How to suggest books' translation to publishers?
Thread poster: darting arrow
darting arrow
darting arrow
Local time: 02:42
English to French
+ ...
Feb 1, 2006

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for hints about getting started as a translator for publishers.
I was told that offering to translate a book which has not been translated yet to appropriate publishers was a good idea.
Now, I should need advice on HOW to present the project and be convincing enough to be chosen as the one translator to do it.

My idea concerns French publishers, and any comments are welcome.

(I have already checked the book's rights h
... See more
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for hints about getting started as a translator for publishers.
I was told that offering to translate a book which has not been translated yet to appropriate publishers was a good idea.
Now, I should need advice on HOW to present the project and be convincing enough to be chosen as the one translator to do it.

(I have already checked the book's rights haven't been bought yet - info collected from the author's agent).

Thanks a lot!

Lily Rose
Collapse

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Post on the French forum too Feb 1, 2006

Ask over in the French forum too.
You may get more specific information from there!
Angela

LilyRose wrote:

(I have already checked the book's rights haven't been bought yet - info collected from the author's agent).

Thanks a lot!

Lily Rose

darting arrow
darting arrow
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have posted on french forum too Feb 1, 2006

Hi,

I've done it.

Thanks anyway.

Lily rose

Ingo Dierkschnieder
Ingo Dierkschnieder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:42
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Have a look in the forums Feb 1, 2006

Search in the forums for "book translation" (exact phrase) and you'll find a lot of discussions about this topic, for instance http://www.proz.com/post/215630#215630.

Good luck,

Ingo

darting arrow
darting arrow
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 2, 2006

Thanks,

Indeed, there are already very interesting discussions on the forum. Not precisely answering my questions, nor very encouraging but still.
I can understand that having a book translated is more a story of publisher's money and marketing than translator's willingness and phrasing...
But, hopefully some people will have suggestions on "how to" and "who with" get in touch in a publishing house/company. I guess this has already happened for at least very few prozcome
... See more
Thanks,

Indeed, there are already very interesting discussions on the forum. Not precisely answering my questions, nor very encouraging but still.
I can understand that having a book translated is more a story of publisher's money and marketing than translator's willingness and phrasing...
But, hopefully some people will have suggestions on "how to" and "who with" get in touch in a publishing house/company. I guess this has already happened for at least very few prozcomers. Please tell me your story.

I'm in no way going to translate any book for free, but I have several reasons to think that these fiction books for children have more than one interest for French young public. In that regard, so many books for young people were translated, I noticed that at the Salon du Livre Jeunesse in Paris last december: there, I got loads of booklets from publishers, which means I can easily browse and find the appropriate publisher and collection, etc... . Of course, I'm a lot into Potter and things like that, but I believe in the sentence "don't dream it, be it."

Lily Rose
Collapse

Anders Olsson (X)
Anders Olsson (X)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sales point? Feb 2, 2006

Hi Lily
I guess it´s more depending on the publisher´s money as you say, but the way you present the idea to the publisher can´t be without importance.

I´m just a novice when it comes to translation of literature but I am currently trying to get a publisher interested of a certain book. After investigating if the translation right were free, I spent quite some time choosing which publisher to contact first looking at their previously published translated books in the sam
... See more
Hi Lily
I guess it´s more depending on the publisher´s money as you say, but the way you present the idea to the publisher can´t be without importance.

I´m just a novice when it comes to translation of literature but I am currently trying to get a publisher interested of a certain book. After investigating if the translation right were free, I spent quite some time choosing which publisher to contact first looking at their previously published translated books in the same field. After chosing a couple of interesting publishers I studied the authour and how popular this book is in the authour´s home country as well as to what other languages it has been translated to. If the publisher don´t know the author to well I have to do the marketing of the book, and to be able to do it I have to know some sales points. So sales statistics or any other background information about this very book can´t be wrong when You present the project.

It would be interseting to hear some advice from anyone more experienced in translation of literature!

Good luck Lily!

Anders
Collapse

darting arrow
darting arrow
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
so now we're two people looking for advice... Feb 4, 2006

Hi Anders,

Thanks a lot for your comment, I'm interested in any related projects. So I hope yours will be successful too (let me know as it goes along please), and I'm waiting for other people's comments and advice while I get into figures and statistics about the author I'm willing to translate. A bit of marketing won't harm anyone...

Good luck to you too!

Lily Rose

Mwananchi
Mwananchi
Kenya
Local time: 03:42
Member (2006)
English to Swahili
+ ...
Swahili would certainly benefit from book translations. Feb 6, 2006

One language in dire need of book translations is Swahili. Most of what we have are dictionaries and similar material meant for tourists and students. There is very little literature for adults in the Swahili language.

Please inform the forum how you went about your task if you happen to succeed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to suggest books' translation to publishers?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »