boostrer
boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:14
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
May 26, 2014

An XLF file I imported into MemoQ, was segmented by the paragraph marks; the dots were ignored. The segmentation rules were standard MemoQ rules.

Whereas I can segment it manually, I would prefer to do this automatically (the file is very large). + I would like to understand, why it happened.

Thank you in advance.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:14
English to Polish
+ ...
Non standard spaces after dots? May 26, 2014

Maybe the spaces after the dots are non standard, such as non-breaking or other. Just guessing.

boostrer wrote:

An XLF file I imported into MemoQ, was segmented by the paragraph marks; the dots were ignored. The segmentation rules were standard MemoQ rules.

Whereas I can segment it manually, I would prefer to do this automatically (the file is very large). + I would like to understand, why it happened.

Thank you in advance.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just one idea May 26, 2014

Maybe I am wrong here, but doesn't memoQ take whatever segmentation was there already in the XLIFF file? What tool was the XLIFF file made with? Maybe you can talk with whoever made that XLIFF file, since they might have wrong segmentation rules.

boostrer
boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:14
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution May 26, 2014

"Import with options">"Change settings and filters"> Check "Segment source if no seg-source is present for trans-unit"

2 Tomas
Yes, you are right, but this method allows overriding the original segmentation.

[Edited at 2014-05-26 21:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-05-27 05:03 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great May 27, 2014

boostrer wrote:
"Import with options">"Change settings and filters"> Check "Segment source if no seg-source is present for trans-unit"

Good to know! Thanks a lot for sharing it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation of text in an XLF file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »