Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:26
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
Sep 6, 2021

Hello,

A new prospect in USA came to me with a quite promising offer. The company has real website, is represented at the stock exchange, has a Wikipedia page, etc. thus seems to exist and have no bad reputation. The emails I receive also bear the same address as the web site.

However, they keep sending me documents to fill in, with a very laborious recruiting process. As the weirdest demand I ever had in this regard, they ask me to send them my bank details as an audio
... See more
Hello,

A new prospect in USA came to me with a quite promising offer. The company has real website, is represented at the stock exchange, has a Wikipedia page, etc. thus seems to exist and have no bad reputation. The emails I receive also bear the same address as the web site.

However, they keep sending me documents to fill in, with a very laborious recruiting process. As the weirdest demand I ever had in this regard, they ask me to send them my bank details as an audio file.

Is this a legal process, and if yes, what is the use of it? The customer was not able to answer about the meaning of such a step.

Thanks in advance,
Geneviève.
Collapse

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
As long as they don't ask you for your PIN Sep 6, 2021

...they cannot do any harm, I guess, but it is strange and if they don't reply to your question to why they want it that way, it is even stranger.

expressisverbis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Geneviève Sep 6, 2021

Why on audio? Why in a written form is not enough? Some companies seem driven mad by bureaucracy! This client of yours reminded me of an American translation agency which first of all asked me if I was willing to do a short test. OK! No problem! After this was done and approved, asked for a photo (?), a signed NDA and a long list of other requirements and to top it all emailed me a so-called welcome pack having 34 pages for me to read, sign and return.

expressisverbis
philgoddard
Kevin Fulton
Philippe Etienne

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 06:26
English to Russian
+ ...
So did fake Zeiss, Macmillan et al... Sep 6, 2021

Geneviève Granger wrote:

send them my bank details as an audio file.

My evil mind tells me that in case of any fraud the fact that you've disclosed your bank details to them will be untraceable.

The fraudsters must be reading our forums very carefully:-).

The more paperwork they request, the higher is the mountain that blocks your road to actual jobs.

I'd run as fast as I could. As a minimum, I'd make sure that behind the correctly looking emails there is a living, breathing person working for that company. Also, try to contact their HR or head of the department.

Are "customer" and that crazy company one and the same?

Is this a translation agency? Other US companies have been reluctant to hire/contract foreigners lately ... Too much to explain and prove to Big Brother.

expressisverbis
Tina Vonhof (X)
Jean Lachaud
Daryo

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Is this a translation company beginning with T? Sep 6, 2021

If so, nothing would surprise me from them. But if they're going to issue such a bizarre request, they should at least tell you why.

Philippe Etienne

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:26
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
... Sep 6, 2021

I searched about this practice (asking audio file) on the internet but couldn't find anything. Considering that even the customer cant tell you anything about it, I kindly suggest you talk to your own bank first, before sending that information in an unusual format - at least for most of us, I guess.

Have a great week!

[Edited at 2021-09-06 11:05 GMT]

expressisverbis

Geneviève Granger
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No "T" Sep 6, 2021

philgoddard wrote:

Is this a translation company beginning with T?

No, this then another company, and a direct client.

[Edited at 2021-09-06 11:12 GMT]

Geneviève Granger
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Going to ask to my bank. Sep 6, 2021

Sarper Aman wrote:

I kindly suggest you talk to your own bank first, before sending that information in an unusual format - at least for most of us, I guess. [Edited at 2021-09-06 11:05 GMT]

This is a good idea, I am going to do so.

A great week to you too!

Geneviève

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:26
English to Turkish
I had a client like that one Sep 6, 2021

It wasn't a translation agency, and it starts with the letter A. After you mentioned it, I did a Google search and saw that they have a Wikipedia page (most interesting). It may be the same client.
It struck me odd when they wanted my bank details in an audio file or on the phone, and they didn't process my invoice until I complied with their unusual request.
They said it was to do with 'security'. I provided my details on the phone. No harm done so far, got paid in full, but I've
... See more
It wasn't a translation agency, and it starts with the letter A. After you mentioned it, I did a Google search and saw that they have a Wikipedia page (most interesting). It may be the same client.
It struck me odd when they wanted my bank details in an audio file or on the phone, and they didn't process my invoice until I complied with their unusual request.
They said it was to do with 'security'. I provided my details on the phone. No harm done so far, got paid in full, but I've never heard from them again.
Collapse

expressisverbis

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
What kind of audio form? Sep 6, 2021

Any particular requirements regarding the audio form (for example, did they specifically ask that you dictate this personally)? If not, they simply can use some screenreader app to generate audio from the text form.

In any case, if someone asks for unusual things, they should provide a good and verifiable reason why they want it.

Kevin Fulton
IrinaN
ahartje
Daryo

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
This is so true Sep 6, 2021

IrinaN wrote:

The more paperwork they request, the higher is the mountain that blocks your road to actual jobs.

So true.

Josephine Cassar
Jean Lachaud
Philip Lees
IrinaN
Daryo

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Possible Sep 6, 2021

Kay-Viktor Stegemann wrote:

Any particular requirements regarding the audio form (for example, did they specifically ask that you dictate this personally)? If not, they simply can use some screenreader app to generate audio from the text form.

In any case, if someone asks for unusual things, they should provide a good and verifiable reason why they want it.

The only possible reason is they want to hear you speaking in English.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 05:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
No bank details Sep 6, 2021

What I say to such requests: "When I have completed a job, my bank details will be on the invoice."

Michele Fauble
Philip Lees
IrinaN
Daryo

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:26
English to French
+ ...
But why bank information, then? Sep 6, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Geneviève Granger
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Security reasons" Sep 6, 2021

Jean Lachaud wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

They say now it is for security reasons, because voice cannot be falsified. But why should I send falsified bank data in my emails and on my invoices or how could it be done by others????

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sharing bank details in audio form?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »