Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How much can an agency ask for personal information?
Thread poster: Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:26
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
May help, but... Jan 28

Lingua 5B wrote:

License number may help them find out if you ever caused or been in some traffic violation, etc. But then they should provide the reasoning, and this kind of checks are done once you are about to sign the contract, not during application process.

I am pretty sure it’s some data collection for their own monetary gain. Automotive industry does a great deal of market research.

I'm skeptical whether they would be able to find out if I committed any traffic violations with a driver's license which is only valid in Japan without the aid of the FBI or the National Police Agency in Japan. And as you wrote above, I agree that if I were to sign a contract, and not during application process, but I reiterate that this job does not need to drive any vehicles of any sort.

Maybe the next thing they might ask which was not on the list may be my family history dating back to three or four generations, number of people in my family including not only my spouse and children but siblings, if I have any, and my uncles and aunts and their occupations, plus if anybody has any criminal record.

If this data collection has anything to do with the automotive industry, will they conduct a survey to people who's living outside the US?

Miranda Drew
Miranda Drew  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:26
Member (2009)
Italian to English
Sounds like a scam Jan 29

This really sounds like a scam. They do not need most of that information if you are freelance.

And the rate - if you are "on-demand" it is like being "on call". You have to be available for specific hours. In that case I INCREASE my hourly rate and demand payment for all the hours I am "on call".

Niina Lahokoski

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:26
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
5pm ~ 11pm Jan 30

Miranda Drew wrote:

This really sounds like a scam. They do not need most of that information if you are freelance.

And the rate - if you are "on-demand" it is like being "on call". You have to be available for specific hours. In that case I INCREASE my hourly rate and demand payment for all the hours I am "on call".

Hours are specific, 5pm ~ 11pm, and the rate is 20 USD/hour. The only difference between my usual freelance job is that the hours are designated and that I should be available during the aforementioned hours.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:26
French to English
Hanlon's razor Jan 30

I'm more inclined to think this is all doubling down on incompetence rather than malice (there is no conceivable reason for needing driving licence details, but there again, what exactly could they do with them anyway?) but whatever stance you take on that aspect, either way, it seems unlikely to lead to a fruitful and harmonious business relationship.

Especially since the original carrot of $120 for potentially doing nothing is no longer on offer...
See more
I'm more inclined to think this is all doubling down on incompetence rather than malice (there is no conceivable reason for needing driving licence details, but there again, what exactly could they do with them anyway?) but whatever stance you take on that aspect, either way, it seems unlikely to lead to a fruitful and harmonious business relationship.

Especially since the original carrot of $120 for potentially doing nothing is no longer on offer
Collapse

Arne Krueger
Dan Lucas
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
Local time: 07:26
German to English
+ ...
And... Jan 30

...He already mentioned it: seems to be an intermediary... God knows if they ever had a look at these docs... I would say this form is pretty standard, just like for any typical employee. Regarding the vehicle license: Maybe they have a cool car for you in store... WHO KNOWS??

The answer is actually very simple: Don't occupy yourself with stuff that you are not okay with... Question and issue solved.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much can an agency ask for personal information?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »