How much time do you spend researching terms with MT-PE?
Thread poster: Emal Ghamsharick
Emal Ghamsharick
Emal Ghamsharick  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:13
English to German
+ ...
Aug 10, 2021

Dear Colleagues,
I've been looking for figures on how long translators spend researching terms vs. other activities, such as typing, creating projects, paraphrasing, etc.
I also wonder whether there's any big difference in term research effort between MT-PE and manual translation. I would think it depends on how well maintained and reliable the TM and term base are. I would also think it depends on the translator's experience; as a rookie, I spent too much time researching general ex
... See more
Dear Colleagues,
I've been looking for figures on how long translators spend researching terms vs. other activities, such as typing, creating projects, paraphrasing, etc.
I also wonder whether there's any big difference in term research effort between MT-PE and manual translation. I would think it depends on how well maintained and reliable the TM and term base are. I would also think it depends on the translator's experience; as a rookie, I spent too much time researching general expressions that nowadays I would just paraphrase without consulting a dictionary and too little time researching specialized terms that have multiple options in the target language.
Are you aware of any research or could you share your own experiences?
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:13
English to Russian
None Aug 10, 2021

I don't accept any work other than translation.
Reviewing, proofreading, editing, MTPEtting... No.

Emal Ghamsharick
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not just MT-PE, but also MT feature in CAT tool Aug 10, 2021

I should have clarified - I don't mean only "real" MT-PE projects. I personally use 2-3 MT engines in my CAT tool for suggestions, but of course none of them use the exact terminology I want. So even if the suggestions are syntactically and semantically fine, I often spend a lot of time researching and replacing terms.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Terms Aug 10, 2021

Emal Ghamsharick wrote:

I should have clarified - I don't mean only "real" MT-PE projects. I personally use 2-3 MT engines in my CAT tool for suggestions, but of course none of them use the exact terminology I want. So even if the suggestions are syntactically and semantically fine, I often spend a lot of time researching and replacing terms.

Once you’ve researched your terminology, you can use a CAT tool that inserts your terms into the MT suggestions.

Michael Davies

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
Researching terms Aug 11, 2021

Irrespective of how the translation has been done - i.e. MT or manual, I always reasearch the term if there is any doubt since the overall quality of the translation is heavily dependent upon the correct translation of terms. Grammar and spelling control, on the other hand, are standard features of word processing software (such as MS Word) or, e.g., Grammarly (if the target language is UK English) so can to some extent be automated (with care!).

[Edited at 2021-08-11 09:25 GMT]

Emal Ghamsharick
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Aug 11, 2021

@ German Dutch Engineering Translation - Please tell me more about this CAT tool that inserts terms automatically into the MT segments In the tools I know, the suggestions usually show up in the side pane and you have to insert them using keyboard shortcuts.

@ Michael - Perceived quality, especially, because one if the languages in your pair is English, clients can usually tell very easily if you've used their termino
... See more
@ German Dutch Engineering Translation - Please tell me more about this CAT tool that inserts terms automatically into the MT segments In the tools I know, the suggestions usually show up in the side pane and you have to insert them using keyboard shortcuts.

@ Michael - Perceived quality, especially, because one if the languages in your pair is English, clients can usually tell very easily if you've used their terminology or not. When it comes to syntax, clients may feel that a translation sounds strange, but they can't easily articulate what bugs them.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much time do you spend researching terms with MT-PE?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »