Páginas sobre el tema:   [1 2] >
When you format a PC, does the OS get deleted?
Autor de la hebra: Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Grecia
Local time: 01:11
inglés al griego
+ ...
Apr 27, 2008

Hello all,

I've got an Acer Aspire 9300 desktop replacement laptop with pre-installed Win Vista, 2 partitions x50GB and I want to format. I need to point out that I know very little of these things. I don't have a recovery CD, nor a Windows Vista CD (only a Windows Anytime Upgrade [???]). When I right click on the partition icon I get the choice "Format" and afterwards I can select "format" or "quick format" and then I get the alert "Attention: everything will get deleted".
... See more
Hello all,

I've got an Acer Aspire 9300 desktop replacement laptop with pre-installed Win Vista, 2 partitions x50GB and I want to format. I need to point out that I know very little of these things. I don't have a recovery CD, nor a Windows Vista CD (only a Windows Anytime Upgrade [???]). When I right click on the partition icon I get the choice "Format" and afterwards I can select "format" or "quick format" and then I get the alert "Attention: everything will get deleted".

Question: "Everything" includes the OS files? If yes, how do I recover it? Do I have to be an expert?

I have created a back-up of all my files and folders, including everything contained in C (Program files, Windows files, everything) in an external drive (Copy - Paste). Is that enough not to lose anything that might compromise my PC's funtionality?

After the format, will I get the kind of blank, untouched PC that it was when I first bought it, when all it had was the OS (you know, the PC that we get from the store, with a preinstalled OS and no software at all)?

Thanks!
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Polonia
Local time: 00:11
Miembro 2002
inglés al ruso
+ ...

Moderador de este foro
LOCALIZADOR DEL SITIO
Hi Eleni Apr 27, 2008

First of all, you cannot 'format a PC'. You can format your hard disk only.

Second: what would happen to the OS, depends on which of the partitions you wish to format.

And finally, the most important question: why do you want to format?

[Edited at 2008-04-27 12:37]

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Grecia
inglés al griego
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Thanks, Natalie! Apr 27, 2008

When I said I knew little of these things, I meant really little

It's my backup laptop. I use it really rarely, however when I need to use it for work (with Trados7) I know I can't, because of a problem, to which I can't find a solution. Several months ago, I installed PDF Pro 8, which, as I learnt afterwards, isn't compatible with Trados 7, and it messed up with my Trados macros. Ever since then, my system doesn't re
... See more
When I said I knew little of these things, I meant really little

It's my backup laptop. I use it really rarely, however when I need to use it for work (with Trados7) I know I can't, because of a problem, to which I can't find a solution. Several months ago, I installed PDF Pro 8, which, as I learnt afterwards, isn't compatible with Trados 7, and it messed up with my Trados macros. Ever since then, my system doesn't recognise that Trados is running, even if it is. No computer technician where I live can help me, because they don't know about Trados. The local Trados rep gave me several advice about what I can do to overcome the problem, but in vain... The problem isn't that big, because it is only my backup computer, but still, having a great new computer locked in the closet is somewhat crazy. Therefore, I thought that a format should clean all software- (and macro-) related problems. At least, this is all I can think of...

I don't have any work- or play- related files stored in it. And I have installation CD's for all the software I need. But I don't have a Windows CD.

The format I have in mind concerns the C partition, where Program Files (and Windows files) are located...

[Edited at 2008-04-27 13:05]
Collapse

Celia Recarey
Celia Recarey  Identity Verified
España
inglés al español
+ ...
System Restore Apr 27, 2008

Hi Eleni,

If you are running Windows XP, the System Restore feature might help you solve the problem. I have done it quite a few times...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 23:11
Miembro 2006
inglés al polaco
+ ...
LOCALIZADOR DEL SITIO
You will have to install OS and all the programs again Apr 27, 2008

After formatting this partition. It is a rather drastic solution, have you already tried to uninstall PDF Pro 8?

Stanislaw

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Grecia
inglés al griego
+ ...
Kicked out PDF Pro 8, among others... Apr 27, 2008

Thanks, Stanislaw,

I have uninstalled PDF Pro 8 and anything else that created macros in my system and I refuse to install any such software. I also uninstalled Trados and MS Office and loaded them again. I also searched for macros .dots and deleted everything. In vain...

The bad thing about formatting is that I don't have the OS installation CD. I was never given one with my PC

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
inglés al árabe
+ ...
do not reformat Apr 27, 2008

Eleni

do not reformat the c:\ drive this will delete the os

first of all when you bought the laptop it must have an OS on it you shouild have a sticker on the laptop with the licence number on this will show it is a genuine copy.

if you open up my computer how many drives does it show

the hard drive may be split into several partitions and one fo the aprtitions D ??
may contain the backup software. to return the l;aptop to the factory co
... See more
Eleni

do not reformat the c:\ drive this will delete the os

first of all when you bought the laptop it must have an OS on it you shouild have a sticker on the laptop with the licence number on this will show it is a genuine copy.

if you open up my computer how many drives does it show

the hard drive may be split into several partitions and one fo the aprtitions D ??
may contain the backup software. to return the l;aptop to the factory condition.

if it does running this will set ity back to the weay it was when you bought it you will then have to reinstall all your programs again

if you don't have a partition with a back up system restore may help if you have a restore point from before the problems started.

if not then the only thing you can do is if you really need to reformat is ask one of your computer people to do it for you - they should be able to do it using your oriiginal licence

you will then have to reinstall the software you need.

it is not that difficult to do but good luck
Collapse

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
inglés al árabe
+ ...
backups Apr 27, 2008

Eleni

your back ups won't work once you have reformatted or returned the pc to its original format you cannot just copy them back to the original fiolders you need to reinstall them all

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Grecia
inglés al griego
+ ...
Emandan, thank you! Apr 27, 2008

Your advice is precious.

You're right, I must have this CD with the sticker... I need to search a bit better.

Unfortunately, I don't have a restore point prior to the problem, because that happened around New Year's day (Santa's nasty surprise...), which is too long ago...

I'll just take the PC to a professional and hope the whole thing will end up well!

Thank you!

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
español al neerlandés
+ ...
Emandan is right, beware... Apr 27, 2008

You said

"..I must have this CD with the sticker... I need to search a bit better".

Unfortunatly, since the days of Windows 98, you do not always receive a CD with a new computer. The sticker in those days was included in the Windows manual, nowadays it is located on the computer itself. You can burn a recovery DVD or CD for yourself, but you need the ORIGINAL OS to do that, so do not reformat. Search for an option "System Recovery", it will lead you through a proces
... See more
You said

"..I must have this CD with the sticker... I need to search a bit better".

Unfortunatly, since the days of Windows 98, you do not always receive a CD with a new computer. The sticker in those days was included in the Windows manual, nowadays it is located on the computer itself. You can burn a recovery DVD or CD for yourself, but you need the ORIGINAL OS to do that, so do not reformat. Search for an option "System Recovery", it will lead you through a proces to burn recovery CD's. In my case it used up to 8 or 10 blank CD's or 2 blank DVD's, so stock up before starting!

Now, as your problem seems to be with TRADOS (not even PDF-Pro which you already removed), I suggest you contact SDL with your question.
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Grecia
inglés al griego
+ ...
e-recovery manager Apr 27, 2008

Actually, yes, the recovery CD's can be burnt from Windows. I am now creating a back-up image to later burn into DVD's (or I don't know if storing them in an external drive of adequate capacity would be a good idea). They are supposed to bring my system to its original, factory condition.

As for contacting SDL, I have already run a week-long marathon of advice and tips exchanging with their rep for Greece, which didn't resolve the problem.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
inglés al hebreo
+ ...
Recovery partition Apr 27, 2008

Hi,

It is common practice to create a recovery partition (hidden one) in laptops. This will enable you to recover your harddisk. I searched a bit (I don't have any acer products) and I found out that in order to restore you need to access software that is called eRecovery (Probably Start -> Empowering Technology -> eRecovery Management). from there you should be able to recover your PC to the point when you first get it (meaning that it would contain only the OS and the bundle softw
... See more
Hi,

It is common practice to create a recovery partition (hidden one) in laptops. This will enable you to recover your harddisk. I searched a bit (I don't have any acer products) and I found out that in order to restore you need to access software that is called eRecovery (Probably Start -> Empowering Technology -> eRecovery Management). from there you should be able to recover your PC to the point when you first get it (meaning that it would contain only the OS and the bundle softwares that came with it).

I have another suggestion. The built-in windows uninstaller leave quite alot of traces behind. You should use a better uninstaller (I recommend http://www.revouninstaller.com/) that search and delete most of the traces.
You can do it manually as well, but it will take some effort. you need to go and delete manually every left behind directory or file that you find (in program files, and more places).

I think that it is best to recover your system and than install only what you need in order to work with the laptop. It is the easier solution.

If you need any more assistance just let me know. I hope that it will help you.
Collapse

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Grecia
inglés al griego
+ ...
A solution to your problem Apr 27, 2008

Hi Eleni and Happy Easter!

You may find some answers here in order to create a CD of the Windows copy you purchased with your computer.

[Edited at 2008-04-28 10:11]

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
México
Local time: 16:11
inglés al español
Eleni, Apr 27, 2008

I think yours is not a big problem.

You say your laptop is running under Vista, right? Then, your MS Office application is 2007, isn't that so?

I remind you that Trados and Office 2007 are incompatible. Then, your solution is:

· Uninstall Office 2007, and install Office 2003 instead, and leave anything else untouched.

If you say PDF Pro 8 is causing problems, then uninstall this and install PDF Pro 6. This is as good as the la
... See more
I think yours is not a big problem.

You say your laptop is running under Vista, right? Then, your MS Office application is 2007, isn't that so?

I remind you that Trados and Office 2007 are incompatible. Then, your solution is:

· Uninstall Office 2007, and install Office 2003 instead, and leave anything else untouched.

If you say PDF Pro 8 is causing problems, then uninstall this and install PDF Pro 6. This is as good as the latest version, and compatible with everything else.

My two cents.
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Grecia
inglés al griego
+ ...
MS Office 2003... Apr 27, 2008

Thank you, Tadzio,

I use MS Office 2003. I had thought to shift into 2007 and tried it, too, but I rejected it for being very different than 2003, which I like and use.

It isn't a compatibility issue. I had been working seamlessly with Vista, MS Office 2003 and Trados 7 for 9 months, before the problem came about. SDL support told me it was PDF Pro 8, which caused problems. I imagine there was some kind of conflict between .dot files. I have now uninstalled Trados. When
... See more
Thank you, Tadzio,

I use MS Office 2003. I had thought to shift into 2007 and tried it, too, but I rejected it for being very different than 2003, which I like and use.

It isn't a compatibility issue. I had been working seamlessly with Vista, MS Office 2003 and Trados 7 for 9 months, before the problem came about. SDL support told me it was PDF Pro 8, which caused problems. I imagine there was some kind of conflict between .dot files. I have now uninstalled Trados. When I install it, Word starts giving me error messages, something about Visual Basic (I don't remember exactly what, as I haven't used that PC in a while). I imagine that my normal.dot has been modified, but I'm not sure, and I just can't think of a way to restore it. What's odd is that when I uninstalled and reinstalled Office, I had expected the normal.dot to have "forgotten" about this modification - if that is the case - , however the problem persisted in the very same way.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll work something out, with or without pro help!

[Edited at 2008-04-27 16:10]
Collapse

Páginas sobre el tema:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When you format a PC, does the OS get deleted?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »