Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is ProZ.com Platinum worth it?
Thread poster: Christian Erwig-Straughan
Christian Erwig-Straughan
Christian Erwig-Straughan
German to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2002

I would like your opinions on this. I am thinking of upgrading to ProZ Platinum, but $120 is quite a bit of money. Is it really worth it? Do you really get more jobs? I know that Platinum bids are placed higher, but does that really make a difference in who gets the job?

Thanks!

Lydia Molea
Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:51
English to German
+ ...
I think it does make a difference Jun 18, 2002

I was a non-paying member for a few months, and then upgraded (btw: if you have 6000 Browniz, you only pay 60 Dollars for Platinum). Until then I had only received one job from all my bids, as soon as I was a platinum member I received more. Also, I receive direct e-mails from outsourcers, inquiries, etc. To me it was definitely worth it.

bochkor
bochkor
Local time: 13:51
English to German
+ ...
No big difference! Jun 18, 2002

Well, lately I just keep applying and applying, even on the website, but nothing seems to come my way. So I don\'t think it makes a big difference, but I also want Henry to be able to advertise more, in order to get in more good agencies, so I\'m supporting that. In a way I\'m paying for hope, not real jobs, unfortunately. Last summer was better, though (reason: see 9/11 and U.S. recession since then).

Mariana Barrancos
Mariana Barrancos  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:51
English to Spanish
It sure is! Jun 18, 2002

It did make a difference in my case. Most of my clients come from Proz and bidding is essential in order to get new jobs from them. This is about the most complete and hepful site for Translators. I\'d say: Go for it!

Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL
Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:51
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Still no jobs from ProZ Jun 18, 2002

Hello,

I have to say that my job count through ProZ is still \"zero\"... Sometimes I get mails from agencies, sometimes I bid... I was chosen once, but the agency was offering a ridiculous amount to translate something very specific (in my area of expertise) and I indicated that my price was \"x\" per word, and the agency offered x-60%... What I see is a lot of low rates, then I don\'t bother to answer.

Unfortunately, I can\'t say that upgrading my membe
... See more
Hello,

I have to say that my job count through ProZ is still \"zero\"... Sometimes I get mails from agencies, sometimes I bid... I was chosen once, but the agency was offering a ridiculous amount to translate something very specific (in my area of expertise) and I indicated that my price was \"x\" per word, and the agency offered x-60%... What I see is a lot of low rates, then I don\'t bother to answer.

Unfortunately, I can\'t say that upgrading my membership made any difference at all. This one is valid until January, so I\'ll wait and see.

Thank God I have other clients!

Adriana

Brazil

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-18 22:00 ]
Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
It's well worth it to me :-) Jun 18, 2002

I can vouch for the same here:

Upgrading to Platinum has made it well worth it to me.

I get more direct emails from agencies (just made a new client - with good reputation - this week and they agreed to a decent rate of pay etc...)

In comparison, I have a Silver membership on Aquarius for about the same price and I have not nearly have had as much success with it. I will not be renewing my Silver Aquarius membership when it expires.
... See more
I can vouch for the same here:

Upgrading to Platinum has made it well worth it to me.

I get more direct emails from agencies (just made a new client - with good reputation - this week and they agreed to a decent rate of pay etc...)

In comparison, I have a Silver membership on Aquarius for about the same price and I have not nearly have had as much success with it. I will not be renewing my Silver Aquarius membership when it expires.

Best regards,

Nathalie
Collapse

Antonio Costa (X)
Antonio Costa (X)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Lots and lots...... Jun 18, 2002

of experience so far. That\'s what my 120 buck worth Platinum has so far given me in return. They say you have to be on the top to get jobs. I\'m afraid I\'ll starve if that\'s the condition. People seem to have Kudoz for breakfast, luch, dinner and on bed as well. That\'s what I understand to be \"stick to it\".

Thanks God I have my own long-term clients.

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:51
German to English
+ ...
Was a good investment Jun 19, 2002

I had a rough time after 9-11 WTC, because the translation market here in Japan just dried out completely - by whatever reason. I signed up to ProZ in May and upgraded in October 2001.

Though the jobs, I received through ProZ are in general substantially lower paid than on the local \"free market\" here in Japan, it helped me over the dry period and I made about $5000 in total on ProZ-related translations.

Also the community is great. I had a job in earl
... See more
I had a rough time after 9-11 WTC, because the translation market here in Japan just dried out completely - by whatever reason. I signed up to ProZ in May and upgraded in October 2001.

Though the jobs, I received through ProZ are in general substantially lower paid than on the local \"free market\" here in Japan, it helped me over the dry period and I made about $5000 in total on ProZ-related translations.

Also the community is great. I had a job in early spring that overwhelmed me and I was able to get support from fellow translators.

For me it is definitely worth it and I will extend in October.
Collapse

Al Gallo
Al Gallo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not to me but . . . Jun 19, 2002

After six months and quite a few bids, I don\'t see any results. It is possible that some of the following elements don\'t make me attractive:

1)I live in Australia.

2)I am a bilingual writer (EnglishSpanish) rather than a translator with more degrees than the temperature of boiling water.

3)My rates are competitive but not down to near zilch as some seen here offered by some agencies.

4)Not enough jobs available for the huge amount bidders. It is unknown
... See more
After six months and quite a few bids, I don\'t see any results. It is possible that some of the following elements don\'t make me attractive:

1)I live in Australia.

2)I am a bilingual writer (EnglishSpanish) rather than a translator with more degrees than the temperature of boiling water.

3)My rates are competitive but not down to near zilch as some seen here offered by some agencies.

4)Not enough jobs available for the huge amount bidders. It is unknown (at least to me) what is the average proportion of \'platinums\' in the final counts. Just imagine that in a 100 bidder job there are 50 \'platinums\' at the top; in this case things are not easy.

If it wasn\'t for the work I gather directly from my independent web site, I would be out of business.

Apart from the \'platinum\' issue, I must say that ProZ is a great mob to be with anyway!

Collapse

athena22
athena22  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:51
English
+ ...
I agree with Jun 19, 2002

everything that Hans-Henning has said.

(And really, I don\'t have any translation degrees,but I do have a sort of strange and interesting resume that probably makes up for that...)

I will \"re-up\" when my membership comes due.

Plus the Blue Board agency ratings (combined with the TCR list, not a part of Proz)and the ability to form teams have both been useful to me.

Olga Simon
Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
Not really worth it in my case Jun 19, 2002

I did get my 120 bucks back though, through ProZ jobs (actually it was only one job ), but forget about working for your own profit.

I\'d say it depends on your language pair. You can have triple Platinum membership and be placed on the top of the bid - there will be cases when the job will be given to those who agree to work for USD.03/word.

So, try to learn more about rates in your language pair,
... See more
I did get my 120 bucks back though, through ProZ jobs (actually it was only one job ), but forget about working for your own profit.

I\'d say it depends on your language pair. You can have triple Platinum membership and be placed on the top of the bid - there will be cases when the job will be given to those who agree to work for USD.03/word.

So, try to learn more about rates in your language pair, if you are not exposed to dumping prices - Platinum membership might be worth a try, otherwise - better spend it on travel.

Yes, that is also true that you are contactd directly by Agencies - but the scenario is the same as above.
Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I don't take 3 cents/word jobs and.... Jun 19, 2002

Dear Olga,

In regards to your last comment about having the same scenario (low price offers) when contacted directly by agency...

Since I mentioned in my own message posting above that I do get contacted by agencies directly, I wanted to *specify* that the majority of tjpse agencies offer me a lot more than US$0.03/word.

I do not take 3 cents per word jobs... and if an agency would dare send me one, they would get turned down flat an
... See more
Dear Olga,

In regards to your last comment about having the same scenario (low price offers) when contacted directly by agency...

Since I mentioned in my own message posting above that I do get contacted by agencies directly, I wanted to *specify* that the majority of tjpse agencies offer me a lot more than US$0.03/word.

I do not take 3 cents per word jobs... and if an agency would dare send me one, they would get turned down flat and trust me, I would leave no room for misunderstanding as to why I\'d be turning them down!

I think that it all depends on a translator\'s language pairs as well as the agencies that go looking on the internet for translators as well. This site is well known so you will have more agencies consulting the database of translators.

I can tell you that on Aquarius, I do not find many jobs which are suitable for me, there are a lot fewer job postings so this means LESS TRAFFIC.

The way to catch something is to be where the traffic is, and do also contact clients directly - aka Marketing

Best of luck to everyone, enjoy your day!

Nathalie
Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:51
French to English
Perhaps worth it for translators out of English Jun 19, 2002

Hi Christian,

I upgraded to Platinum last January and I\'ve had a couple of enquiries about my services. That\'s it. I have a feeling, though, that translators working out of English into their native language will have better luck finding clients here (most of my clients are in Quebec and the rest of Canada, and I don\'t think Quebeckers would come to this site looking for translators).

Food for thought,

Erika

Olga Simon
Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
I just summed up all our postings - opinions split 50-50%! Jun 19, 2002

At least for now - out of the first 10 people 5 gave the Platinum membership a \"plus\" sign, the other half - a \"minus\" sign. Let\'s see how it goes further.

To Nathalie:

Quote:

the majority of tjpse agencies offer me a lot more than US$0.03/word.

I do not take 3 cents per word jobs... and if an agency would dare send me one, they would get turned down flat and trust me, I would leave ... See more
At least for now - out of the first 10 people 5 gave the Platinum membership a \"plus\" sign, the other half - a \"minus\" sign. Let\'s see how it goes further.

To Nathalie:

Quote:

the majority of tjpse agencies offer me a lot more than US$0.03/word.

I do not take 3 cents per word jobs... and if an agency would dare send me one, they would get turned down flat and trust me, I would leave no room for misunderstanding as to why I\'d be turning them down!

I do not take such jobs either!

As I have already mentioned, IMO it all depends on one\'s language pair and the fact of being exposed to dumping prices.

A propos, today I discovered a new member in my language pair and looked at his profile - the guy is asking for USD0.02/word!!! Now if he upgrades to Platinum and keeps his rates ... ▲ Collapse

Katsuhiko KAKUNO, Ph.D.
Katsuhiko KAKUNO, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:51
English to Japanese
+ ...
I have same question with you. Jun 19, 2002

Really I think so. I have completely same question as you.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is ProZ.com Platinum worth it?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »