Use your language, Use your English Summer School 2013
Thread poster: Ros Schwartz
Ros Schwartz
Ros Schwartz
Local time: 23:26
French to English
Mar 4, 2013

Following the great success of the last two Summer Schools, we are delighted to announce the third, expanded Summer School 2013. This five-day event will take place at Birkbeck University of London in central Bloomsbury (Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX: access via Torrington Square) on 22-26 July 2013. It comprises courses in translation into English from Chinese, French academic, French literary, German academic, German literary, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Swedish... See more
Following the great success of the last two Summer Schools, we are delighted to announce the third, expanded Summer School 2013. This five-day event will take place at Birkbeck University of London in central Bloomsbury (Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX: access via Torrington Square) on 22-26 July 2013. It comprises courses in translation into English from Chinese, French academic, French literary, German academic, German literary, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Swedish – each class subject to a minimum group-size of five students – and, for the first time this year, a full course in Editing; plus additional editing skills classes for all. There will also be games, a competition, meet-the-publishers, and guest lectures and workshops. Videos showing extracts from earlier events can be found on the website (url above). Applicants must be English mother tongue translators.
Though hotel accommodation is readily available in the Bloomsbury area, we have block-booked 30 single rooms in one of London University’s international student halls for the five nights 21-25 July inclusive, on a first-come-first-served basis. The rooms are fairly basic, ie bed, desk etc with no en-suite and you would share the bathroom & a basic pantry, but they include breakfast, and you can also get dinner in hall by booking on the day (see http://www.halls.london.ac.uk/visitor/garden/Default.aspx). Further information on this accommodation can be obtained from [email protected] . To obtain one of these rooms, make sure you tick the box on the online booking form and add £210 to your payment.
Summer School fees: Full fee: £450; student fee: £300. Bursaries available: deadline 26 April 2013. The online booking form is now open at https://www2.bbk.ac.uk/european/.
Extracts from the feedback on last year’s Summer School:
‘The Summer School exceeded my expectations. All classes, workshops & talks were engaging & interesting, and really helped me to reconsider translation methods’.
‘[The best thing was] having the chance to gain insight into how others approach translation and to discuss ideas & techniques with other people who are as enthusiastic about languages as I am’.
‘I enjoyed everything! It was amazing being able to experience two tutors of translation with their differing styles; being able to prioritise the techniques in two different languages, plus attending all the fascinating talks. The “fun” bits were great too, ie thetranslation slam & game’.

With best wishes, and hoping to see you soon,
Naomi Segal, Ros Schwartz and Amanda Hopkinson
Collapse

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:26
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
For those thinking of attending... Mar 6, 2013

I attended last year and thought it was fantastic. The whole event was very well organized, with excellent tutors and brilliant presentations. It was also a great opportunity for networking with fellow translators and even editors. I would highly recommend it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use your language, Use your English Summer School 2013

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »