Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 08:31
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 14, 2023

Hello All,

The relatively new term "phygital" in its most simplistic definition is "the combination of physical and digital" customer experience. Rather than post reference links here, the reader can find many references via a quick web search.

There are couple of existing translations for the term "phygital":

1. The obvious "lazy" translation is simply the transliteration:

فيجيتال

The issue here is that once a transliterati
... See more
Hello All,

The relatively new term "phygital" in its most simplistic definition is "the combination of physical and digital" customer experience. Rather than post reference links here, the reader can find many references via a quick web search.

There are couple of existing translations for the term "phygital":

1. The obvious "lazy" translation is simply the transliteration:

فيجيتال

The issue here is that once a transliteration becomes a de facto standard, we are forced to deal with its disadvantages thereafter. An Arabic alternative that lends itself to Arabic language rules for plurals, gender, and declension is always a better choice; whether such an Arabic term is an adoption of an existing word from another context or a new coinage that has the look and feel of a true Arabic word.

2. The other obvious choice is just describing the term:

مادي/رقمي
المادي الرقمي

While sounding less alien than transliteration, this is too wordy and is just as problematic as transliteration when applying Arabic rules, or even more problematic.

My suggestion - New coined term:

رقماديّ

I contend that this coinage, once propagated, will sound as Arabic as its component terms رقمي and ماديّ. Moreover, all Arabic plural, gender and declension rules that apply to the word ماديّ can easily apply to the new term in a natural sounding way.

Needless to say, the coined term also reflects the required meaning in Arabic naturally and concisely too; just as the source term "phygital" does for English.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. If I get enough positive feedback, I might actually take the bold step of including the new term in a current translation project.
Collapse

Abdallh Abohadi

Muhammad Atallah
Muhammad Atallah  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
I agree. Apr 15, 2023

Hello Mr. Alaa,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the term "phygital." It's great to see efforts being made to find a suitable Arabic term for this relatively new concept.

I think your suggestion of "رقماديّ" has the potential to become widely used and recognized in the Arabic-speaking world.

Including a brief explanation of the term "رقماديّ" alongside its first usage may also be helpful in ensuring that readers fully comprehend its int
... See more
Hello Mr. Alaa,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the term "phygital." It's great to see efforts being made to find a suitable Arabic term for this relatively new concept.

I think your suggestion of "رقماديّ" has the potential to become widely used and recognized in the Arabic-speaking world.

Including a brief explanation of the term "رقماديّ" alongside its first usage may also be helpful in ensuring that readers fully comprehend its intended meaning. As the term becomes more widely used and recognized, the need for an explanation will likely diminish, and the term can be used on its own without any additional clarification.

I encourage you to pursue including this new term in your current translation project. I am positive that it will be well received and appreciated by your readers.

Thank you.

[Edited at 2023-04-15 10:50 GMT]
Collapse

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation of "phygital" Apr 15, 2023

Ahlan Muhammad,

Thanks for your positive feedback.

This is a short note I posted in the ATA ALD group forum on the term:

The link below provides a number of real world examples of phygital experiences. It is no
... See more
Ahlan Muhammad,

Thanks for your positive feedback.

This is a short note I posted in the ATA ALD group forum on the term:

The link below provides a number of real world examples of phygital experiences. It is not a synonym for virtual.

https://www.mobiquity.com/insights/the-future-is-phygital#:~:text=A%20classic%20example%20of%20phygital,in%20a%20specific%20physical%20space.

A good approximation is to consider phygital as a hybrid of both digital and physical experiences. For example, you physically sit at a restaurant table, but instead of looking up a paper menu, you use your mobile to scan a QR code to display the menu on your mobile and, optionally, make your order. Your order will then be delivered to your table by a waiter.

Regards,

Alaa
Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
English to Arabic
+ ...
فيجيتال Apr 17, 2023

في النهاية سيسود الاختيار "الأكسل" وإن تعددت الأسباب مثل:

- الأدق في الترجمة العكسية
- ينقل المعنى دون لبس
- غير متعدد (مذكر - مؤنث - مفرد - جمع)

الاستثناء: تبني وسائل الإعلام مصطلح بعنيه بكثافة بحيث يصبح أمرا واقعا. رغم ذلك لن ينقرض "فيجيتال".

طرحي السابق يستند إلى السوق وليس إلى ما يجب أن يكون.

Abdallh Abohadi

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
الأمر الواقع مقابل الخصائص Apr 22, 2023

شكرًا أحمد على التذكير بأن مصطلح الأمر الواقع قد يفرض نفسه. هذا وارد بالطبع وقد يراه البعض مثلك أمرًا راجحًا.

لكن ربما لم ينتشر مصطلح "فيجيتال" بعد إلى الدرجة التي تجعله أمرًا واقعًا. وعلى أي حال وبصرف النظر عن الأمر الواقع، يهمني أن أعرف تقييمك المجرد للمصطلح "رقمادي" بناءً على خصائص المفرد الجديد. فهلا تكرمت؟

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:31
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
لماذا الدمج؟ Apr 24, 2023

كلام العربية واضح، قد يصلح الدمج وقد لا يصلح فتبقى الكلمتان
لو عرض عليَّ هذا المصطلح لأبقيته "مادي رقمي" لضمان الإفهام

The Future is Phygital: Physical and Digital
المستقبل مادي رقمي

https://www.mobiquity.com/insights/the-future-is-phygital

وعيد سعيد مبارك للجميع

[Edited at 2023-04-24 08:32 GMT]

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
للدلالة على المعنى في إيجاز Apr 29, 2023

أولًا أشكرك على التعليق

‏معك حق أن الكلام العربي واضح، وكذلك فالكلام الإنجليزي واضح، فما كان الداعي إذن لمصطلح
phygital‏
إذا كانت عبارة
physical digital
‏تؤدي المعنى ويمكن حتى الربط بين الكلمتين بشرطة في الإنجليزية؟

والإجابة أن فوائد استخدام مفرد يدل عل
... See more
أولًا أشكرك على التعليق

‏معك حق أن الكلام العربي واضح، وكذلك فالكلام الإنجليزي واضح، فما كان الداعي إذن لمصطلح
phygital‏
إذا كانت عبارة
physical digital
‏تؤدي المعنى ويمكن حتى الربط بين الكلمتين بشرطة في الإنجليزية؟

والإجابة أن فوائد استخدام مفرد يدل على المعنى كثيرة في الصياغات المتخصصة والفنية على وجه الخصوص، وإلا فما الداعي لوجود مصطلحات من الأصل إذا كان من الممكن شرح كل ما نريد بعبارات وجمل؟ وتكفينا بعض الأخطاء السابقة (في رأيي المتواضع) التي وقعنا فيها ومن ثم أصبحت أمرًا واقعًا يعقد النصوص الفنية لكن من الصعب العدول عنها الآن. ومنها على سبيل المثال لا الحصر:

cookie : ملف تعريف الارتباط

والذي يضطر البعض أحيانًا إلى أن يضيفوا إليه تعريفًا للتعريف بالتعريف فيكتبون مثلًا "يُرجى تحديد خيارات ملفات تعريف الارتباط (الكوكيز)".

[Edited at 2023-04-29 00:42 GMT]
Collapse

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:31
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
قد يصلح وقد لا يصلح May 30, 2023

أهلا أخي علاء
قد يصلح الدمج وقد لا يصلح، فإن صلح فنعمَّا هو وإن لم يصلح فهذا ليس مشكلة لأن الكلام العربي قصير أصلًا

Eid Ashraf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feedback needed on new term for "phygital"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »