Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:34
English to French
+ ...
Sep 17, 2021

Hi all,

I just got this news today and found it pretty impressive.
Most of the tutorials we search for online are in English and subtitling is not always optimal to say the least. An MT-driven solution has been released to auto translate speech to speech real-time when watching a YouTube video (for English to Russian only at the moment AFAIK).

To use it you need to download Yandex browser, then when opening a YouTube video, you will see a banner and buttons offeri
... See more
Hi all,

I just got this news today and found it pretty impressive.
Most of the tutorials we search for online are in English and subtitling is not always optimal to say the least. An MT-driven solution has been released to auto translate speech to speech real-time when watching a YouTube video (for English to Russian only at the moment AFAIK).

To use it you need to download Yandex browser, then when opening a YouTube video, you will see a banner and buttons offering speech translation, just click to turn it on. You will get a female voice in Russian (Alice I think). The speed is quite good.

I don't speak Russian, so I can't evaluate the translation, but I'm sure many of you will be able to comment on this. If the quality is OK, that will be useful to watch tutorials.

My bests to all
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Philippe Sep 17, 2021

Philippe Locquet wrote:
You will get a female voice in Russian (Alice I think). The speed is quite good. ... I don't speak Russian, so I can't evaluate the translation...

Tried it. Can't speak Russian either, but it sounds quite good. Alice has a very deep bass voice. Too many steroids? Oh, wait, no I didn't get the female voice. To me, it defaulted to a male voice. The speaking speed matches the video speed quite nicely. It can't do singing (yet).

Philippe Locquet

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:34
English to Russian
Yandex.Browser required Sep 17, 2021

The feature only works with Yandex browser, one of the least popular browsers. I don't know a single person among my acquaintance that uses it at all.

Peng Zi
Peng Zi  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:34
Member (2021)
Russian to Chinese
+ ...
Яндекс---Cool browser! Sep 17, 2021

The Yandex is very cool. Its browser is very cool. In my country especially in the IT fields people all have respect to Yandex. MT of Yandex is good ! I compared it whti the Google DeepL, it is good enough (no better than them

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
I tried it and the experience is frustrating Sep 17, 2021

I installed Yandex browser (and already deinstalled it) and tried a Russian voiceover of an English YouTube video. It is, as MT nowadays is, full of mistranslation, false translator's friends, and word-for-word replacement. I have got a headache after 2 minutes of listening to it - above all, this monotonic robotic voice is depressing. You can get a general sense of what is being said, but you will not be wiser afterward.

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ouch! Sep 17, 2021

Oksana Weiss wrote:

I installed Yandex browser (and already deinstalled it) and tried a Russian voiceover of an English YouTube video. It is, as MT nowadays is, full of mistranslation, false translator's friends, and word-for-word replacement. I have got a headache after 2 minutes of listening to it - above all, this monotonic robotic voice is depressing. You can get a general sense of what is being said, but you will not be wiser afterward.

Wow, I didn't expect the language to be that bad! From feedback I had in the past from colleagues, Yandex MT is supposed to be good in En-Ru, so I was hoping this could be useful. Maybe this will stick to the realm of non-critical cooking videos then...
Thanks for the language feedback!

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
I can't quite believe I'm reading this Sep 17, 2021

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Wow, I didn't expect the language to be that bad!

Well, I have to say I never expected to see a professional translator actually promoting MT on a ProZ forum!

Anton Konashenok

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:34
English to Russian
Here we go again Sep 17, 2021

Victoria Britten wrote:
I never expected to see a professional translator actually promoting MT on a ProZ forum!
What is wrong with simply sharing one's experience about translation tools? If you can't use MT, it does not mean that nobody can.

expressisverbis
esperantisto
Philippe Locquet

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Victoria, I'm sorry to let you know, and I speak for myself Sep 18, 2021

When we see automatic translation as one of the subjects that is taught in academic translation courses, it is expected that translators provide information and share their experience on a translation site and/or another professional context.
I believe this is more about how translators (can) use technology (Machine Translation) as a tool.
For example, automatic translation can be a good asset for speeding up your translations, and for storing them because you can build your transla
... See more
When we see automatic translation as one of the subjects that is taught in academic translation courses, it is expected that translators provide information and share their experience on a translation site and/or another professional context.
I believe this is more about how translators (can) use technology (Machine Translation) as a tool.
For example, automatic translation can be a good asset for speeding up your translations, and for storing them because you can build your translation memories.
At the end of the day, we use the tools that we consider the most appropriate for doing our job... that's all.

[Edited at 2021-09-18 00:41 GMT]
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Philippe Locquet
Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Watch any English YouTube tutorial MT voice-overed to Russian

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »