Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 08:59
Miembro 2003
finlandés al alemán
+ ...
Apr 3, 2005

Last week I installed a piece of software on my win2000 machine. The installation had to install also .net-framework. After an hour I went to bed, the installation still goin on. Next morning it was finnished.
Today I installed Trados Multiterm. Again .net framework hat to be installed. This time it took "only" 15 minutes.
What is this .net good for and why does it have to be installed many times?
Regards
Heinrich

Tadej Kokalj
Tadej Kokalj  Identity Verified
Eslovenia
Local time: 07:59
inglés al esloveno
+ ...
.Net Framework Apr 3, 2005

What is .Net framework is described here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/overview/default.aspx

Obviously Trados use .Net tehnology and that is why .Net Framework must be installed, if you want to use Trados. The only problem I see is, that Trados includes Framework 1.0, where Framework 1.1 is actuall version and at installatio
... See more
What is .Net framework is described here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/overview/default.aspx

Obviously Trados use .Net tehnology and that is why .Net Framework must be installed, if you want to use Trados. The only problem I see is, that Trados includes Framework 1.0, where Framework 1.1 is actuall version and at installation it doesn't proof if and which version of Framework is already installed! (BTW every game can check installed DirectX version).

Which version has you downloaded? Framework 1.1? Have you installed SP1 also? Has Trados overrided it with version 1.0?

I wouldn't care too much, at least as far as your software works.

Cheers,
Tadej
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
Local time: 07:59
Miembro 2006
inglés al afrikaans
+ ...
.NET is better for programmers than for users, but... Apr 8, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
The installation had to install also .net-framework. After an hour I went to bed, the installation still goin on.

Something is wrong... on my W2000 box it took less than 5 minutes to install the .NET framework. I suggest checking your computer (personally I would reformat and reinstall everything).

Today I installed Trados Multiterm. Again .net framework hat to be installed. This time it took "only" 15 minutes.

Again, the fact that Multiterm did not detect that you already have .NET installed, is a sign that something is wrong with your computer. Besides, IMHO it is generally not a good idea to install a newer version of any runtime environment (be it .NET, Java, GTK etc) without first uninstalling the old one first.

What is this .net good for...

It is a means for lazy programmers or newbies to create software quickly and uniformly without having to have the balls for a proper job done in C+ or D or suchlike. I can see no benefit to the user, except that once you've intalled it, you can also run other programs created for it or with it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is .Net-Framework good for?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »