Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Does the old translation industry still exist or has MT and outsourcing taken over?
Thread poster: Matthew Held
Juno Bos
Juno Bos  Identity Verified
Zambia
Local time: 08:43
Member (2011)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Maybe, but Nov 10, 2023

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

While the demand in Dutch may not be super high, the supply is rather low. You don’t have many competitors. Source: I worked as a project manager.

Let me help you out of a dream, IMHO we have (unfortunately) too many competitors! Not all of them equally talented I noticed, but most of them cheaper then me, but that is another discussion.

[Edited at 2023-11-07 20:18 GMT]

But let's be honest our language pair is still not "Spanish - English". And a low supply... haven't noticed.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:43
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Same writer every week Nov 11, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

How does one “train themselves in MTPE”? What is there to train about?

Imagine this:

You are assigned a job every week to translate or proofread an article of 2000 words written by the same writer every Wednesday and deliver it by Friday of the same week. The article is about something in the field which you work in or specialize in.

First time you got the assignment, it took you three hours to translate the 2000 word document.
But by repeating the same action every week, by the tenth week you are able to translate or proofread the article in 1.5 hours. That's half of what it took you to do in the first week.

You're getting used to doing this particular task not only because the material is written by the same writer but you are getting the hang of translating and/or proofreading. This also applies to MTPE and I guess this can be called training.

Lieven Malaise
Christopher Schröder
Zea_Mays

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:43
English to Turkish
Dutch courage Nov 11, 2023

Juno Bos wrote:
But let's be honest our language pair is still not "Spanish - English". And a low supply... haven't noticed.

I think you should thank your ancestors for not being too diligent in their colonization efforts like the Conquistadors. You certainly wouldn't have wanted any competition from Surinam, Indonesia or perhaps S. Africa...

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Humans vs machines Nov 11, 2023

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

You're getting used to doing this particular task not only because the material is written by the same writer but you are getting the hang of translating and/or proofreading. This also applies to MTPE and I guess this can be called training.
But how does it differ from correcting a human translation?

mroed

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:43
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
No difference Nov 12, 2023

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

But how does it differ from correcting a human translation?

Your brain is switched into a translation/proofreading mode, so there is no difference between correcting a human translation and a machine translation.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
There is a difference Nov 12, 2023

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Your brain is switched into a translation/proofreading mode, so there is no difference between correcting a human translation and a machine translation.

From my experience, there is a big difference: MT (=AI) output has fewer typos, spelling and grammar errors, while you have to pay close attention to logical errors. It can sound very convincing while stating something completely wrong, way more than human translations.

Kirill Loktionov
Jorge Payan
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
Tony Keily
Simon Sobrero

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Nov 12, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:
while you have to pay close attention to logical errors. It can sound very convincing while stating something completely wrong, way more than human translations.

I have to disagree on this. I think it is very human to make the most unlogical mistakes possible because of being distracted. A computer can't be distracted, so it won't do that. Yes, it can state something convincing that is completely wrong, but so can human translators. I don't see the problem. It is one of the core businesses of a human editor to find every mistake, 'well hidden' or not. It's not a specific challenge of MTPE, it's a continuous challenge for every form of editing and machine translation doesn't make that more difficult at all.

Baran Keki
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Contradiction? Nov 12, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

I have to disagree on this. I think it is very human to make the most unlogical mistakes possible because of being distracted. A computer can't be distracted, so it won't do that. Yes, it can state something convincing that is completely wrong, but so can human translators. I don't see the problem. It is one of the core businesses of a human editor to find every mistake, 'well hidden' or not. It's not a specific challenge of MTPE, it's a continuous challenge for every form of editing and machine translation doesn't make that more difficult at all.

Yet you routinely flame anyone who questions the magnificence of MTPE by saying they haven’t done enough of it so the couldn’t possibly know. Now you’re saying it’s basically the same as editing human translations, which it obviously is and which most of us have done plenty of. I’m a little confused 😂😂

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does the old translation industry still exist or has MT and outsourcing taken over?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »