I might be completly wrong, but Jun 4, 2004

I have never heard that anybody translated the tags in HTML.
The tags such as "html", "Head", "Base", "Link", "Body" etc should never be translated. I did check my german HTML books, I did not find any translated HTML tags. If the tags in your source text already have been translated, I would suggest you contact your customer and ask him, if this is what he wants.

I agree with Klaus completely, however, are we talking about the same thing.

Now that I can see the t
... See more
I have never heard that anybody translated the tags in HTML.
The tags such as "html", "Head", "Base", "Link", "Body" etc should never be translated. I did check my german HTML books, I did not find any translated HTML tags. If the tags in your source text already have been translated, I would suggest you contact your customer and ask him, if this is what he wants.

I agree with Klaus completely, however, are we talking about the same thing.

Now that I can see the tags that are concerned, Klaus is right, localize them.
[Edited at 2004-06-04 16:43]

[Edited at 2004-06-04 16:47]

[Edited at 2004-06-04 18:33]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HTML-Tag to be localized?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »