Thread poster: Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:14
English to French
+ ...
Sep 5, 2021

Since many tools are now getting to offer options to add a glossary to influence MT output and avoid having to F/R after the fact, in some situations, this feature can be leveraged to anonymise what is sent to MT before the MT sees it, and I think this may be interesting to some of you. Let me explain:

Among tools I know that offer the function are: DeepL, Intento and GT4T. The only one handling that on your local machine is GT4T.

So, what happens with GT4T is that when
... See more
Since many tools are now getting to offer options to add a glossary to influence MT output and avoid having to F/R after the fact, in some situations, this feature can be leveraged to anonymise what is sent to MT before the MT sees it, and I think this may be interesting to some of you. Let me explain:

Among tools I know that offer the function are: DeepL, Intento and GT4T. The only one handling that on your local machine is GT4T.

So, what happens with GT4T is that when you add a term to your glossary in GT4T (glossary stored on your computer), GT4T recognises the term in the source, replaces it with a GT4T tag and sends the sentence to MT with a tag instead of your glossary word. So, the MT you’re using never sees the glossary term and returns the translated sentence with the tag in it.

So, a use of that could be to add terms/name you wish to keep private on your local glossary so that the MT you’re connecting to never sees them.

I made a video about GT4T here: https://youtu.be/XgPhkUXUTis the process I described above is shown at 8:11 if you want to jump straight to it.
My bests to all! 😊
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran Espresso ... again Sep 6, 2021

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Among tools I know that offer the function are: DeepL, Intento and GT4T. The only one handling that on your local machine is GT4T

CafeTran Espresso can mask words before sending segments them to MT engines. GT4T's feature was developed after CafeTran Espresso's introduction of the feature. For RWS Studio, a plugin exists.

Philippe Locquet
Georgi Kovachev

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:14
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cool Sep 6, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:
CafeTran Espresso can mask words before sending segments them to MT engines. GT4T's feature was developed after CafeTran Espresso's introduction of the feature. For RWS Studio, a plugin exists.

Thanks for that, you're right! (BTW, I meant MT tools, DeepL, Intento and GT4T are all straight MT tools or MT).
What I like about doing it this way is that it's not CAT-dependant, so that gives some flexibility.
Be well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anonymizing some specific words before sending to MT

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »