Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 16:11
din engleză în arabă
+ ...
May 17, 2004

Hi all,
I am seriously considering investing in a CAT tool - Trados, DejaVu, Wordfast, and have read quite a bit about them, but I am still clueless as to which is the one most suited for an Arabic translator. I would love to hear your positive and negative experiences. Did you think that it was worth it? And what about OCR software, as usually Arabic texts come as hard copies and need to be converted?
THanks
Nesrin

Randa Farhat
Randa Farhat  Identity Verified
Liban
Local time: 18:11
din engleză în arabă
+ ...
CAT for Arabic May 18, 2004

Hello Nesrin,
I tried SDLX before.. and on testing the trial version it showed an English>Arabic function. Yet, it didn't work at all. So far I have downloaded SDLX, Trados, Wordfast for trial.. but figuring out those CATS made me go back to my old-way: Brains & Dictionary!
I'm very interested in learning about other Arabic translators' experiences with CAT tools and which they found most suitable.
Cheers!

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:11
din germană în engleză
+ ...
CAT tools for Arabic translations May 25, 2004

Nesrin,

You might like to try the latest test version of OmegaT, version 1.3.14. It works for translation from Arabic. We don't honestly know whether it works for translation to Arabic, i.e. Arabic input, as we've been waiting for an Arabic user to give us some feedback.

OmegaT is free. You can get a copy from www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html. You will also need (essen
... See more
Nesrin,

You might like to try the latest test version of OmegaT, version 1.3.14. It works for translation from Arabic. We don't honestly know whether it works for translation to Arabic, i.e. Arabic input, as we've been waiting for an Arabic user to give us some feedback.

OmegaT is free. You can get a copy from www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html. You will also need (essential!) Java 1.4.2 (if you have an earlier version of Java, please upgrade) and OpenOffice.org, version 1.1.0 or later. These programs are also free.

Marc
Collapse

Sabry Hameed
Sabry Hameed  Identity Verified
Egipt
Membru (2004)
din persană (farsi) în arabă
+ ...
I recommend Trados or Wordfast May 29, 2004

Hi Nesrin,
As you know, CAT tools are very useful for the translator. AS Arabic translators seek an Arabic competent Tool, there are a lot of them available in Arabic "Trados, Wordfast, Deja vu, SDLX,....". From all of these, I used Trados and Wordfast. These two worked properly in Arabic texts and gave me good results indeed.
I recommend Trados then Wordfast to you.

I hope it helps.

Sabry

Mohamed
Mohamed  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 09:11
din engleză în arabă
+ ...
OCR May 31, 2006

Hi Nesrin,

As for your question about OCR software, the best in the market is Sakhr OCR, but it is expensive. You can 'google' it and see

There is also another product called (Iris Readris Pro). It is OK, but still Sakhr is the best.

Good luck!

Awad Balaish
Awad Balaish
Arabia Saudită
din arabă în engleză
+ ...
Hi Nesrin Jun 7, 2006

I was about to put the same inquiry, because I wold like to install CAT tool on my PC. I hope now you could manage and sift all comments / answers and reach a final decision.

Therefore, I wonder if you could do me a favour and advice me by means of a message through Proz. com

Thank you in advance for your cooperation

Awadh

Nesrin
Regatul Unit
din engleză în arabă
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
I went for Trados Jun 7, 2006

Hi Awadh,

I went ahead and bought Trados a couple of months ago, simply because more people use it and I was told that it works well with Arabic. That is not to say that DejaVu and Wordfast are less suited of course - I can't judge what I haven't tried.
If you do buy Trados, I strongly recommend that you receive some sort of training at first. I didn't receive any training - and I am now working well on it (so it's possible), but it was a painful process! And I am sure there
... See more
Hi Awadh,

I went ahead and bought Trados a couple of months ago, simply because more people use it and I was told that it works well with Arabic. That is not to say that DejaVu and Wordfast are less suited of course - I can't judge what I haven't tried.
If you do buy Trados, I strongly recommend that you receive some sort of training at first. I didn't receive any training - and I am now working well on it (so it's possible), but it was a painful process! And I am sure there are functions which I've still never used and am not aware of...
Good luck,

Nesrin
Collapse

Nesrin
Regatul Unit
din engleză în arabă
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Thanks Mohamed Jun 7, 2006

Thanks Mohamed (and sorry for the late reply) - I haven't purchased an OCR software yet, but I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

Sam Berner
Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:11
Membru (2003)
din engleză în arabă
+ ...
I use Wordfast Jul 12, 2006

Quick, simple and it took me two hours to learn it.

We had a large project, three translators in different parts of the world - Wordfast was a God sent.

I did my market research, and Trados lost on two counts:

(a) price

(b) the ration of complains about it stuffing up as compared to Wordfast.

Yves Champellion is my hero

libhf
libhf
Statele Unite
Local time: 11:11
din engleză în arabă
+ ...
You made a good choice Jul 17, 2006

Dear Nesrin,

I have been working in Trados for more than five years. Like you, I had no formal training. I got comfortable with it sooner than I thought I would.

I started with version 6 Freelance then upgraded to Version 7 early this year. Now I am running 7.5. A few days ago I tried MultiTerm Extract and loved it. I went ahead and got a license for that too. It is a real time saver.

I find Winalign to be most useful. I use that application continuously
... See more
Dear Nesrin,

I have been working in Trados for more than five years. Like you, I had no formal training. I got comfortable with it sooner than I thought I would.

I started with version 6 Freelance then upgraded to Version 7 early this year. Now I am running 7.5. A few days ago I tried MultiTerm Extract and loved it. I went ahead and got a license for that too. It is a real time saver.

I find Winalign to be most useful. I use that application continuously to convert preTrados jobs and feed them into the TM.

One thing I don't like about Trados is their support policy. Just because you pay for a license does not entitle you to support, even for a limited period of time.

I feel that if you dish out a hunk of money on something, you are entitled to some form of [limited] free support.

I don't know how it is with other CAT publishers. Anyway, that's water under the bridge now. I try to find my answers, and usually do, with a bit of patience and perseverance.

Good luck and please post your Trados questions/issues. We can all learn from each other in the absence of a good comapny support policy.

Best,

Hikmat

Nesrin wrote:

Hi all,
I am seriously considering investing in a CAT tool - Trados, DejaVu, Wordfast, and have read quite a bit about them, but I am still clueless as to which is the one most suited for an Arabic translator. I would love to hear your positive and negative experiences. Did you think that it was worth it? And what about OCR software, as usually Arabic texts come as hard copies and need to be converted?
THanks
Nesrin

[Edited at 2006-07-17 16:17]

[Edited at 2006-07-17 18:24]

[Edited at 2006-07-17 18:25]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools for Arabic translations

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »