Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:31
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 15, 2016

Hello Collegues
I'm working on Windows 7 - Office 2010 on a Virtual Machine with Parallels.

I've installed Office 2010 to get the spellchecker for MemoQ. But it seems there are no dictionaries and spellcheck is not allowed. This problem also affects Word documents, therefore it seems the problem is Office and not MemoQ.

The strange, is that I also use Studio 2014 on the same Windows/VM and I could run spellcheck even if there was not Office installed.

... See more
Hello Collegues
I'm working on Windows 7 - Office 2010 on a Virtual Machine with Parallels.

I've installed Office 2010 to get the spellchecker for MemoQ. But it seems there are no dictionaries and spellcheck is not allowed. This problem also affects Word documents, therefore it seems the problem is Office and not MemoQ.

The strange, is that I also use Studio 2014 on the same Windows/VM and I could run spellcheck even if there was not Office installed.

Do you have any idea how I can get the spellchecker?

Thanks
Lucia
Collapse

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 09:31
English to Russian
Re: where to get the spellchecker Jan 15, 2016

Hello Lucia,

You need to check whether you have the appropriate proofing languages installed inside Microsoft Office. Open Word, go to File - Options - Language and check which languages are installed (see the following screenshot: https://gyazo.com/0ec06da1f7b701121e1bf7f71c5fb05f ). If it says Not Enabled for a particular language, then you need to purchase a Microsoft Of
... See more
Hello Lucia,

You need to check whether you have the appropriate proofing languages installed inside Microsoft Office. Open Word, go to File - Options - Language and check which languages are installed (see the following screenshot: https://gyazo.com/0ec06da1f7b701121e1bf7f71c5fb05f ). If it says Not Enabled for a particular language, then you need to purchase a Microsoft Office language pack for this language and your version of Office.

Another way to verify is to open a document in that language and try to check its spelling with F7 in Word.

After you have installed the language pack, memoQ should be able to use the Office spellchecker if the appropriate setting is enabled in memoQ options.

Best regards,
Stanislav
Collapse

Maria Popova
Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:31
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
Same problem with memoQ Jan 15, 2016

I face the same problem with memoQ 2015. My MS Word 2010 runs with the spell checker Cyrilla Correct 10 which does not work properly with memoQ 2015. I didn't have this issue with memoQ 2014. I suppose we should turn to the memoQ support.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Until you get a reply from Kilgray support, Jan 15, 2016

you can borrow Hunspell dictionaries from your SDL =)
Browse the SDL folder to find the Hunspell files. The files you need are en.zip, it.zip, bg.zip, etc.
You can add those dictionaries in 'Tools' -> 'Options' -> 'Spell settings' -> select first language -> check the Hunspell radio buttons -> 'Install new dictionary from file' -> browse the zip file that you found in SDL folder -> 'Add' -> check the box -> Ok.
Repeat for all languages you need.

[Edited at 2016-01-15 11:
... See more
you can borrow Hunspell dictionaries from your SDL =)
Browse the SDL folder to find the Hunspell files. The files you need are en.zip, it.zip, bg.zip, etc.
You can add those dictionaries in 'Tools' -> 'Options' -> 'Spell settings' -> select first language -> check the Hunspell radio buttons -> 'Install new dictionary from file' -> browse the zip file that you found in SDL folder -> 'Add' -> check the box -> Ok.
Repeat for all languages you need.

[Edited at 2016-01-15 11:54 GMT]
Collapse

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for this trick Jan 15, 2016

Thanks for this hint. I'll try this but it is strange that memoQ doesn't allow me to get the Dictionary.

However, I think it is a problem due to Office. In fact, I don't even get the spellchecker with a word doc. I don't know where i can enable the spellchecker in Word/Excel.

Lucia

Mikhail Popov
Mikhail Popov
Montenegro
English to Russian
+ ...
Hunspell Jan 15, 2016

I've never managed to connect MS Word spellcheck in memoQ. It allows me to switch it on, provides no error messages, but it just doesn't work.
Hunspell works fine, so I will recommend to use it.

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll use Hunspell Jan 16, 2016

Thanks for all your tips and attention!

I think I'll use Hunspell. I've seen that Kilgray allows you to use Hunspell downloading dictionaries for free.

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Language terminal Jan 16, 2016

I'm a newbie at MemoQ, and I'm just discovering its interesting qualities.

Do you what is Language Terminal?

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
A bit wrong information Jan 16, 2016

Lucia, I gave you wrong information. You will not find zip files in SDL folder. You need to find Hunspell files, copy them somewhere and then make a zip file by yourself.
This is the route you need:
C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio4\HunspellDictionaries
For example, there are 6 pairs of English files:
1. en_AU.aff
2. en_AU.dic
3. en_CA.aff
4. en_CA.dic
5. en_GB.aff
6. en_GB.dic
7. en_NZ.aff
8. en_NZ.dic
9. en_U
... See more
Lucia, I gave you wrong information. You will not find zip files in SDL folder. You need to find Hunspell files, copy them somewhere and then make a zip file by yourself.
This is the route you need:
C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio4\HunspellDictionaries
For example, there are 6 pairs of English files:
1. en_AU.aff
2. en_AU.dic
3. en_CA.aff
4. en_CA.dic
5. en_GB.aff
6. en_GB.dic
7. en_NZ.aff
8. en_NZ.dic
9. en_US.aff
10. en_US.dic
11. en_ZA.aff
12. en_ZA.dic
You can either choose 1 pair or all 12 files and zip them as en.zip
The same applies to it_IT.aff & it_IT.dic
Then follow the above-mentioned instructions.
Collapse

gonzalo_kilgray
gonzalo_kilgray
Hungary
Contact Kilgray Support Jan 18, 2016

Hello everyone,

We have taken a look at the information in the thread with members of the Kilgray support team, and we have concluded it is best that you contact support for this situation.

Just to clarify:

MS spellcheck only works in memoQ if you have it enabled in MS Word itself for that language. In the original post Lucia mentioned that her spellchecker does not work in MS office either so logically it won't work in memoQ as well.

If you ar
... See more
Hello everyone,

We have taken a look at the information in the thread with members of the Kilgray support team, and we have concluded it is best that you contact support for this situation.

Just to clarify:

MS spellcheck only works in memoQ if you have it enabled in MS Word itself for that language. In the original post Lucia mentioned that her spellchecker does not work in MS office either so logically it won't work in memoQ as well.

If you are experiencing trouble with this, please contact us at [email protected] - There can be many reasons as to why this is happening, from compatibility issues between memoQ and your MS Office, your own configuration settings in Office or maybe also your own configuration settings in memoQ.

Cheers,

Gonzalo Fernandez
Kilgray Translation Technologies

[Edited at 2016-01-18 14:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-01-18 14:20 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
MS Word spellchecker Jan 25, 2016

Mikhail Popov wrote:
I've never managed to connect MS Word spellcheck in memoQ. It allows me to switch it on, provides no error messages, but it just doesn't work.

After you choose MS Word spellchecker radio buttons, you need to close active document and project. Once you re-open it, MS Word spellchecker works fine. It does not work just as soon as you turn it on, that's why you cannot see the expected effect.

By the way, Pavel Tsvetkov's statement in his review ("5. On-the-fly spell checking using Microsoft spell checker (Déjà vu X3 and MemoQ still cannot figure that out)") is wrong. memoQ _can_.

[Edited at 2016-01-25 10:02 GMT]

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hunspell Jan 25, 2016

In the end I downloaded the hunspell dictionaries from the memoQ ftp which is in the MemoQ system. And it runs perfectly.

Thanks to all of you who helped me

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spellchecker not working with memoQ

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »