What version of Arabic should be used for localization of Arabic website?
Thread poster: Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:33
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 28, 2014

Hello,

I'm planning to localize a website in Arabic and wonder if you could please give some advice regarding what version of Arabic to use. I don't speak Arabic myself.

We would like the Arabic version of the website to be as user-friendly, comprehensible and comfortable as possible for Arabic Internet users. The website is oriented to a broad range of people (8-80 years, both men and women, all educational levels, all professional and social backgrounds), and the Ara
... See more
Hello,

I'm planning to localize a website in Arabic and wonder if you could please give some advice regarding what version of Arabic to use. I don't speak Arabic myself.

We would like the Arabic version of the website to be as user-friendly, comprehensible and comfortable as possible for Arabic Internet users. The website is oriented to a broad range of people (8-80 years, both men and women, all educational levels, all professional and social backgrounds), and the Arabic version should be accessible to people across the entire Arabic-speaking world. The content is educational, pedagogical and sometimes somewhat academic in nature and the Arabic version(s) should keep an adequate style for such content but still be accessible to people of all ages, in all countries. (There is no "slang" or "informal language".)

In order to accomplish this, should we use only Modern Standard Arabic or should we use several different regional varieties of Arabic, one for each region or country (e.g. Egyptian Arabic, Libyan Arabic, Sudanese Arabic, Iraqi Arabic, etc.)?

What would you recommend?

Thank you,

Thomas

[Edited at 2014-12-28 23:12 GMT]
Collapse

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 11:33
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
MS Arabic Dec 28, 2014

Definitely go with Modern Standard Arabic. All Arabs understand it.
We, Arabs, barely understand the regional dialects of other parts in the Arab world, sometimes in the same country as well!

Instructions could be given to the translator to use simpler vocabulary options and writing style so that the content is easily comprehended by users from all walks of life. It's a common request.

Good luck!

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 01:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
MSA, as Noura Tawil advises. Also, simplify the "academic English". Dec 29, 2014

Greetings.

Go with the dialect-free, formal MSA, as Noura Tawil advises.

If I may also amplify on Noura's additional sound advice in her post, your customer (or the original writer, as may apply) should review the source text and then simplify the (often-convoluted and loaded with adjective-strings) writing style of "academic English" into "plain and clear English" to enable the into-Arabic translator to understand the intended meaning and then provide equivalent and a
... See more
Greetings.

If I may also amplify on Noura's additional sound advice in her post, your customer (or the original writer, as may apply) should review the source text and then simplify the (often-convoluted and loaded with adjective-strings) writing style of "academic English" into "plain and clear English" to enable the into-Arabic translator to understand the intended meaning and then provide equivalent and accurate Arabic renditions.

Also helpful to engage a translator who has a suitable background in education, pedagogy, androgogy (adult learning), and the concepts of teaching, training and learning.

Out of curiosity, what is that subject matter which encompasses or applies to such a wide age-range?

Hope this helps. Today is Monday, December 29, 2014.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke, M.Ed.
San Pedro (Los Angeles Waterfront Area), California

[Edited at 2014-12-29 18:00 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:33
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 29, 2014

shfranke wrote:

Greetings.

If I may also amplify on Noura's additional sound advice in her post, your customer (or the original writer, as may apply) should review the source text and then simplify the (often-convoluted and loaded with adjective-strings) writing style of "academic English" into "plain and clear English" to enable the into-Arabic translator to understand the intended meaning and then provide equivalent and accurate Arabic renditions.

Also helpful to engage a translator who has a suitable background in education, pedagogy, androgogy (adult learning), and the concepts of teaching, training and learning.

Out of curiosity, what is that subject matter which encompasses or applies to such a wide age-range?

Hope this helps. Today is Monday, December 29, 2014.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke, M.Ed.
San Pedro (Los Angeles Waterfront Area), California

[Edited at 2014-12-29 18:00 GMT]

Hello Noura and Stephen,

Thank you very much for your advice. I will go with Modern Standard Arabic.

Stephen, for confidentiality reasons I cannot reveal much about the website right now, as it is still work in progress, but suffice it to say that the website will publish content on a wide range of subjects and to a variety of age groups.

Best,

Thomas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What version of Arabic should be used for localization of Arabic website?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »